• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IS HE RIGHT....................... "THERE ARE 3000+ NM 98! 2K THESE PEOPLE ARE CRAZY......." ARE YOU A DINOSAUR FROM ANOTHER AGE?"
3 3

121 posts in this topic

The new collector does not give a about some old way or code of buying it’s clear . This market has trended up and up and up it’s been that way for years now . It’s not crashing or bottoming out unless everything pop culture does first . That’s fact  and last time I checked Disney was not in the business of bankruptcy . It’s becoming more difficult to get top grade books because new collectors know that’s where the biggest money is . It took them ten seconds to find that on google search . 

day traders deal in a complete financial farce built on trillions of dollars in debt pretending they actually have assets lmao. Make believe world a financial utopia soon to be brought to its knees by the big red machine . I def won’t park my money there . 

Edited by Subby1938

15 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

ASM 252 is not a minor key and I can’t believe some of the ignorant comments on here . This book for example is first cover hommage of AF15 and ushered in a new era for Spiderman . A much needed overhaul from a lack lustre Bronze Age . Those stories aside from the intro to Punisher blew hard . The art was even worse . The census is low for a mass produced comic and it also had very rare price variant . All that being said it set the stage for one of the biggest new villain intros in Spider-Man’s illustrious run .... Venom. Minor key is laughable just stupid imo. It’s a cover that will be recognized 100 years from now. That’s impact! 

I don't disagree with your general assessment that this book is important, but a couple of things you have wrong:

1. Marvel Tales 137 was printed more than 2 years before Amazing 252, and is an Amazing Fantasy 15 cover homage. So 252 isn't the first. (I'm not sure if Marvel Tales 137 is, but it's one example that proves that 252 isn't.)

2. Amazing Spier-man 238 was printed a year before 252 and introduced the Hobgoblin. While I wasn't collecting comics then, when I started a few years after that, the Hobgoblin was pretty much the biggest Spidey villain around, so it can't be said that 252 was the book that revitalized ASM on its own.

Just now, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Marvel Tales 137 was printed more than 2 years before Amazing 252, and is an Amazing Fantasy 15 cover homage. So 252 isn't the first. (I'm not sure if Marvel Tales 137 is, but it's one example that proves that 252 isn't.)

The cover to Marvel Tales #137 was a reprint not a homage.

3 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I don't disagree with your general assessment that this book is important, but a couple of things you have wrong:

1. Marvel Tales 137 was printed more than 2 years before Amazing 252, and is an Amazing Fantasy 15 cover homage. So 252 isn't the first. (I'm not sure if Marvel Tales 137 is, but it's one example that proves that 252 isn't.)

2. Amazing Spier-man 238 was printed a year before 252 and introduced the Hobgoblin. While I wasn't collecting comics then, when I started a few years after that, the Hobgoblin was pretty much the biggest Spidey villain around, so it can't be said that 252 was the book that revitalized ASM on its own.

Marvel tales was a reprint not an hommage that’s why I didn’t  mention it . ASM 238 didn’t usher in the black suit era only one character could do that , the one wearing it . He made a great antagonist  . Marvel specifically chose AF15 hommage with the black suit swipe as the moment of that era ... 

Edited by Subby1938

1 hour ago, Subby1938 said:

Marvel tales was a reprint not an hommage that’s why I didn’t  mention it . ASM 238 didn’t usher in the black suit era only one character could do that , the one wearing it . He made a great antagonist  . Marvel specifically chose AF15 hommage with the black suit swipe as the moment of that era ... 

I didn't say that 238 had anything to do with the black suit. I was responding to this: "This book for example is first cover hommage of AF15 and ushered in a new era for Spiderman . A much needed overhaul from a lack lustre Bronze Age." This, and your subsequent comments are about Bronze-Age Spidey, and how 252 revitalized the title. My comment was pointing out that the revitalization was already underway because of 238.

