• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading and COAs
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I believe currently CGC will not encapsulate anything with the comic.  I don't know if that was always true, like way back.  Maybe someone else does.  The folks "across the street" don't include anything in the slab, either.  Do you have a link or a photo?

Is this a graded name brand slab, or is it in a generic slab-like holder (I forget the brand name)?  Anyone can put anything they want into a generic holder - they're not sealed, just snap together.

Another clue is the value.  If it's low/reasonable, the chances are good it's legit. 

I had a buyer ask me a question about something they thought was suspicious about the holder on a graded comic, like it was counterfeit.  It was a $65 slab.  Yeah, like someone wants to put $80 worth of effort into counterfeiting a $65 product.  Right after they're done counterfeiting piles of $1 bills.

7 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

I believe currently CGC will not encapsulate anything with the comic.  I don't know if that was always true, like way back.  Maybe someone else does.  The folks "across the street" don't include anything in the slab, either.  Do you have a link or a photo?

Is this a graded name brand slab, or is it in a generic slab-like holder (I forget the brand name)?  Anyone can put anything they want into a generic holder - they're not sealed, just snap together.

Another clue is the value.  If it's low/reasonable, the chances are good it's legit. 

I had a buyer ask me a question about something they thought was suspicious about the holder on a graded comic, like it was counterfeit.  It was a $65 slab.  Yeah, like someone wants to put $80 worth of effort into counterfeiting a $65 product.  Right after they're done counterfeiting piles of $1 bills.

I don't think their policy has changed, but I'm pretty sure they still do no encapsulate COA's with the slab.  Is it possible the book is in a CGC sized mylar bag and that the COA is merely within the bag?  That's how I keep my COA's.

2 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I don't think their policy has changed, but I'm pretty sure they still do no encapsulate COA's with the slab.  Is it possible the book is in a CGC sized mylar bag and that the COA is merely within the bag?  That's how I keep my COA's.

That sounds like a logical possibility.  Without a photo or link, we're flying blind.

50 minutes ago, Glenn Herron said:

I have a comic I am interested but it has a COA inside the slab on the back side.  Is this real?

If it's for sale on eBay, you could ask the seller if the COA is within the slab, or just accompanying the slab.