• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA basketball covers - surely there are some?

33 posts in this topic

I posted this 1957 WDC&S to the galleries recently and a fellow boardie suggested that it might be one of the first basketball covers. That seemed unlikely, but I can't call to mind any earlier ones, and even "True Sport Picture Stories" (1942-49) never ran a basketball cover. So... does anyone have an earlier one?

large.1206232300_WDCS2054CC.jpg.ff5c685ccff06c6f6c8da4a59e668008.jpg

Your post reminded me about this one, and how i stupidly forgot to bid on a slabbed high grade copy years ago at auction closing.

Snagged this off of MCS (they grade it an 8.0). It's kind of a 'key' in my mind because the Looney Tunes are closely tied with the sport due to the movie 'Space Jam' with Michael Jordan -a classic to the generation who discovered the Looney Tunes through it (and the sequel is coming this summer to theaters and hbomax with Lebron James). 

'Hare Jordan' Bugs is known as when he laces up (a stretch to call it his first Hare Jordan appearance, lol,) but the book is one i had to have in the collection because of this of this fun coincidence. Notable in my mind. 

It beats the Ducks cover by a few years @AJDas its from 1954.

Will get a proper scan when it arrives. Wouldn't have checked if not for your Thread (thumbsu

Looney Tunes 147.jpg

Well, that answers that. Thanks guys. The More Fun #41 is March 1939, which is the first so far. I checked Mickey Mouse Magazine and the Funnies, and neither of those had a basketball cover earlier than that. @thunsicker's GCD search seems to confirm that as the first.