• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to grade a Color Loss due to ripped off tape?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I purchased a book on ebay a week ago and it showed up with defects that the seller states were not there prior to shipping. The big one being what looks like someone stuck tape to the back and then quickly ripped it off. You can see from the pictures attached the back top left side is a total loss of color and gloss for a 1/4" strip. I had already gotten a decent deal, and the seller has offered to do a partial refund of 1/3rd the selling price. But I bought the book expecting a 6.5 to 7.0 grade, and not sure how badly that color loss is going to drop it. Every time I have looked at books I have avoided books with this kind of damage so my experience with its impacts on the grade are none. I have gone through the "Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics" and can find no examples. And my internet searches are not turning up examples either. Hoping the CGC community here can help me in getting a baseline for grade? 

Interior Pages: Off-White. Interior looks solid, no missing coupons and no tears on interior pages.

Exterior has some color rub on the front cover edges and spine. Light to moderate spine stress. Back page has gloss and color loss on an approximate 1/4" by 4" strip. Small amount of color rub middle right on back. 2" corner cover fold on back that breaks color.

Thank you everyone!

20210304_182745.jpg

20210304_194513.jpg

I'm sorry this happened to you. I'm afraid a 6.5 or 7.0 is no longer an option. My thinking is that the significant color loss and corner crease on the back cover (as well as the other visible wear on the front cover of the book) would put the grade somewhere in the VG range...

Even without the tape pull, I would not grade that book higher than VG+ to VG/FN.  Way too much fading (the colors are muted), abrasive ink loss, and color-breaking edge wear on the front cover, plus a grade-killing 2" hard crease across the bottom-left corner of the back cover.  I agree with Lions Den regarding the VG range (although I'd further qualify that by adding "the low end" of that range, say GD/VG to VG-).

On a side note, the "tape pull" actually looks too thin, too uniform, and too long to have been caused by tape.  My best guess is that it was caused by one of those poly bags that has the built-in adhesive strip.  Note to all collectors: stay far, far away from those self-sealing poly bags.  You may get years of trouble-free service from 'em, but eventually something very, very bad will happen.  :preach:

1 hour ago, zzutak said:

Even without the tape pull, I would not grade that book higher than VG+ to VG/FN.  Way too much fading (the colors are muted), abrasive ink loss, and color-breaking edge wear on the front cover, plus a grade-killing 2" hard crease across the bottom-left corner of the back cover.  I agree with Lions Den regarding the VG range (although I'd further qualify that by adding "the low end" of that range, say GD/VG to VG-).

On a side note, the "tape pull" actually looks too thin, too uniform, and too long to have been caused by tape.  My best guess is that it was caused by one of those poly bags that has the built-in adhesive strip.  Note to all collectors: stay far, far away from those self-sealing poly bags.  You may get years of trouble-free service from 'em, but eventually something very, very bad will happen.  :preach:

This.