• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

True Crime #2 is staying put after all

40 posts in this topic

I made the same mistake last year on a book that ended up having a repro cover, but it was very hard to tell from the pics.  But once I got in hand it was obvious it was a brand new cover.  A lot of the imperfections I was seeing were actually just scans on the repro cover.  At first the seller, someone quite well known and reputable, tried to assert that I was mistaken, due to it being a somewhat strange cover to begin with.  But once I hit them with a bunch of detailed pics, they conceded and refunded and resold it as a repro cover.  So even major dealers get fooled once in a while.  Hopefully the seller here does the right thing.

IMG_0992.thumb.jpg.510e45622f27609a3017cThe white at the very top, and left corner are very tell-tale signs that it's a repro cover.  If it were me, I'd return it, unless you want a coverless reader copy. In that case, 50 bucks tops.  You say his F/B indicates sales of a large number of books.  In that case, I think he knew exactly what he was doing.  File a not as described claim with eBay if he gives you any pushback for full refund including shipping both ways.

7 hours ago, fifties said:

IMG_0992.thumb.jpg.510e45622f27609a3017cThe white at the very top, and left corner are very tell-tale signs that it's a repro cover.  If it were me, I'd return it, unless you want a coverless reader copy. In that case, 50 bucks tops.  You say his F/B indicates sales of a large number of books.  In that case, I think he knew exactly what he was doing.  File a not as described claim with eBay if he gives you any pushback for full refund including shipping both ways.

Yes, I have filed the claim.  Ebay pretty much makes filing a claim automatic.  When you choose the option to "contact seller", it prompts you with questions about why you're contating them.  If the answer is something along the lines of "significantly not as described", it automatically opens up a return.  That's what I did within 15 minutes of opening the package.

More in a moment...

2 hours ago, SOTIcollector said:

And the problem is resolved to my satisfaction.  The seller's ID is zita345.

The seller didn't respond to my inquiry immediately, probably because it was the middle of the night Aussie time when I posted it.  This morning I found a full refund in my PayPal account, so he resolved the issue as quickly as he could be expected to.  

I received a message that explained that older US books are not his forte and he apologized for the issue.  He invited me to keep the book, given that a coverless one isn't worth much.

If he had been aware of the issue, I'm convinced we'd see him offering other questionable books.  Maybe we'd see him offering other books worth a few hundred bucks, for which restoration issues are not so obvious.  Nope.  There is nothing about this that makes me think he was aware this was a fake.

I'll offer him something for the book anyway.  It's not totally worthless, and I'm happy to have a coverless reader that saves wear and tear on my originals.

Ya 40 bucks is worth it just for that great panel half tank of gas over here in C.A. I give seller 24 hours to respond before i open a case it most all ways works out. I did buy a Batman 5 in poor for $200 when i got the book it was missing centerfold and back cover and seller said what did you think you would get i said it was poor and ebay sided with him (shrug)

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

My copy also has the same spine roll. I have had this one since the mid 1970's when I was very actively collection SOTI books. Here is also a group shot of the whole run. Probably the best run of crime books ever produced.

comtruecrime.jpg

comtruecrimeset.jpg

I also hade 7 to 8 copy's early 80's only $30 books back than. I had say 15 copy's of DD 1 and avengers 4 in pristine mint as you called it back in the 80's paid 50 bucks for them each and they where unopened the pages would still be stuck together. I could have bought 7 copy's of Fantasy 15 same condition pages would just peel they never made it to the news stand but he wanted $750 each for them out of my ball park for me back then. I also could have got a stack of the Golden record reprint's FF/spidey mint unopened for $10 bucks each and he had boxes since he was a Record dealer in San Rafael called Record King. His Name was Joe Colabella and his friend  Sal he had a store in SF and i still hear abought him sometimes.

11 minutes ago, woowoo said:

I also hade 7 to 8 copy's early 80's only $30 books back than. I had say 15 copy's of DD 1 and avengers 4 in pristine mint as you called it back in the 80's paid 50 bucks for them each and they where unopened the pages would still be stuck together. I could have bought 7 copy's of Fantasy 15 same condition pages would just peel they never made it to the news stand but he wanted $750 each for them out of my ball park for me back then. I also could have got a stack of the Golden record reprint's FF/spidey mint unopened for $10 bucks each and he had boxes since he was a Record dealer in San Rafael called Record King. His Name was Joe Colabella and his friend  Sal he had a store in SF and i still hear abought him sometimes.

Sal Deceria? I probably spelled his name wrong. I’ve known him for many years. I don’t think he has a shop anymore but still does all the shows down in LA. Got this nice pile of low grade ECs from him at a local show about years ago. 

0D8BE232-2DF7-435E-80FF-D5ABD626F129.jpeg

55AED66C-4598-4C79-826B-D029CD573C75.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Sal Deceria? I probably spelled his name wrong. I’ve known him for many years. I don’t think he has a shop anymore but still does all the shows down in LA. Got this nice pile of low grade ECs from him at a local show about years ago. 

0D8BE232-2DF7-435E-80FF-D5ABD626F129.jpeg

55AED66C-4598-4C79-826B-D029CD573C75.jpeg

Yup that was Joes buddy. Joe did have a lot of high grade Marvel 1's back in 81 and had a high grade copy of Action 4 NM/mint that i loved if i only new and had the money back than.

Glad to hear that it worked out satisfactorily to you, and good to see that the high road was taken on both sides.  Yes, a payment to him because you are getting some value is a good call.

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

My copy also has the same spine roll. I have had this one since the mid 1970's when I was very actively collection SOTI books. Here is also a group shot of the whole run. Probably the best run of crime books ever produced.

comtruecrime.jpg

comtruecrimeset.jpg

Love that family shot!

Yup, that white spine is pretty common on this book.

Pictured left to right:

1) Slabbed copy

2) paperback reprint off of Amazon, made from downloaded scans (published by somebody who can't even spell Wertham's first name correctly!)

3) Raw copy

4) My new color photocopy one

IMG_1012.thumb.jpg.a7bc8b48a6fc91c19e38d71149612a2e.jpg

Rob (zita345) is a good guy. I'm not surprised he did the right thing by you. I've bought a few things from him and will do again. His grading is generally high by about 1.0-1.5 and his knowledge of resto is slight, but he is a straight up seller when those things become an issue. I'm glad this worked out..