• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Thorne as died

13 posts in this topic

Very sad news Frank Thorne has died.
It was posted on his facebook page earlier today. I do not have any additional information. I know he had been looking for his wife who was not well. She died just a few hours after Frank.
I have been a huge fan of Frank's work for years. First exposed to his Red Sonja back in the 70s and later his seminal work Ghita of Alizarr which was published in Warren's 1984 and 1994. For years he kept pretty much all of his artwork but then in he decided to sell it. To coincide with the art sale there was an exhibit at Illustration House in NYC, preview night was exactly 6 years ago this date March 7th 2015. What a weird coincidence.
It was the one and only time I met Frank, who was very warm and funny. I was able to a number of pieces from frank mostly from his Ghita but also a Red Sonja page. The exhibit was fantastic and preview night was packed with fellow collectors and fans of Frank.
This also started my association with Frank Thorne, as Frank along with Hermes Press would go and published a number of books on him and his artwork including Battling Beauties, Ghita and Erotic Treasury (two volumes repoducng the original art from his three stories and other related Ghita works) and reprinting his comics Lann, Ribit and Ghita.
Loved his work and also the time spent meeting him and working with him since then.
Here are a few of my favorites I own of his work.

PlkfC1ty_1608151929011.jpg

NM6JJ0B0_040519230236lola.jpg

LMpOq33V_040519225843lola.jpg

9hY6TOgG_3101150139401.jpg

9IoBZH6K_1406202103081sbpi.jpg

ajykfCho_1504152105211.jpg

Perhaps my favourite comic of all time is Gold Key Mighty Samson #1 - July 1964.  It was one of the first comics that I ever had.  It was given to my me by my cousin circa 1965 and I was absolutely mesmerized by it - still am.  

I loved Frank's run on Mighty Samson but it was much too brief.

Has anyone seen a single page from his run on this title?  I haven't.  If you've got a page please post it.

He did indeed live a long life.  Thanks for the memories Frank - RIP