• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3/5/2021 - Nominating nocutename for the Probation List
5 5

286 posts in this topic

At this time, I am unfortunately nominating @nocutename to the Probation List for refusal of payment for an item she placed a "take it" for on Feb, 22nd, 2021.

This sale took place on page 9 in my FEBRUARY 2021 MIXED SALE over in the Mixed section of the sales boards.

I sent invoices to everyone who participated in the thread on Monday, 3/1/21.  Her invoice in particular was sent at 3:16 PM EST.

A little over 3 hours later at 6:31 PM, I received a return message from nocutename initially stating that she would just pay for the book's sale price only... and I could donate it to another boardie.   All this due to a supposed "robbery" from her of excess shipping charges... all of which are clearly noted on Page 1, Post 1 of every sale that I put on here on the boards. 

She then explains to me that I only had "Marvel books for sale and very little of anything else" over the course of my 33 page sales thread which included not only three long boxes of new material, but also previous listings that didn't sell in the past.  I would estimate four or five long boxes of material was available from a variety of publishers.  It was truly a "Mixed" sale and there was plenty to chose from.

Next, I get an explanation of how a different seller (not me), had shipped her books in a loose package that resulted in damage requiring her to return them, thus costing her return shipping charges and how the boards now "don't appear to be for her".  None of which have anything at all to do with me or my sale.   She ended with another comment about the stated shipping price and a curt "good bye".

I answered at 9:09 PM with an apology first, then offered direction to Page 1, Post 1 where the stated shipping terms for my sales are ALWAYS located.  I followed with a response as to how I didn't appreciate the accusation of "robbery".  I agreed to her terms that she would pay for the book and I would then donate it as a FREEBIE to another boardie.  This is what she wanted done and I agreed.  I offered past experiences from others who had no problems with the stated shipping terms and also direction to www.usps.com to verify that the stated shipping cost was verifiable and fair.  I ended my return PM with a request for tact in future interactions as I really didn't appreciate her dismissive and accusatory approach, but since this happens about once a year now, I've gotten used to it.  I tried to be as professional as I could based on the reaction I was presented with. 

I had no reason to believe nocutename would not honor her statement to pay for the book, so I posted the book as FREEBIE at 9:42 on Monday night and it was claimed by a customer a little after midnight. 

The next day, Tuesday, 3/2/2021 at 6:33PM, I receive a return PM from nocutename, stating that I have "of course, blamed the bidder" for her not seeing the my clearly-stated selling & shipping policies found on Page 1, Post 1.  I might add that the shipping charge listed there is both OVERSIZED and in BOLD TEXT.  There is also a full explanation as to why I use that service, it's actual cost, and what I consider the benefit of using said service.  We are required by our host and by sales etiquette to provide these sales terms.  Threads can be pulled without them.  That is why mine are upfront, clear, and precise.  She goes on to tell me how I could use a service that isn't part of my stated sales terms... to make her a "happy customer". 

She next stated that she did say she was going to pay for the item, but now, "sorry not happening".  That "she will nominate herself to be banned", and I could visit her "over in the dispute thread".

I followed up a few hours later with my response at 8:41 PM with options that could have been taken by her, a screen shot of my shipping rules from Page 1, Post 1, and other attempts to salvage this transaction with attempts at closure, etc.  Some curt, some not.  I am not a perfect linguist, and my words may have come off more harsh to her, when in fact, they are only direct.  I have retained all correspondence btw us and it can be provided if needed.

I have waited past my sales thread's stated requirement of "three days for payment", with no response from her.  If more time was needed for her to complete a $12 sale, she could have asked.  I hoped she would make good on her commitment and gave her my stated payment window as a courtesy, even though she had already refused payment.  Unfortunately, here we are.  I am now out a book that I gave up as a FREEBIE due to the promise of payment.

I have always liked Jeannine and have never had a bad interaction with her in all my years on the boards.  Not sure what's going on with her, but I honestly feel if people would just take a breath before they write a response to a grievance they may have, things could always work out better. 

Unfortunately, I have found that is usually not the case on these boards.

Regardless, there has been no response to my last message and I am sending her notification of this nomination now.  Plus I have tagged her board name above, so even if she doesn't read her PMs, she will know this thread exists.

xxx ooo

Rupp

I've gotten a similar message in the past, very upset and angry from the get go. I even thought she had a point but she just vented strongly, told me the boards aren't what they used to be and maybe she should stop buying here. That was a year or 3 ago. I was a noob seller and not as faultless as you are here, but she let me have it.

8 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

Out of curiosity, can you post a link to the sales thread? I mean, were you charging $275 for shipping?  

Seems like a disproportionate reaction for $12

I believe it is this one.   

