• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Records
4 4

93 posts in this topic

On 3/6/2021 at 10:57 AM, Garystar said:

I believe I have all the Marvel superhero ones;

BBB49512-7E3A-4CA9-A4BC-75DCF0D379FC.thumb.jpeg.8853256305639e64a5b44b8c70a838cb.jpeg

Is that a no price variant then Gary?

PR24.thumb.jpg.a1d6ee0013004f6d7d9bea2cdf90dba8.jpg

23 minutes ago, Garystar said:

I don’t recall having any of the other Marvel Power records by Peter Pan,I know there is a Spider-Man dragon man one, are there any I need to search for?;

My old Spidey records (of Spidey records) include this entry:

Peter Pan Read & Hear Book And Recording “Invasion Of The Dragon Man” (1982)

....but I can't find the old scan. 

1 hour ago, Garystar said:

Failed to upload Manthing image in my previous post. Here’s two other versions of the Hulk book/record, I don’t recall having any of the other Marvel Power records by Peter Pan,I know there is a Spider-Man dragon man one, are there any I need to search for?;

DBC8D520-B5C8-40EA-9444-BE71A25B9241.thumb.jpeg.6f6fe8c59e1ed41769ab2f43c534823e.jpeg

62702DAB-598C-4864-AC05-15BC90EEEDF7.thumb.jpeg.026a687531bbdd4d830c4682e1222282.jpeg

PR-10 (Hulk) and PR-24 (Spider-Man/Dragon Men) are the only Marvel issues to be re-issued in 1981 in comic size with new front cover art and the Peter Pan logo and again in 1982 in the storybook format (with no PR numbering)

11 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Is that a no price variant then Gary?

PR24.thumb.jpg.a1d6ee0013004f6d7d9bea2cdf90dba8.jpg

The blank-circle cover is likely a re-issue sometime around 1978 or thereafter as the new 1978 PR-36 issue and onward don't have a printed price on the cover.

If the cover with the $1.49 printed price has line drawings of Marvel characters and Planet of the Apes characters on the inside covers, that is likely the first issue.  The copyright on the front cover says 1974, but the first issues of the 1974 releases have blank inside covers.  Line drawings of characters on the inside covers is typical of the 1975 releases and I have yet to see a copy of PR-24 that has a blank insider cover (if someone has one please post it up)

Edited by Number 6

7 hours ago, Number 6 said:

The blank-circle cover is likely a re-issue sometime around 1978 or thereafter as the new 1978 PR-36 issue and onward don't have a printed price on the cover.

If the cover has with the $1.49 printed price has line drawings of Marvel characters and Planet of the Apes characters on the inside covers, that is likely the first issue.  The copyright on the front cover says 1974, but the first issues of the 1974 releases have blank inside covers.  Line drawings of characters on the inside covers is typical of the 1975 releases and I have yet to see a copy of PR-24 that has a blank insider cover (if someone has one please post it up)

Cheers Number 6 - there's always a variant isn't there :bigsmile:

My old copies are long gone, alas. Sure someone will have a picture to post soon....

7 hours ago, Number 6 said:

If the cover has with the $1.49 printed price has line drawings of Marvel characters and Planet of the Apes characters on the inside covers, that is likely the first issue.  The copyright on the front cover says 1974, but the first issues of the 1974 releases have blank inside covers.  Line drawings of characters on the inside covers is typical of the 1975 releases and I have yet to see a copy of PR-24 that has a blank insider cover (if someone has one please post it up)

Thanks for all the great info. Yes my Spider-Man is blank price, I can’t see a date, it’s not sealed, this is the inside cover;

45128D92-0B06-4281-AA74-A99E96EBDF3E.jpegI’ve also got another Spider-Man Power Record LP somewhere but can’t find it (yellow cover with single image of spidey) - a quick search on eBay shows one for sale and appears to be man-wolf and dragon man stories again. I’ll keep looking. 

Edited by Garystar

1 hour ago, Garystar said:

I’ve also got another Spider-Man Power Record LP somewhere but can’t find it (yellow cover with single image of spidey) - a quick search on eBay shows one for sale and appears to be man-wolf and dragon man stories again. I’ll keep looking. 

I lost many of my old Spidey images way back and it looks like most of the record ones were in them :p

I did find a few though, and here is my list from an old Spidey completist doc:

recs.PNG.bbba1e76bd583d74ef7a51312210db80.PNG

And we have these two of course, if we're talking records in general:

lp3.thumb.jpg.1afb446b82b95a067a4a2afb8a6b936f.jpg   lp4.thumb.jpg.b9bd388b9aa3d8a72c81029f20719102.jpg

lp10.thumb.jpg.fb86e24bbc27d1b41ef169b385559fcd.jpglp11.thumb.jpg.278ceaead1b43aace2fb84083df27dfc.jpg

I did find this one old PR pic:

334200690_3singles(2).thumb.jpg.c63c1d47c0f4594ea2e64b1cf3d2c008.jpg

1 hour ago, IngelsFan said:

It was originally. They retooled it for the book and record so that it ends with the ghost’s appearance at the end of Man-Thing 5.

