• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre Miller BA Daredevil

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, wondering if any Hornhead fans out there had any thoughts on pre Frank Miller Daredevils.  Always loved the character, don't have any Bronze Age DDs pre FM, am I missing out on some good stuff? How are those Daredevil/Black Widow issues?

13 minutes ago, d_russ84 said:

Hi everyone, wondering if any Hornhead fans out there had any thoughts on pre Frank Miller Daredevils.  Always loved the character, don't have any Bronze Age DDs pre FM, am I missing out on some good stuff? How are those Daredevil/Black Widow issues?

I only go back to about 127 right now, so I can't comment on the Daredevil / Black Widow issues.  I'm curious to hear what others say, too.

The 30 or so issues immediately pre-Miller are your basic Marvel superhero fare, in my opinion, which is not a bad thing.  Good runs by Wolfman and Shooter in there.  Maybe not stone-cold classics, but worth your time if you like that kind of thing.

On 3/6/2021 at 12:03 PM, d_russ84 said:

I've probably got some nostalgia bias but the dozen Shooter or Mckenzie written issues just prior to the Miller art were good, some great Colan art with Janson and some other gritty inkers.  I want to say Bullseye started being more than a one dimensional gimmick villain in Shooter's issue 146 but I haven't read that one in years, I'm sure that appearance improved on the portrayal in 141.  :sick:

Edited by bababooey
No edit CS is right it was Colan & Kane

Several of the issues with Black Widow had the benefit of superb artwork by Gene Colan and Tom Palmer (#86-95), but I'm not sure how well Gerry Conway's writing would hold up.  I loved the Jim Shooter / Gil Kane issues, especially the ones inked by Klaus Janson (#147, 148 and 151).  Frank Miller's Russian roulette issue was a sequel to #146, and his early issues were like a Gil Kane tribute act.

Someone gave me a coverless DD 103 when I was really young. I thought it was a Spiderman book for a long time since he was on the splash page. Its a book I remember fondly and it used to irk me that Overstreet wouldn't note Spiderman's appearance. Maybe it does now, I wouldn't know since I stopped buying Overstreet about 10 years ago.  :foryou:

Edited by mysterymachine