That didn’t revitalize anything . Look how many crappy issues followed . I love the book don’t get me wrong and he’s one big boys from that ASM run but this was pre 252. They kept using him throughout decade but I don’t think it took off until last few years collectors ponyed up. 

2 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

ASM 252 - first appearance of Venom

ASM 300 - first appearance of Eddie Brock 

Who knows what the future holds.

The symbiote suit IS Venom. I've always believed this.

I know many disagree, but the market is moving in that direction. Join us or keep yelling 'get off my lawn' 😎

Mcfarlane even stated 300 isn't the first Venom. Go argue with the creator lol

tenor.png

6 hours ago, HotKey said:

The symbiote suit IS Venom. I've always believed this.

I know many disagree, but the market is moving in that direction. Join us or keep yelling 'get off my lawn' 😎

Mcfarlane even stated 300 isn't the first Venom. Go argue with the creator lol

tenor.png

McFarlane first drew Venom, but it was Micheline's concept long before McFarlane was involved with Spidey.

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

McFarlane first drew Venom, but it was Micheline's concept long before McFarlane was involved with Spidey.

Good point! Has Micheline said what his original plan was with the suit before Todd came on?

6 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

That didn’t revitalize anything . Look how many crappy issues followed . I love the book don’t get me wrong and he’s one big boys from that ASM run but this was pre 252. They kept using him throughout decade but I don’t think it took off until last few years collectors ponyed up. 

For me, Amazing Spider-Man #238-250 were anything but crappy - they were an Indian summer of excellence after several years of mediocrity.  The issues by DeFalco and Frenz seemed very clunky by comparison.

5 minutes ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

In the interview I linked to, Michelinie said, "To me, Eddie Brock and the symbiote–thats VENOM. Take John Doe and the symbiote, thats someone else."

Yeah but he's speaking to his current view of it, previously in that article he pretty clearly lays out the original Venom origin had no ties to Eddie and would have been Venom without Eddie but after talking with Jim he changed it and created Eddie and he became Venom, then they retconned Eddie's hand into Web #18.

Screenshot_20210322-155437_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210322-155505_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210322-155517_Chrome.jpg

4 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

For me, Amazing Spider-Man #238-250 were anything but crappy - they were an Indian summer of excellence after several years of mediocrity.  The issues by DeFalco and Frenz seemed very clunky by comparison.

They were pretty bad as was the artwork . A few cool covers but very drab . 

7 hours ago, HotKey said:

Yeah but he's speaking to his current view of it, previously in that article he pretty clearly lays out the original Venom origin had no ties to Eddie and would have been Venom without Eddie but after talking with Jim he changed it and created Eddie and he became Venom, then they retconned Eddie's hand into Web #18.

Screenshot_20210322-155437_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210322-155505_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210322-155517_Chrome.jpg

I think it's pretty clear what he's saying. Venom is the combination of the symbiote and the person that it bonds with over a mutual hatred of Spider-man. That host was originally conceived to be a woman, but was changed. Eddie Brock + the symbiote = Venom. The symbiote + a different host = something else.

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps

6 hours ago, HotKey said:

No. There was no retcon. The specific idea for the symbiote's new host was changed before Venom was finalized, but the basic idea of somebody who hated Spidey as much as the symbiote remained.

What if the original idea was to call the new combination something other than Venom? Does it matter? Of course not. Ideas from the creative process don't matter if they aren't part of the finished, published product.

52 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I think it's pretty clear what he's saying. Venom is the combination of the symbiote and the person that it bonds with over a mutual hatred of Spider-man. That host was originally conceived to be a woman, but was changed. Eddie Brock + the symbiote = Venom. The symbiote = a different host + something else.

But...the symbiote and Mac Gargon = Venom.  Flash Thompson and the symbiote = Venom.  The symbiote and some no named guy who everyone forgot already = Venom.  Seems like Venom is the symbiote first and foremost.