• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is up with the Toby Black Knight #1?

17 posts in this topic

I have to admit, I find the size of the recent price run up of the Atlas Black Knight #1 a bit perplexing, considering it just barely ties in with the Black Knight that is getting the pre-movie hype right now, but at least there is a reason collectors have decided it's the next TTA #13. What is truly crazy are these ebay prices on the Toby Black Knight, which has zero relationship to the Eternals movie, as far as I know. 

The first I thought was either a confused buyer with too much money or a shill BIN by a seller looking to boost perceived value on other copies they've hoarded. Likely "refunded" in the later case to avoid fees, as ebay still lists an item as "sold" even if it is returned or otherwise refunded.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Knight-1-CBCS-2-0-1st-appearance-Black-Knight-1953-1955-Eternals-/143949728320?hash=item2184128a40%3Ag%3AQxwAAOSw7AZgKrwL&nma=true&si=riKgkbUZCpLMUqcqPiL%2BViAtsQg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Then another seller from NJ posts this copy for sale with the same text in their listing, giving more credence to my suspicions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Knight-1-CBCS-6-0-1st-appearance-Black-Knight-1953-1955-Eternals/353134658141?hash=item523877425d:g:IyYAAOSwENFfCbBO

Then the same seller who sells the first copy, lists another as an auction, with three separate bidders at $2000 or over right now. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Knight-1-CGC-4-0-1st-appearance-Black-Knight-1953-1955-Eternals/143965293232?hash=item2185000ab0:g:s9MAAOSwga1gPZxb

So is this a scheme to rope in unsuspecting buyers into thinking the book is hot, and related to the Eternals movie as well, or has movie hype fever jumped the shark?

I see Heritage sold a higher grade copy for multiples of guide nearly a year ago, but hard to say if that wasn't just one of those Heritage bidding wars gone wrong (or right for the seller), or reflected spillover interest in the title from the Atlas attention.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/black-knight-1-toby-publishing-1953-cgc-vf-75-white-pages/a/122016-15056.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Toby is the real  Deal... its the 1st app of the original black knight in all comics and super rare ...I paid 2k for my copy. it pre dates Atlas. I believe Black Knight  will be everywhere once he is the main star in mcu. I highly recommend getting one before unreachable if you could find one anymore 

On 3/5/2021 at 2:34 PM, Scrooge said:

Also, FWIW, I guess I appreciate this one more than before ... -

999305478_TheBlackKnight-Toby-1.jpg.042ca83f6edac40d15c3666e137d873e.jpg

no no no this is the "real" first appearnce , ignore that it's a reprint like Star Wars 42. :) 

BlackKnight011IW.jpg

On 3/5/2021 at 9:57 AM, Original Black Knight said:

Toby is the real  Deal... its the 1st app of the original black knight in all comics and super rare ...I paid 2k for my copy. it pre dates Atlas. I believe Black Knight  will be everywhere once he is the main star in mcu. I highly recommend getting one before unreachable if you could find one anymore 

Was this a serious post?  Move over Spider-Man, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, etc., the Black Knight is about to become "the main star" in the MCU.  Wow. 

55 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Was this a serious post?  Move over Spider-Man, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, etc., the Black Knight is about to become "the main star" in the MCU.  Wow. 

Perhaps the poster meant the main star in the Tobyverse, though it's going to be hard to unseat Super-Brat.

On 3/8/2021 at 1:49 PM, Spyder! said:

yup you will see because he had the god killer weapon that will be used later on ... plus the eternals movie goes back in time.... where it started...magic and the black knight(original) I would not be surprised if they make a disney plus show of black knight or movie... thats why they recently released the facsimile edition and his own series in comics so people can get familiar with his story.....YUP