• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Return Shipping Cost
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Has anybody had CGC charge them a second shipping charge on a book already graded and received back? I got charged my initial return shipping amount ($15) when the invoice was charged to my card. About a month after I got the book back, a second shipping charge ($14) was charged to my card for the same invoice and submission number. When I questioned it, I received no reply until my second e-mail. I was then told that my question was being forwarded to accounting. The response I then received was vague at best, and did not answer the question of why I was being charged again for shipping. They also included an updated invoice that showed the increased shipping charge (almost double my originally chosen return shipping service cost), but, the invoice also had no explanations. I replied back asking for more information, but have heard nothing since (over two weeks now).

That scenario was for the first book I ever sent in. My second book was also returned to me already, but says "in process/partial ship," and the certification number is still not coming up in the census. I got that one back about a month ago. I'm kind of concerned here as they still have 6 more of my books that I sent in before I started experiencing issues, and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this. Is it normal for them to increase shipping charges weeks or months after you get a book back, and why do we even pick a shipping charge at the time of submission if that is not the amount we end up paying?

I think the most disturbing thing here is there lack of any response to what I believe are legitimate questions. I would appreciate any info if others have experienced similar situations. Should I be worried about my other books? Should I be even more worried that random charges are going to be billed to the credit cards I used to pay for the initial submissions?

Thanks in advance for any info!

How many books were sent in your first submission?  Sounds like you submitted at least two books with different submission levels and thus required your order to be split.  Thus being charged for shipping twice.  I am rather shocked though as I feel like the minimum shipping rate for me has almost always been like $25+.

@ExNihilo - I only sent in one book. It was my first submission, and I wanted to check out the whole process before sending in my more valuable books. In fact, it wasn't even a book to be graded, I sent in an already graded book in a damaged holder for replacement.

@Angel of Death - Thank you for that, looks like I'm not the only one this has happened to. Still concerning is that they aren't providing real explanations to anyone.

@Six Pack - "after 20 years" would only be relevant if I was a customer for that long and had experienced this before. My continued patronage is up in the air right now. I certainly will not be sending in any more books until my questions are answered by them and my remaining already submitted books are no longer in a hostage situation. The real question should be, why are the long-term customers aware of, victims of, or complaining about, similar issues and still here? CGC may be an important part of modern day comic re-selling, but that doesn't excuse them from questionable business practices or give them the right to not provide customers with concise answers to valid questions.

Honestly, I keep getting e-mails that say CGC is hiring. If this is the case, they might want to consider hiring some people with business and customer service experience to guide their company. Being a comic book fan shouldn't be the only qualification that an employee of CGC has, especially at the higher levels. With so many people having similar issues as I am (validated by the multiple threads on the topic), it's only a matter of time until the company gets into a costly legal situation. I have worked for several large retail companies, and I know that there is no way an e-mail like the one I sent to CGC would be allowed to go unanswered. The fact that CGC seems to be okay with ignoring such things, suggests that there may be, in fact, shady things occurring. As I said, it's only a matter of time before they have a serious problem on their hands.

On 3/5/2021 at 12:54 AM, Elder of the Universe said:

Has anybody had CGC charge them a second shipping charge on a book already graded and received back? I got charged my initial return shipping amount ($15) when the invoice was charged to my card. About a month after I got the book back, a second shipping charge ($14) was charged to my card for the same invoice and submission number. When I questioned it, I received no reply until my second e-mail. I was then told that my question was being forwarded to accounting. The response I then received was vague at best, and did not answer the question of why I was being charged again for shipping. They also included an updated invoice that showed the increased shipping charge (almost double my originally chosen return shipping service cost), but, the invoice also had no explanations. I replied back asking for more information, but have heard nothing since (over two weeks now).

That scenario was for the first book I ever sent in. My second book was also returned to me already, but says "in process/partial ship," and the certification number is still not coming up in the census. I got that one back about a month ago. I'm kind of concerned here as they still have 6 more of my books that I sent in before I started experiencing issues, and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this. Is it normal for them to increase shipping charges weeks or months after you get a book back, and why do we even pick a shipping charge at the time of submission if that is not the amount we end up paying?

I think the most disturbing thing here is there lack of any response to what I believe are legitimate questions. I would appreciate any info if others have experienced similar situations. Should I be worried about my other books? Should I be even more worried that random charges are going to be billed to the credit cards I used to pay for the initial submissions?

Thanks in advance for any info!

On 3/5/2021 at 1:14 AM, ExNihilo said:

How many books were sent in your first submission?  Sounds like you submitted at least two books with different submission levels and thus required your order to be split.  Thus being charged for shipping twice.  I am rather shocked though as I feel like the minimum shipping rate for me has almost always been like $25+.

For the past  year and a half I have had this happen for EVERY order about 15 or 14 first time then the remainder a month or two later. Only one book at a time I figured UPS and Fedex upped shipping and the cgc forms haven't reflected it yet.....

1 hour ago, cgcsketcherz said:

For the past  year and a half I have had this happen for EVERY order about 15 or 14 first time then the remainder a month or two later. Only one book at a time I figured UPS and Fedex upped shipping and the cgc forms haven't reflected it yet.....

I just looked at an old form and I see the cheapest Registered Mail rate for 1 book valued $1-$500 is $32.  So at least you know you're being charged the correct amount total and not charged for shipping twice.  Not sure why they're splitting the cost out like that though, but it does seem to be correct.  (Note: that only applies for USPS Registered mail since I was never eligible for FedEx/UPS deliveries.)

On 3/7/2021 at 9:02 PM, ExNihilo said:

I just looked at an old form and I see the cheapest Registered Mail rate for 1 book valued $1-$500 is $32.  So at least you know you're being charged the correct amount total and not charged for shipping twice.  Not sure why they're splitting the cost out like that though, but it does seem to be correct.  (Note: that only applies for USPS Registered mail since I was never eligible for FedEx/UPS deliveries.)

When I did do USPS I was charged $32. When I chose the other services, it is a close combined total there. Would have thought they have it listed to begin with the shipping? Who knows.