• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Movie or tv show you should watch at least once
3 3

951 posts in this topic

Probably might not be as low key due to a lot of the people on here being from the decade, but this one is a refreshing noir from the Seventies that while playing on some of the tropes of the genre is genuinely intriguing and keeps you glued to the seat. (Some of you fans from Files from the Police Squad! might also catch a familiar line.)

38271_3_large.jpg

Edited by Skylath
Capitalizing might doesn't make right!

51 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

I watch these two movies every time I find them when I am flipping channels.

YF.jpg.3455fcdbc960e46d66a0194fef0e275e.jpg     SR.jpg.99f6437ed6650de0efcb3ea8fbb12923.jpg

Funny you show young frankenstein because a few weeks ago i purchase this lol guess you could say im a fan lol but shawshank is something apart its an under apreciated film at the time and now its a big phenomen ,i always liked that movie espescilly the roof scènes,quite emotional

20210305_202346.jpg

2 minutes ago, Bird said:

oh, and in a connection here shawshannk has the 1 million bc poster on the cell wall, and we talked about Raquel earlier in the thread!

If my memory serves me right it was rita hayworth and not raquel then again you may be right ,but the book was named rita hayworth and a shawshank redemption,maybe she ws the but not as the first poster.

From the man who made movies like Seven Samurai and Yojimbo who almost singlehandedly influenced western cinema, definitely can recommend Kagemusha, which kind of comes after that awkward period of his failure with Tora Tora Tora! and so on. A former thief takes the role of a daimyo due to bearing a similar likeness to the one that has passed, and details bonding with his predecessor's grandson and being amongst his clan. Costume design and color scheme was pretty superb as well:

2123_1_large.jpg

9 minutes ago, Namtak said:

If my memory serves me right it was rita hayworth and not raquel then again you may be right ,but the book was named rita hayworth and a shawshank redemption,maybe she ws the but not as the first poster.

yes, I think he took down Rita and put up Raquel, who has the rocks thrown through her?

BTW, all males should go to you tube and watch Rita Hayworth sing Put the blame on Mame from Gilda. :luhv:

6 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Funny movie no one knows about: Young Doctors In Love

Favorite movie no one knows about: Local Hero. Absolutely love this film.

Good TV? Stream The West Wing. Moving and surprisingly funny.

local hero - I'll watch. love Burt. I have seen Young Doctors in Love. [And Community (twice all the way through.)]

west wing is stunningly good, so is the movie it came from, the American president. 

8 minutes ago, Skylath said:

From the man who made movies like Seven Samurai and Yojimbo who almost singlehandedly influenced western cinema, definitely can recommend Kagemusha, which kind of comes after that awkward period of his failure with Tora Tora Tora! and so on. A former thief takes the role of a daimyo due to bearing a similar likeness to the one that has passed, and details bonding with his predecessor's grandson and being amongst his clan. Costume design and color scheme was pretty superb as well:

2123_1_large.jpg

Kagemusha is one of those movie that i didnt like ,mostly for the main actor that cant deliver what kurosawa really wanted and that is said by co producer George lucas,the main actor should had been the actor from zatoichi.thats why for me the movie is a little plain but hey everyone had his opinion.me my kurosawa best movie is sanjuro but most like yojimbo best but everyone agree on 7 samurai(schishinin no samurai)

I watched criterion network so that I could see the six lone wolf and cub movies I highly recommend them. There’s generally an unfortunate rape scene in each movie but otherwise they’re very good

16 minutes ago, Skylath said:

2123_1_large.jpg

Production wise the movie is superb.story and all .but shintaro katsu was suposed to lead the role,the problem as lucas said he wanted to lead everything,even brought his own caméra crew.that didnt go well with kurosawa hhhoooo boy i would have loved to see that!

8 minutes ago, Namtak said:

Kagemusha is one of those movie that i didnt like ,mostly for the main actor that cant deliver what kurosawa really wanted and that is said by co producer George lucas,the main actor should had been the actor from zatoichi.thats why for me the movie is a little plain but hey everyone had his opinion.me my kurosawa best movie is sanjuro but most like yojimbo best but everyone agree on 7 samurai(schishinin no samurai)

Yeah, with Sanjuro the beginning scene where he deters the mob was my favorite, easily my favorite of Mifune's in the fifteen or so years he and Kurosawa collaborated before their falling out.

Edited by Skylath

4 minutes ago, Bird said:

I watched criterion network so that I could see the six lone wolf and cub movies I highly recommend them. There’s generally an unfortunate rape scene in each movie but otherwise they’re very good

The zatoichi movies are quite butifully done too if you like that kind of stuff wich i do

The first version of hara-kiri was quite something to see ,not a movie i would like too see often but it got some kick in it with a lot of drama,and the last kurosawa samurai movie is worth watching(ran),great movie

53 minutes ago, Bird said:

oh, and in a connection here shawshannk has the 1 million bc poster on the cell wall, and we talked about Raquel earlier in the thread!

Wow you got a good memory ,i googled it and know what its an anachronism he escape in 66 and the movie was released in 67 lol

Edited by Namtak

5 hours ago, bentbryan said:

I thought Overlord was an underrated movie. Straight forward and fun nazi zombie horror flick. 

Horror stuff was very good , almost like a “wolfenstein” movie , WW2 militaria was not accurate though , but as is the norm with most Hollywood war flicks ....