On 2/20/2021 at 10:35 AM, Bio-Rupp said:

- Shipping will be Medium Flat Rate boxed and insured for USA Paypal confirmed addresses and is $13.95  PLUS INSURANCE OVER $200 (the post office now charges $15.05 for this service so if you do the math, I'm charging $1.10 less than actual base cost).   If additional priority mail boxes or a larger box is/are needed for your merchandise, then please note, the shipping price will go up.  I promise you I'm not in this to make money off of shipping.   Please don't whine about the shipping cost after the fact... it's posted right here.  Please don't ask me to ship any other way.  If you buy only one $3 book...it's still going to cost you $13.95 to ship it.  Insurance is required on all purchases but to offset postage cost, I am also picking up the insurance on these up to $200, after that you can help out with the rest.   I like using the Flat Rate boxes and they offer a superior amount of protection, so it's worth the cost.  All this has been explained in detail, so please take a breath before you decide to embarrass yourself and complain about the shipping cost.  Also note that due to circumstances beyond a normal American's control, post office delivery times have been off since the "Age Of LeJoy" began this past year and the current icy climate ;) 

3 minutes ago, Red84 said:
On 2/20/2021 at 11:35 AM, Bio-Rupp said:

- Shipping will be Medium Flat Rate boxed and insured for USA Paypal confirmed addresses and is $13.95  PLUS INSURANCE OVER $200 (the post office now charges $15.05 for this service so if you do the math, I'm charging $1.10 less than actual base cost).   If additional priority mail boxes or a larger box is/are needed for your merchandise, then please note, the shipping price will go up.  I promise you I'm not in this to make money off of shipping.   Please don't whine about the shipping cost after the fact... it's posted right here.  Please don't ask me to ship any other way.  If you buy only one $3 book...it's still going to cost you $13.95 to ship it.  Insurance is required on all purchases but to offset postage cost, I am also picking up the insurance on these up to $200, after that you can help out with the rest.   I like using the Flat Rate boxes and they offer a superior amount of protection, so it's worth the cost.  All this has been explained in detail, so please take a breath before you decide to embarrass yourself and complain about the shipping cost.  Also note that due to circumstances beyond a normal American's control, post office delivery times have been off since the "Age Of LeJoy" began this past year and the current icy climate ;) 

Expand  

Can you be a little more specific?

(shrug) first thing I do is look at the T&C before I post :takeit: If I don't like it, I don't buy it. Seems pretty straight-forward to me...

wtf is this BS? You're charging the post office medium box priority rate at lower and there's complaints?  Seriously, what?  You guys want shipping for 2 bucks or what?  I've encountered this before from buyers online who won't pay standard shipping costs or expect it very very low or free shipping.  Shipping isn't free.  You pay for it.  By the way, there's also a medium box standard rate that goes by weight instead of the flat rate of 15 bucks.  With one book, it could be less.

I'm going to start off by saying the buyer is clearly in the wrong here.  The seller rules were clearly stated (and bolded).  The book was claimed and then reneged.

But I also can't help but feel that this could have been cleared up in a variety of ways.  I mean, it's $25 total shipped...I can't believe the buyer wouldn't just eat their pride and the costs and chalk this up to a mistake.  Lesson learned, move on.  But the seller could have also shipped in a protected mailer for about $8.  Yes, I get it, the sellers rules were VERY explicit and they shouldn't have to bend over backwards to accommodate a buyer who can't or refuses to read.  Especially since the verbiage seems to indicate that it isn't the first time that request has been made and that there likely must have been some other bad experience that forced the seller to ship everything in priority boxes and nothing else.  I'm guessing a prior buyer received a book in a mailer that was damaged in shipment and there was a separate set of headaches smoothing that out so the seller just said "no more mailers" and went boxes only.  But then just tell nocutename that you're not liable for any damage that occurs in transit.

Second point, and with this one I understand that we live by a set of rules or we don't, there's no picking and choosing.  That said, it appears there were 3 copies of the book, of which at least one copy is still available.  This leads me to believe that the cancellation of the purchase doesn't necessarily financially harm the seller in the same way as if they were selling one copy of a Silver Surfer 3.  In the existing scenario, no buyers were deterred or turned away from purchasing the remaining stock.  In the example scenario of the Silver Surfer 3, the seller would most definitely take a hit because other potential buyers would have moved on and any other attempt on the sellers part to sell the book would likely be for a lower price than it was a week ago.  I guess that's a long winded way of saying that in the current situation, the seller is still "whole".

Again, we can't pick and choose and bend rules here and there, otherwise it all falls apart.  I get it, the buyer is 100% in the wrong here.  I'm just completely baffled that this is all playing out over $12.  The amount of time spent by the parties going back and forth on this is worth more than the book at this point.

Edited by ExNihilo