• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unopened "blind" Wizard #1/2 mailers -- Should I open them?

19 posts in this topic

I'm curious for anyone's thoughts on this. I have two Wizard #1/2 comics still completely sealed in the original cardboard mailers. These are definitely from the mid-1990's, but there are no postmark or other dates on them to begin to determine exactly which issues are inside, so these really are blind.

Is there any value in the mystery of keeping them blind, or should I go ahead and rip them open to see what's inside?

PXL_20210306_182038838.jpg

PXL_20210306_182106180.jpg

Edited by dustinblack

I don't think too many issues are that desirable or rare. I think they are all cool but there is a limited number that draw a premium. I try to imagine the buyer saying they would like a 1/2 issue that they don't know what it is but around the era it came from. It doesn't seem to me that would command a premium, but maybe there is one for an unboxing video? 

On the other hand, maybe you have something cool in there you would enjoy? 

After a quick search, most of the money is behind the late 90's Star Wars 1/2 issues or 1/2's with variants (gold, platinum, etc.) which are unlikely to be in those envelopes. Still very cool though! Nice find!

I had a buddy in the 90's that used my mailing address. We would both get copies of the 1/2 issues, and these were a couple that he never picked up and just told me to keep. Odds are that they are duplicates of something I already have, the most interesting of which might be The Maxx or Lady Death, both of which could _possibly_ be variants. But I know it's a bit of a long shot for them to be anything of great interest, so I'm leaning towards opening them up.

I'd open them up. The pure nostalgia and walk down memory lane will be worth it. Last year, I opened up a larger envelope that I received from American Entertainment back in 94? 95? that had re-sealed itself. It was cool seeing the unused X-Men Alpha cover I forgot about receiving from them. 

Heh, just realized this is a newsstand cover as well. 

018F6A05-BA4D-4D85-A035-1FD9CA3F04D2.thumb.jpeg.0c118f7417e0d004da6645c13e15dbc8.jpeg

Edited by awakeintheashes

7 hours ago, dustinblack said:

I had a buddy in the 90's that used my mailing address. We would both get copies of the 1/2 issues, and these were a couple that he never picked up and just told me to keep. Odds are that they are duplicates of something I already have, the most interesting of which might be The Maxx or Lady Death, both of which could _possibly_ be variants. But I know it's a bit of a long shot for them to be anything of great interest, so I'm leaning towards opening them up.

Open them and keep the envelopes.  Whatever they are, it's likely there are lots of them but how many envelopes survived?  :grin:

On 3/7/2021 at 12:10 PM, dustinblack said:

I'm curious for anyone's thoughts on this. I have two Wizard #1/2 comics still completely sealed in the original cardboard mailers. These are definitely from the mid-1990's, but there are no postmark or other dates on them to begin to determine exactly which issues are inside, so these really are blind.

Is there any value in the mystery of keeping them blind, or should I go ahead and rip them open to see what's inside?

PXL_20210306_182038838.jpg

PXL_20210306_182106180.jpg

Assuming that you have in your collection all of the 1/2 issues that you want, and you have no special connection to the envelope, list it on eBay for an amount greater than any of the 1/2 issues; maybe someone out there thinks the thrill is worth it. Or, just open it. 

10 hours ago, brentdevil said:

I don't mean to sound unkind, but this isn't the death of Superman black bag... it's an envelope with your address on it. I'm not seeing the value in that at all, unless the goal is to hide a stinker 1/2 issue like Darkchylde or something. Open it!

I don't disagree. If there were more sought after 1/2 issues, the mystery might be more fun (and valuable), but I already have a Maxx 1/2 CGC 9.8 sitting on my display shelf, so I doubt I'll do any better than that. It's probably worth opening them, and I bet I'm going to just end up with another Gen13 or Ripclaw anyway. lol

Edited by dustinblack
typo fix

18 hours ago, valiantman said:

Open them and keep the envelopes.  Whatever they are, it's likely there are lots of them but how many envelopes survived?  :grin:

I think this is a fantastic idea.

On 3/9/2021 at 12:56 PM, valiantman said:

I still have mine! I remember getting 2-3 of these from Wizard in the mid 2000s ... I remember getting Fantastic Four 48 Wizard Ace w an acetate  cover. I was subscriber until the random cancellation around 2013

I've sold a few of these which do pretty well. The Rogue Squadron 1/2 is hot right now. I did keep some envelopes with these still tucked inside - though all of mine are brown. Open Open Open!

20201221_152209.jpg

20180913_175914.jpg

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

I could be wrong, but I kinda remember if you look on the mailing label there is like an abbreviation code that will tell you what issue is in the envelope (top left?)

For example, the Wolverine 1/2 issue would have an abbreviation code of WOLV, the Darkness 1/2 issue would show DARK or Sin City 1/2 issue would show SIN.

Check the mailing labels to see if there are these abbreviation codes.

1 hour ago, dustinblack said:

I opened them, and it was anticlimactic as expected. One Ripclaw and one X-O Manowar. <sad trombone>

Did they at least come with a promo card of some kind?  That could be worth the effort. 👍

2 hours ago, dustinblack said:

I opened them, and it was anticlimactic as expected. One Ripclaw and one X-O Manowar. <sad trombone>

Did the X-O Manowar have a gold title box (top center) or purple?

530452449_x-ohalfgold1.jpg.a0338cc4472114f47b455bcd05b34e22.jpg204227498_x-ohalf1.jpg.89078f41c190f18549e4f0d68f8463c7.jpg

(Gold is good news.) :grin: