• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Staples on top of the book very far .........
1 1

20 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

It may not affect the grade but it very much decreases my interest in purchasing.  

Staple positioning like the book shown is far from rare.  2c

Oh no kidding , it looked so odd to me , I have never seen a book look like this before . 

4 hours ago, Corallas said:

Oh no kidding , it looked so odd to me , I have never seen a book look like this before . 

I have a few Silver Age books that have the staples offset like this, but don't remember seeing them as often on Bronze Age books.

I agree with @Randall Dowling in that they may not affect the grade since this is how the book was produced...

26 minutes ago, silverseeker said:

I have a few Silver Age books that have the staples offset like this, but don't remember seeing them as often on Bronze Age books.

I agree with @Randall Dowling in that they may not affect the grade since this is how the book was produced...

That's correct. BUT if those staples are added, then it's the same as tape, the book ends up in the VG range.

7 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

It may not affect the grade but it very much decreases my interest in purchasing.  

Agreed with this across the board.  Although the stapling tech in general has improved over the decades, so seeing this on a bronze age book is a bit surprising but not unknown.  Gold and even silver this is pretty common, though.

1 minute ago, joeypost said:

Are they the only staples on the book?

Looks like the bottom staples are here

image.png.1a13f068ff0b8f1d3dbb65c560d00251.png

2 minutes ago, greggy said:

Looks like the bottom staples are here

image.png.1a13f068ff0b8f1d3dbb65c560d00251.png

If that's the case the additional staples will result in a grade hit. It's too bad, as it looks like a nice copy. 

16 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Yeah, it's not that unusual on older books. Charltons are famous for it but that's because they didn't appear to have any sort of quality control. 

Check out the staple placement on my ASM 27 (complete with reading crease along the staple line)

ASM27.JPG

29 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

OOOf, then yeah, this will take a big hit. I think you lose half the points as a starting point, same as having tape on the cover.

I think you guys might be misinterpreting @greggy's post.  The OP posted an overall image of the book and a close up of the top staple.  I read Greggy's post as enlarging the overall photo and identifying the factory staple at the bottom of the book.  I don't see any indication of extra staples but I may be missing something.  (shrug)

13 hours ago, William-James88 said:

That's correct. BUT if those staples are added, then it's the same as tape, the book ends up in the VG range.

Yes that was my thought , they looked so odd that they looked unnatural 

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

Yeah, it's not that unusual on older books. Charltons are famous for it but that's because they didn't appear to have any sort of quality control. 

Check out the staple placement on my ASM 27 (complete with reading crease along the staple line)

ASM27.JPG

Ahhhh yes this one is pretty far too , how does the book read when you open it ? Can you see to the edges of the spine ? 

5 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I think you guys might be misinterpreting @greggy's post.  The OP posted an overall image of the book and a close up of the top staple.  I read Greggy's post as enlarging the overall photo and identifying the factory staple at the bottom of the book.  I don't see any indication of extra staples but I may be missing something.  (shrug)

Greggy did say "bottom staples" plural plus I thought we could see a staple tear at the edge, which is why I assumed there are 2 staples on the bottom half