• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paramount's STAR TREK 4 film produced by J.J. Abrams (TBD)
1 1

25 posts in this topic

EXCLUSIVE: Kalinda Vazquez has been set by Paramount Pictures to write a Star Trek movie. JJ Abrams’ Bad Robot is producing.

Vazquez has written on Star Trek: Discovery, and insiders said this is a blind deal for an original movie that she hatched, one that expands her role in the Trek Universe. Vazquez was a co-executive producer on Fear the Walking Dead. She also got her name from the original Star Trek series, after a character from the second-season episode “By Any Other Name.” In the 1968 episode, the character’s name was Kelinda.

Vazquez just made a splash in teaming with Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin on an HBO series adaptation of the Roger Zelazny sci-fi novel Roadmarks. Vazquez’s TV credits include Marvel’s Runaways, Once Upon a Time, Nikita, Human Target and Prison Break, and she recently adapted Barrier, based on a Brian K. Vaughan graphic novel, for Legendary Television.

The most recent big-screen voyage of the Starship Enterprise came in 2016’s Star Trek Beyond. There have been several attempts at mounting another movie, including one by The Revenant‘s Mark L. Smith that Quentin Tarantino and Abrams hatched, and another by Fargo‘s Noah Hawley. Both of those cooled: Tarantino stepped out of the first project, and Hawley told Deadline last year that Paramount wanted to go another way with the franchise and pushed pause on his film.

Hard to tell if this will involve the current crew or not.

Edited by Bosco685

Just now, Angel of Death said:

Wait, so Abrams is rebooting the franchise he already started...?

I thought that at first. But I don't think the details are completely clear yet.

Paramount is getting the Enterprise gang back together. No, not the 1960s series-turned-film series cast, but rather the cast of the J.J. Abrams-relaunch that debuted in 2009 and went on to star in two subsequent movies.

Paramount executive Brian Robbins and producer J.J. Abrams made the announcement at Paramount’s investors event Tuesday, although details were not revealed. Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana and John Cho are in talks to reprise their roles which they have played in three films, beginning with 2009’s Star Trek.

On Feb. 15, Paramount (nee ViacomCBS) announced that it would boldly go where it hasn’t managed to go before — a fourth iteration in a stalled 21st century feature strategy for the Star Trek franchise. During the Paramount investor day, producer J.J. Abrams — who rebooted the sci-fi franchise for the big screen in 2009 — revealed that the USS Enterprise was being readied for a new flight. “We are thrilled to say that we are hard at work on a new Star Trek film that will be shooting by the end of the year that will be featuring our original cast,” Abrams said.

The proclamation came as a surprise, not just to observers who have been watching the movie studio haltingly try to revive Trek on the big screen for years but to the actors and their representatives as well.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that most, if not all, teams for the franchise’s primary players — who include Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldaña and John Cho — were not aware that an announcement for another film was coming, much less that their clients would be touted as a part of the deal, and certainly not that their clients would be shooting a movie by year’s end. Insiders say that Pine, who plays Captain Kirk, is the first to enter into early negotiations as he is the lynchpin to the project.

:shiftyeyes:

On 2/24/2022 at 12:01 AM, Buzzetta said:

Anton Yelchin’s ‘team’ was probably more surprised than anyone else. 

Too soon ?

Too soon, Buzz. Hit the brakes on the Yelchin jokes, please.

On 2/23/2022 at 4:16 PM, Bosco685 said:

:shiftyeyes:

Who does that? The balls on this guy. That would be like me scrolling through social media to find my former boss tweeting that I’m coming back to work for him and to quit whatever job I currently have by the end of the year. Ok maybe its nothing like that. FU.

On 3/10/2022 at 1:04 PM, ▫️ said:

Who does that? The balls on this guy. That would be like me scrolling through social media to find my former boss tweeting that I’m coming back to work for him and to quit whatever job I currently have by the end of the year. Ok maybe its nothing like that. FU.

It is pretty crazy.

• VARIETY: Where do things stand with the next “Star Trek” sequel, and why did you decide to bring back Chris Pine?
  • BRIAN ROBBINS: We’re deep into it with J.J. Abrams, and it feels like we’re getting close to the starting line and excited about where we’re going creatively. I’m a research nerd, and what the data tells me is that the audience wants that cast in this movie.

I guess they got that sorted out.