IIRC the Man-Wolf story in PR-10 was originally a 2-part story in Amazing Spider-Man #124, 125 but the Power Record is just a reprint of #124 with alterations to make it a stand-alone. 

In fact, my understanding is that all the Marvel Power Record reprint issues have alterations in art and dialog to fit the format, so none are straight reprints. 

So this is Spider-Man Peter Pan which I now know thanks to number 6 to be a re-issue. Originally Couldn’t sell at $2 so reduced to $1.50. I know there is another version of this (similar format to the two hulks I posted previously) which I don’t think I’ve got and the Spider-Man Power Record LP which annoyingly I can’t find. 
C3F0609C-CD4B-4A81-A05E-CF453D507922.thumb.jpeg.b8ea3986f767b22066cf17ca6e4200de.jpeg

6 hours ago, Garystar said:

So this is Spider-Man Peter Pan which I now know thanks to number 6 to be a re-issue. Originally Couldn’t sell at $2 so reduced to $1.50. I know there is another version of this (similar format to the two hulks I posted previously) which I don’t think I’ve got and the Spider-Man Power Record LP which annoyingly I can’t find. 
C3F0609C-CD4B-4A81-A05E-CF453D507922.thumb.jpeg.b8ea3986f767b22066cf17ca6e4200de.jpeg

While I will probably pick up these versions when I have an opportunity to get nice copies, I hesitate to call these Power Records as they no longer have the logo and the PR numbering has been dropped. Even the record has a new Peter Pan label that has the new 2003 number, not the PR-24 number. 

But it’s basically the same content as the other releases, just reformatted to fit the book dimensions.  So maybe it’s splitting hairs. 

What’s interesting is that the inside cover has pictures of the public domain fairytale book-and-sets Peter Pan was doing prior to the Power Record line...but none of the licensed content like Bugs Bunny or G.I. Joe. 

31 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

While I will probably pick up these versions when I have an opportunity to get nice copies, I hesitate to call these Power Records as they no longer have the logo and the PR numbering has been dropped. Even the record has a new Peter Pan label that has the new 2003 number, not the PR-24 number. 

Well my OCD has kicked in and I’ve now got the other Spider-Man Peter Pan on eBay search list, and if I can’t find my copy of the spidey power record LP I’ll have to buy that again as well. 

I just got this in the mail last week.

From the seller's photos, it looked like it was in nice condition, maybe and outside shot at being nice enough to send to CGC, though his photos showed that there was some issues with the corners on the front.  With in the book in hand, not only are there corner issues but also a spine stress on the front which didn't show up in his pictures, so on that alone CGC grading is out:

781775120_PowerRecord33e.thumb.jpg.31ecc15e203a7a5de02f3e22506d177b.jpg

In the seller's photos the back cover looked really nice, but in hand I noticed immediately that there are deep spine stresses and surface creasing and bending that didn't show up at all in the seller's photos (I don't think the seller was trying to hide anything, there was no grade assigned, the front and back pictures were taken at the same angle, and even in my picture some of the defects really don't show up):

662504865_PowerRecord33f.thumb.jpg.315b34ed6c9111c6cda8ea33e7d960e6.jpg

Overall, not really as nice a copy as I would want for my raw keeper collection....but it is a pedigree copy:

1452584038_PowerRecord33g.thumb.jpg.ec870f038a35482159183be25b5f8af7.jpg 

Since it's a pedigree and since it is an example of the 1981 re-issue of this book..... I guess as of now I'm also collecting variants of these books as well.  :p

Still on the hunt for the original 1978 first issue of this book in nice condition....

15 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Overall, not really as nice a copy as I would want for my raw keeper collection....but it is a pedigree copy:

1452584038_PowerRecord33g.thumb.jpg.ec870f038a35482159183be25b5f8af7.jpg 

Since it's a pedigree and since it is an example of the 1981 re-issue of this book..... I guess as of now I'm also collecting variants of these books as well.  :p

Still on the hunt for the original 1978 first issue of this book in nice condition....

A nice pick-up, even if it's not in quite as high a grade as you want.  I have several items from the Fantucchio pedigree (not power records, though), but since they came from Lone Star I don't have COA's with them.  It might still be worth slabbing. there can't be many (if any) pedigree label Power Records.

Edited by OtherEric

17 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

A nice pick-up, even if it's not in quite as high a grade as you want.  I have several items from the Fantucchio pedigree (not power records, though), but since they came from Lone Star I don't have COA's with them.  It might still be worth slabbing. there can't be many (if any) pedigree label Power Records.

I always associated Fantucchio books as being in really nice condition, but as the certificate acknowledges, this was part of the “remains” of his collection. So this is basically the leftovers...perhaps the less-nice stuff. 

I also noticed the Basement Comics has a lot music LPs from the Fantucchio Collection. So I wonder if Fantucchio treated these more as part of his LP collection than his comic collection and thus less effort was made to preserve them. (There was one Power Record comic that I needed that had a piece of masking tape on the front cover for some inexplicable reason)

This may eventually end up getting graded if I can’t find a nicer copy, though the pedigree status would be the sole reason for doing so as the grade attained wouldn’t even justify the cost of grading  

I was really hoping to get a nice copy of these as it’s one of the Power Records I had as a kid...though I can’t remember which version it was