• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Color Transfer on Cover

3 posts in this topic

I purchased a really structurally solid copy of Fast Willie Jackson lately via eBay. Unfortunately, what appeared to be very faint color shadows or artifacts in the pictures are much darker in hand.
No worries, such is the risk of purchasing based on pictures. However, on closer inspection, it appears that this is color transfer from when the book was stacked. I'm basing this on where the red/pink transfer lines up front to back, as it would be if the book were stacked with copies of the same issue.

This leads me to my question, how is this treated in grading? Is it viewed as a stain, or as a defect incidental to the process of printing and selling and treated less harshly? 
Probably a newb question, but I've never come across color transfer to such a degree before. It's a shame too since the book is in such great shape otherwise.
(The scans really don't capture the color transfer on the white cover fairly at all.)

295226617_WillJackson1Front.thumb.jpg.b593234c03cbca3820ea86e954128703.jpg741385080_FastWillie1Back.thumb.jpg.7a8fb216b5f2039ae0eba92f7d80f996.jpg

9 hours ago, USCMitch said:

I purchased a really structurally solid copy of Fast Willie Jackson lately via eBay. Unfortunately, what appeared to be very faint color shadows or artifacts in the pictures are much darker in hand.
No worries, such is the risk of purchasing based on pictures. However, on closer inspection, it appears that this is color transfer from when the book was stacked. I'm basing this on where the red/pink transfer lines up front to back, as it would be if the book were stacked with copies of the same issue.

This leads me to my question, how is this treated in grading? Is it viewed as a stain, or as a defect incidental to the process of printing and selling and treated less harshly? 
Probably a newb question, but I've never come across color transfer to such a degree before. It's a shame too since the book is in such great shape otherwise.
(The scans really don't capture the color transfer on the white cover fairly at all.)

This has nothing to do with printing, so it not a MFG defect. It'll knock the grade down. It's not a "stain" - it's ink transfer.

Edited by Angel of Death