• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

15 posts in this topic

Question for everyone. I’m well aware of the newsstand market, and I’ve been collecting comics for 25+ years. I’ve actually been identifying newsstand editions for over 10 years, long before most people even knew what a newsstand edition was.  But I have recently run into a large collection of solely newsstand edition comics that comprises about 15 long boxes. Any idea what I could get if I sold all 15 boxes in a single lot?  I’m thinking eBay since Heritage and ComicLink seem to focus on single, graded issues or very small lots.

Background: I’ll try to do my best to describe the lot.

The seller used to be a magazine distributor and had a giant back stock of comics and magazines. So everything is new oldstock. Grades vary, as his oldstock was kept in apple boxes. So anything from VG to NM/MT.  But most are high grade VF to NM/MT.  The brunt of the books date 1990-1994, but there are plenty from 1995-1999.

I pulled 8 copies of Heir to the Empire #1 and 5 copies of Batman Beyond #1.  Other than that, most books are commons with only some being recognizable soft-keys (X-Force #1, Spider-Man 2099 #1, Spectacular Spider-Man #200, Superman #75, etc.). Publishers are Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Image, Archie, Valiant, and Malibu.

There are plenty of kids books ranging from Archie vs. the Punisher to Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, TMNT, Biker Alice From Mars, Cowboys of Moo-Mesa, etc.  But it’s a lot of random commons such as Marvel Summer Special 1992.  I’m actually surprised that some of these Non-Marvel and DC issues even hit the newsstand. Random later copies of Brigade and Bloodshot.  There are a few issues of Spawn, but all are in the first 20 issues.  All have UPC logos.

Any idea what this is worth in today’s market?

That's going to be borderline impossible to estimate in bulk. There are, of course, a few key-ish things in that range, but it's also sort of the value pit era of modern comics. Newsstand printings are... probably worth more, especially in high grade, but the market is much more niche. Auctioning a scarce and potentially valuable book could roll snake eyes if there aren't newsstand collectors chasing it at that exact time.

Selling this as bulk is almost certainly to underperform. Huge bulk lots do not yield FMV on Ebay; they go for huge bulk lot prices (and shipping is brutal). Often, I'd recommend MCS for 15 long boxes but they don't generally break out newsstands for more aggressive pricing. I'd be inclined to put in the labor to determine which books have value and handle them separately then consider Ebay or something for the remaining content as bulk newsstand filler, I think.

16 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

That's going to be borderline impossible to estimate in bulk. There are, of course, a few key-ish things in that range, but it's also sort of the value pit era of modern comics. Newsstand printings are... probably worth more, especially in high grade, but the market is much more niche. Auctioning a scarce and potentially valuable book could roll snake eyes if there aren't newsstand collectors chasing it at that exact time.

Selling this as bulk is almost certainly to underperform. Huge bulk lots do not yield FMV on Ebay; they go for huge bulk lot prices (and shipping is brutal). Often, I'd recommend MCS for 15 long boxes but they don't generally break out newsstands for more aggressive pricing. I'd be inclined to put in the labor to determine which books have value and handle them separately then consider Ebay or something for the remaining content as bulk newsstand filler, I think.

This^

Spawn even early issues now in high grade newsstands sell much higher than direct editions.  I would BIN only as auctions are too much of a gamble on who is looking at the right time of the auction, then you get pennies on the dollar for something.  Truthfully, even some borderline drek in a CGC 9.8 Newsstand might be pretty good returns in this market. 

Thanks everyone. I’ll probably go the route of breaking it up and selling individually then. I wouldn’t ever sell this at auction, but I was thinking BIN for the lot and unsure on price.  I guess single BIN it will be.

On 3/10/2021 at 12:36 PM, TGrier said:

I’ve actually been identifying newsstand editions for over 10 years, long before most people even knew what a newsstand edition was.

lol:eyeroll:

Just because they weren't being way over-hyped with lies, faulty logic and false assumptions, that doesn't mean people didn't know what they were.

On 3/10/2021 at 12:36 PM, TGrier said:

There are plenty of kids books ranging from Archie vs. the Punisher to Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, TMNT, Biker Alice From Mars, Cowboys of Moo-Mesa, etc.  But it’s a lot of random commons such as Marvel Summer Special 1992.  I’m actually surprised that some of these Non-Marvel and DC issues even hit the newsstand.

??? Why?

Because the audience was so small and the issues were already on low print runs at comic shops, let alone on the newsstand. There weren’t too many people buying Supreme #45 or Eternal Warrior #50, it surprised me that Image and Valiant even bothered selling these outside of comic shops.

13 hours ago, TGrier said:

Because the audience was so small and the issues were already on low print runs at comic shops, let alone on the newsstand. There weren’t too many people buying Supreme #45 or Eternal Warrior #50, it surprised me that Image and Valiant even bothered selling these outside of comic shops.

For me, the surprise isn't that they were trying to sell them in more venues, but that they were selling returnable copies at that point.

On 3/13/2021 at 9:16 PM, TGrier said:

If you have an Eternal Warrior #50 newsstand, please let me know. :kidaround: