• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic art- turning the covid corner

26 posts in this topic

With the covid numbers falling and vaccines getting into arms... what are you going to do?

Will the cons be up and running by the end of summer/fall?

If they are, are you gonna participate?

Me? yes, I will plan to attend comic art con in beautiful and bountiful New Jersey... AND maybe as a covid free celebration go to the next Heroes con (I’ve never been).

Edited by gumbydarnit

For me and cons, it’ll mostly be about artists going. The last few years I’ve gone to a lot of them just to go, and hopefully I’d get to meet up with artists. Moving forward, if there’s no artists I’m interested in at a con, I’ll pass. Dealer booths and cosplay don’t do it for me. 

I gotta get out to eat, and then I will consider more. I am vaccinated (2nd on 1/23, anyone earlier...I didn't think so...:devil:) but wifey and daughters are not. I want to go to a nice restaurant and eat, I want my duck with celery root puree (so good).

I have been to the small NJ cons pug puts on though.

1 hour ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I am vaccinated also.. and have plans to take a ride up to the old school con in New Hampshire in April.. so I guess for me as soon as possible back to normal lol

Did you go to the show last August? They kept the crowd sparse enough that I felt comfortable with a mask on. It was actually kind of nice not having to navigate through a sea of flab to dig into long boxes. 

1 hour ago, cloud cloddie said:

For me and cons, it’ll mostly be about artists going. The last few years I’ve gone to a lot of them just to go, and hopefully I’d get to meet up with artists. Moving forward, if there’s no artists I’m interested in at a con, I’ll pass. Dealer booths and cosplay don’t do it for me. 

+ 1 I go to cons first to find and meet artists and if possible buy directly from them. Dealers God bless them can survive via online. In fact without naming names I know at least a few dealers disenchanted with costs vs. reward before covid hit us. I always like seeing them but if  the new world reality makes that a no go we will all adjust.

🍇 + 🦍 

3 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Did you go to the show last August? They kept the crowd sparse enough that I felt comfortable with a mask on. It was actually kind of nice not having to navigate through a sea of flab to dig into long boxes. 

I did not.. it is about a 4 hour ride and at that point I was not to sure what to expect. but looking forward to it now. 

Just now, Unstoppablejayd said:

I did not.. it is about a 4 hour ride and at that point I was not to sure what to expect. but looking forward to it now. 

I'm not confident I'll be vaccinated before next month's show but I'll be there, mask on, hoping they run similar protocols as last year. 

Wow, it's hard to imagine people aren't eating out but I'm in Florida and in my early 40s. Not a covid denier or anything, I've been pretty sick twice in the past year. Been eating out since May and that's been a nice bit of normalcy. Not that I'm eating out a lot, and get take out too.

I wouldn't go to a con unless I was vaccinated later this year. But I've never been to a con before either. Just seems like a huge hassle right now even in vaccinated.

Edited by Twanj

Where i live, we don't get a lot of major artists so its tough to justify going to one. Flying to the US from Canada is so expensive, i'd be hard pressed to do that either... maybe emerald city since its close.

But really, cons are kind of overrated to me when I could just contact a lot of artists or their reps directly without the hassle. That said, the atmosphere at cons is one of a kind... unfortunately not always the good kind, though.

2 hours ago, Twanj said:

Wow, it's hard to imagine people aren't eating out but I'm in Florida and in my early 40s

I am in NJ, so outside dining is not really an option due to weather and indoor dining too risky with no vaccine in the wifey. I ate at a 5 Guys twice recently, limited tables and seating but I sat down and took off my mask and ate...boy was it weird. The summer was bad here and no indoor dining options were available. Indoor dining is only allowed at 25% or 35% capacity now, something like that.

12 minutes ago, babsrocks31 said:

But really, cons are kind of overrated to me when I could just contact a lot of artists or their reps directly without the hassle. 

Gotta disagree with that. I’ve had the opportunity for commissions and art purchases the last few years, that I don’t think for a second would’ve happened if I hadn’t talked to and purchased from artists directly at cons to build up those relationships. 

1 hour ago, cloud cloddie said:

Gotta disagree with that. I’ve had the opportunity for commissions and art purchases the last few years, that I don’t think for a second would’ve happened if I hadn’t talked to and purchased from artists directly at cons to build up those relationships. 

That's fair. I think relationships can be built online, too, but I see how that is more of an on going process. I can certainly see the benefit of cons, but as someone who makes less than 40k a year in Canadian dollars, the travel and the costs just aren't worth it.

Ive been eating out since April nearly every other week with my Wife/Kids. Ive been to 5-6 shows in the last 10 months including the comic art con back in September. Ive also seen about 9 movies in the theater in that same time (Indy 1, BTTF 1-3, WW, Tenet, News of the World, Guardians of the Galaxy 1, Bloodshot). I plan on going to the comic show this weekend in my area and will be going to NJ in April.

If I end up taking one of the injections, I would still keep going as I did in the last year.

1 hour ago, Taylor G said:

You know that it's not clear if having the vaccine, protecting you from infection, actually prevents you from being a spreader, right?

it does seem like it does prevent spread according to data. I did not consider it a risk, maybe I am wrong? But with no one else eating in there, 6+ feet all around, workers and customers picking up with masks etc. I felt it was a reasonable thing to do; my burger was going to get cold.

;-)

The CDC just updated its guidance for how vaccinated folks should act for now:

Fully vaccinated people can:

• Visit with other fully vaccinated people indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing
  • Visit with unvaccinated people from a single household who are at low risk for severe COVID-19 disease indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing
  • Refrain from quarantine and testing following a known exposure if asymptomatic

For now, fully vaccinated people should continue to:

• Take precautions in public like wearing a well-fitted mask and physical distancing
  • Wear masks, practice physical distancing, and adhere to other prevention measures when visiting with unvaccinated people who are at increased risk for severe COVID-19 disease or who have an unvaccinated household member who is at increased risk for severe COVID-19 disease
  • Wear masks, maintain physical distance, and practice other prevention measures when visiting with unvaccinated people from multiple households
  • Avoid medium- and large-sized in-person gatherings
  • Get tested if experiencing COVID-19 symptoms
  • Follow guidance issued by individual employers
  • Follow CDC and health department travel requirements and recommendations