• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you rather own the 9.4....

96 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ChillMan said:

Ok.  Are Heath Ledger (Brokeback Mountain) and Joukin Penix really so much cooler than Jason Momoa and Stephen Amell ?

What does Heath Ledger's role in Brokeback Mountain have to do with this at all?

Heath was an incredible Joker.  

Batman 1, easy choice.

4 hours ago, porcupine48 said:
10 hours ago, tth2 said:

Let me see if I can get an even more Soviet-style vote:

Would you rather own ...

The Mile High Action 1

CGC 10.0 New Mutants 98

TMNT 1 autographed by Stan Lee 

Expand  

lol TMNT signed by Liefeld and I'm in.

lol

22 hours ago, ChillMan said:

Most of you say Batman #1.  Let me ask you....

Would you rather own a 9.0 Batman #1....with 4 tied and 3 higher

Or the single best existing More Fun #73

Nobody in their right mind is choosing the More Fun.  Let it go.  

On 3/9/2021 at 8:03 PM, ChillMan said:

Joker > Aquaman & Green Arrow ?

Same answer after my edit?  Which is to hold onto....not to re-sell now.

And catwoman.  Although I read bats 1 (reprint) as a kid and do this day somewhat doubt that that's catwonan. B|

I think Batman 1, but it is at least a little tempting to take the Edgar Church MF 73--does that make me a bad Batman collector? (This assumes I have the resources to get another nice looking Batman 1, of course. If it were being given to me, with my current net worth, then it isn't a competition.)

Edited by bpc3qh

On 3/12/2021 at 10:56 AM, bpc3qh said:

I think Batman 1, but it is at least a little tempting to take the Edgar Church MF 73--does that make me a bad Batman collector? (This assumes I have the resources to get another nice looking Batman 1, of course. If it were being given to me, with my current net worth, then it isn't a competition.)

Thanks for addressing the issues I raised.

Which is 14th Batman & 1st Joker & Catwoman....vs 1st Aquaman & Green Arrow.

Plus the 9.4 pressed-up from 9.0 vs the Church copy.

10 years into the future....what do you all predict the price comparison will be?

1 hour ago, ChillMan said:

10 years into the future....what do you all predict the price comparison will be?

I mean, I expect the Bat 1 to way outsell the MF 73, but if I got either one I wouldn't be selling, so this isn't much of a consideration for me (I guess, actually, I'd be more likely to sell the Bat 1, take the money and buy both a lower but still good-looking copy of Bat 1 *and* a bunch of other books).

On 3/10/2021 at 3:58 PM, ChillMan said:

There are currently 2 copies above 8.0.  How many above 8.0 do you think exist....or will surface in the next 10 years?

I would guess that there are a couple dozen out there, but most will be locked in private collections for more than 10 years. I think people are underestimating the ratio of raw books to slabbed books, even for high-grade keys. Slabs are a tiny fraction of the total. Many kick-*** collections were built up in the 60s, 70s, and 80s and are still intact.

On 3/14/2021 at 8:58 PM, tth2 said:

Is there anything more irritating than when someone asks a question but clearly already has an answer in mind and refuses to accept any other answer?

Asking for a friend.

Yeah. Buying an almost pedigree level collection, then finding out everything has colored pencil on the spines but for NO reason books were 9.0-9.4, removing it, but clearly not enough, then getting blue labels by accident (should have been purple labels) and then thinking the resto wasnt additive, getting blue labels, meaning well, naively putting them up and then having an entire mongul of internet trolls who would never say stuff to your face talk smack and create conspiracy theories about how you tick. X-men 12 is 7.5 AFTER all ct removed. 

I'd want Tec 27 in 9.4 all day

Edited by dylanthekid
adding more information because nobody will let this go

2 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I would guess that there are a couple dozen out there, but most will be locked in private collections for more than 10 years. I think people are underestimating the ratio of raw books to slabbed books, even for high-grade keys. Slabs are a tiny fraction of the total. Many kick-*** collections were built up in the 60s, 70s, and 80s and are still intact.

I generally agree with this.  But the 10X bump MF 73 got 7 years ago only brought about 5 more unrestored's to the census.  And none above 8.0.  Do you think those collections built up way back included MF 73 ?

On 3/14/2021 at 7:58 PM, tth2 said:

Is there anything more irritating than when someone asks a question but clearly already has an answer in mind and refuses to accept any other answer?

Asking for a friend.

Recently in another thread here, I said that many GA keys should be worth 8-figures....compared to the recent sales of sports and Pokémon cards.  So I'm not a hater.  But points like I'm making haven't been addressed.  Please feel free to set me straight with facts & analysis.

And I want everyone to do well.  I suggest throwing down on MF 31, Human Torch #3(#2), other 'cameos'....most recent valid (unlike other hobbies where older is better) drivers licenses and passports of dead celebrities....

Edited by ChillMan

5 hours ago, ChillMan said:

I generally agree with this.  But the 10X bump MF 73 got 7 years ago only brought about 5 more unrestored's to the census.  And none above 8.0.  Do you think those collections built up way back included MF 73 ?

Yes, because run building and collecting keys were even higher priorities back then than they are now. (Cover art has become more and more of a focus over the years.)

6 hours ago, ChillMan said:

Recently in another thread here, I said that many GA keys should be worth 8-figures....compared to the recent sales of sports and Pokémon cards.  So I'm not a hater.  But points like I'm making haven't been addressed.  Please feel free to set me straight with facts & analysis.

And I want everyone to do well.  I suggest throwing down on MF 31, Human Torch #3(#2), other 'cameos'....most recent valid (unlike other hobbies where older is better) drivers licenses and passports of dead celebrities....

It might seem illogical for people to be spending so much money on Pokémon cards, etc., but for younger collectors (some of whom are Bitcoin millionaires, Tesla millionaires, etc.), those cards were part of their childhood, and comic books weren't.

There's a reason why the money people are shifting out of comic books and into video games and trading cards. Comic books are close to their zenith, whereas Pokémon cards and Nintendo games are on their way up. It's a matter of demographics. I don't begrudge Millennials their hobbies.

Edited by jimbo_7071

20 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

It might seem illogical for people to be spending so much money on Pokémon cards, etc., but for younger collectors (some of whom are Bitcoin millionaires, Tesla millionaires, etc.), those cards were part of their childhood, and comic books weren't.

There's a reason why the money people are shifting out of comic books and into video games and trading cards. Comic books are close to their zenith, whereas Pokémon cards and Nintendo games are on their way up. It's a matter of demographics. I don't begrudge Millennials their hobbies.

I guarantee....the guys who pay millions now for Pokémon or cards will soon figure-out that Golden Age key comics are the best.