• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$600 IRS reporting limit for everyone soon
3 3

61 posts in this topic

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/05/gig-workers-coronavirus-relief-bill-losers-473902

"For those in the sharing economy, the issue is provisions that would dramatically reduce the threshold at which companies like eBay, GrubHub, Doordash and others would have to report to the IRS the earnings of people who use their platforms to make money. The users would also have to be given the information.

Currently, that’s only necessary when someone earns more than $20,000 through at least 200 transactions. would drop that to anyone earning more than $600, regardless of the number of transactions."

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

But when does it go into effect?  Usually eBay sends out a letter on things like this. 

ya or at least an update to terms of agreement, it hasn't passed yet to my knowledge, so we may know soon or when it does .... go into effect..

Found it

It would not go into effect until after December 31, 2021

Now, am I reading this right?  Transactions under $600 do not qualify but transactions over $600 do?

Or is it a total threshold of all transactions and once you hit $600 that's it?

1788896872_ScreenShot2021-03-07at3_09_47PM.thumb.png.4628ffd82c2685f65fce1585a560af8e.png

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Found it

It would not go into effect until after December 31, 2021

Now, am I reading this right?  Transactions under $600 do not qualify but transactions over $600 do?

Or is it a total threshold of all transactions and once you hit $600 that's it?

1788896872_ScreenShot2021-03-07at3_09_47PM.thumb.png.4628ffd82c2685f65fce1585a560af8e.png

Here in MA the $600 is aggregate, regardless of number of transactions or the value of any individual transaction. 

5 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Here in MA the $600 is aggregate, regardless of number of transactions or the value of any individual transaction. 

But that may not necessarily mean that Fed Gov will adhere to that threshold. 

We shall see. 

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

But that may not necessarily mean that Fed Gov will adhere to that threshold. 

We shall see. 

No doubt. I'm just sharing my experience. 

12 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

is it just ebay or "3rd party?"

or does paypal on the boards with goodsnservices count as the $600 aggregate as well?

I guess what I'm asking is, is PayPal itself with goodsnservices considered a 3rd party?

Just now, Ryan. said:

No doubt. I'm just sharing my experience. 

Even as a buyer on eBay I am praying you are wrong.

The beauty of eBay and sites like it made it possible to find anything and everything at the touch of a button.  Things previously believed to be rare were no longer 'rare' once people became comfortable listing whatever was in their closet.  I had never seen a vintage Yak Face until I bought someone's on eBay. Lego sets only produced in Europe found their way to Long Island thanks to eBay

Something like this will drive away a lot of potential sellers on eBay reducing the number of items.  What a shame.   Looks like you are going to see a lot more non protected payment only sales which will also lead to a large amount of dishonesty.   

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

is it just ebay or "3rd party?"

or does paypal on the boards with goodsnservices count as the $600 aggregate as well?

I guess what I'm asking is, is PayPal itself with goodsnservices considered a 3rd party?

PayPal G&S too. 

7 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Even as a buyer on eBay I am praying you are wrong.

The beauty of eBay and sites like it made it possible to find anything and everything at the touch of a button.  Things previously believed to be rare were no longer 'rare' once people became comfortable listing whatever was in their closet.  I had never seen a vintage Yak Face until I bought someone's on eBay. Lego sets only produced in Europe found their way to Long Island thanks to eBay

Something like this will drive away a lot of potential sellers on eBay reducing the number of items.  What a shame.   Looks like you are going to see a lot more non protected payment only sales which will also lead to a large amount of dishonesty.   

Let's just say that eBay is not going to get out of this unscathed. 

And now states are enjoying sales tax revenues from all of this. This is going to cause a lot of people to just stop selling, because of the hassle in figuring out their taxes for $2000 in sales that may or may not produce any taxable profit. States are going to lose revenue as a result.

Edited by the blob

8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Well, it's been a nice run. I'm gonna miss you fellers...