• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IS HE RIGHT....................... "THERE ARE 3000+ NM 98! 2K THESE PEOPLE ARE CRAZY......." ARE YOU A DINOSAUR FROM ANOTHER AGE?"
3 3

121 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

But there are degrees by which a comic is off. Unlike a card, it's not trimmed on all 4 sides. In the case of a wraparound cover, how do you determine whether it's not centered?

And major staple problems are pretty rare, while miswraps (and miscuts) are quite common.

Untitled.thumb.png.b433795b76250622b1b5c67456df4ee9.png

10 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

But there are degrees by which a comic is off. Unlike a card, it's not trimmed on all 4 sides. In the case of a wraparound cover, how do you determine whether it's not centered?

Cards are cut I believe from giant sheets cardboard with hundreds of images printed on them. If the card stock is allowed to move during the cutting process, it will result in misshapen cards. If the paper stock for comic book covers is allowed to move, it will result in an off center print until everything is aligned again. That is how I images printing errors. it only needs to be a 1/4th inch for a very noticeable error.

Take for example Batman 234. On Batman's right shoulder (his right our left) we see a white dot on virtually every copy. That dot becomes a tiny scuff, then develops into a scuff about a quarter to a half inch scuff. All copies that I have seen have either a small white dot or a white scuffing in varying degrees.

That suggests as the covers were being printed on a huge roll to be cut down to size eventually, something got into the printer or a piece of debris was attached to that section of paper and began skidding itself across that small area until it finally broke loose. However, I have yet to see any copy of that issue without either the dot or the scuff on Batman's shoulder.

We can tell whether a wrap around cover has been "misprinted" simply by borders. If you look at a back cover and the ad isn't square with the borders of the cut sides, it's misaligned. If we look at sat Batman 244 and see the circle with the 20 cent price is missing a part of the top or the side, it's a miswrap. Miscut, really. 

My issue of Bat #234 has a tiny white dot and not a scuff. Good. I also bought it because it features the entire white banner saying "The return of Two Face..Twice as evil twice as dangerous!" MOST copies don't feature the entirety of the banner. The right side is usually missing to varying degrees. Collectors consider that a miswrap while I beg to differ and consider the others miswraps.Untitled.thumb.jpg.e4d538db4ce67a997ca5e87364a96ae5.jpgUntitled.thumb.jpg.e4d538db4ce67a997ca5e87364a96ae5.jpg

Untitled.png

Edited by Randall Ries

On 3/14/2021 at 8:59 PM, I am not Glenda said:
On 3/14/2021 at 9:23 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

That is his main point... new card money does not care about our old comic rules. They don't care that comic old guard worry over census population.

I can't agree more and after looking at many of the posts here by many of the " old guard" it's hard not to see his point of view...."I would only buy it if I like it" "I am not in it for the money" I can't understand how any can drop 2k on a modern book" 

Keep in mind many here even buying high dollar books love comics. We grew up with them and many are OCD and want the best copy they can have. 

I don't fault new collectors, but I feel sorry for any that are buying to read/collect and love the character because at this time period they are over paying for books.  Its a bad time to be a buyer, but a great time to be a seller.

On 3/15/2021 at 12:12 AM, Subby1938 said:

It’s irrelevant wether you care or not . Comic books have changed . Pop culture has changed . We are no longer geeks collecting and sharing our hobby with nerds underground . This is full blown modern Americana pop culture . 

You know what I find so ironic  is you can go back decades at this point and its the same statements in one form or another over and over" I would never spend that much on a comic unless I loved it" "There are to many of them out there"  "I would buy a rare golden age romance before I bought a modern" I am in it for the love of comics" blah blah blah. 20 years plus of a world wide internet market bringing in millions of new collector that is continually being fueled by TV shows, movies & social media has not convinced some collectors that it's not 1985 & Overstreet is still relevant. 

Edited by I am not Glenda

5 hours ago, I am not Glenda said:

You know what I find so ironic  is you can go back decades at this point and its the same statements in one form or another over and over" I would never spend that much on a comic unless I loved it" "There are to many of them out there"  "I would buy a rare golden age romance before I bought a modern" I am in it for the love of comics" blah blah blah. 20 years plus of a world wide internet market bringing in millions of new collector that is continually being fueled by TV shows, movies & social media has not convinced some collectors that it's not 1985 & Overstreet is still relevant. 

Were you even alive in the mid-90s?

On 3/15/2021 at 1:26 AM, waaaghboss said:

2nd prints.  Wish I had held onto all my 2nd print asm 361's :(

When this issue came out I was actively speccing on comics. And I missed the first print but I worked at a Kroger that carried newsstands. So 2-3 weeks later I could pick up the newsstand version or later printing newsies.

At the time reprints and newsies were placeholders in the collection. I settled for them. In my other favorite genre or comics, underground comix, it was the same way. We assigned more value and desirability to the first printings. The original versions. 

On 3/17/2021 at 10:03 AM, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

These guys are going to make me rich, so ZERO complaints here. 

(Does anyone know the email address of the guy who made the video? I'd like to sell him some comics...)

Man, those are some 2nd rate tier keys he bought.  Might as well saved up his money and just buy a Low grade GSX 1.  

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Man, those are some 2nd rate tier keys he bought.  Might as well saved up his money and just buy a Low grade GSX 1.  

It would be nice for people like this, that have influence over people interested in spending a lot of money on a hobby that they know nothing about, to raise the level of interest in 2nd tier keys so they become 1st tier keys.

1 minute ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

It would be nice for people like this, that have influence over people interested in spending a lot of money on a hobby that they know nothing about, to raise the level of interest in 2nd tier keys so they become 1st tier keys.

I would anticipate more of a pump and dump.. does anyone really care ASM 252 that much?  

ASM 252 is not a minor key and I can’t believe some of the ignorant comments on here . This book for example is first cover hommage of AF15 and ushered in a new era for Spiderman . A much needed overhaul from a lack lustre Bronze Age . Those stories aside from the intro to Punisher blew hard . The art was even worse . The census is low for a mass produced comic and it also had very rare price variant . All that being said it set the stage for one of the biggest new villain intros in Spider-Man’s illustrious run .... Venom. Minor key is laughable just stupid imo. It’s a cover that will be recognized 100 years from now. That’s impact! 

On 3/18/2021 at 1:27 PM, Wolverinex said:

I would anticipate more of a pump and dump.. does anyone really care ASM 252 that much?  

The ignorance is beyond words . Go find an X thread you can talk about Jubilee or something , now there’s a winner !!!!

if you want to talk punk and dump try these 

new mutants 87,98

uncanny xmen 266

between the three of them they have what 20K copies graded lmao. Compare numbers and then impact those three books have compared to ASM 252 I’ll take the Spiderman anytime over that charcoal.

32 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

The ignorance is beyond words . Go find an X thread you can talk about Jubilee or something , now there’s a winner !!!!

if you want to talk punk and dump try these 

new mutants 87,98

uncanny xmen 266

between the three of them they have what 20K copies graded lmao. Compare numbers and then impact those three books have compared to ASM 252 I’ll take the Spiderman anytime over that charcoal.

Agree to disagree. 

It is an excellent homage and yes,  an important issue for Venom fans but I  was mainly questioning all the choices the youtuber was picking and his thought process.

If I just came into comic world,  this would not be in the top key I would buy .   I would recommend the highest grade ASM 300 ,UF4 or maybe 361 as my first choices to my audience. In my opinion, those will definitely go up fast.   After you get those,  then branch out to these other minor keys. That's my opinion,  obviously you think otherwise and that's great.  I'm glad you have conviction in what you like. (thumbsu

Edited by Wolverinex

On 3/18/2021 at 1:27 PM, Wolverinex said:

Once/if the majority of collectors settle on this as the first true appearance of Venom... watch out.

The opinions of the "real" collectors wont matter at that point.

15 minutes ago, HotKey said:

Once/if the majority of collectors settle on this as the first true appearance of Venom... watch out.

The opinions of the "real" collectors wont matter at that point.

The way I see it, there are three kinds of buyers at work in the market:

- day traders who dont care what they're buying as long as they can flip to someone else for more than what they paid.  They're the ones setting new highs, flipping back and forth with each other.

- old guys, who mostly have what they want already.  They are largely unaffected by the mob, because they're not chasing trends.

- the young collector, who was told by some of the old guys "buy what you like, but you really want to buy keys."  They're buying books they cant afford and are afraid to touch.  They're overpaying because they dont realize the day traders are pushing prices above a sustainable value.  They're always selling because they put themselves into debt overpaying for the flavor of the month.  When the market corrects, they're going to lose money and disappear.