• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do comics missing pages get high grades?
1 1

47 posts in this topic

Question for the experts here....

So I was browsing Comic Connect today, and there is an X-Men #6 (1964) graded at a 9.2.  It states that there is page missing but doesn't affect story.  Looks good, but in my mind, why should it garner a Near Mint grading?  Makes no sense to me.  The comic is incomplete.  That alone should knock that down several tiers. Seems crazy to me.  Thoughts?

If it had a blue label, a 9.2 grade, and said it had a missing story page, that would be "off".  It's exactly as it should be, given the grading options. 

In general, anyone purchasing anything should be fully aware of what they are buying, or they should take the time to investigate more about the item or service.  If money is leaving your hand, you had best be sure.  If something is correctly portrayed, and you think it's something else, that's on you.

3 hours ago, Gaard said:

It's CGC's grading criteria and they set the rules for their grading. IMO, however, there should be no such thing as a 'qualified' grade.

I somewhat agree. I think that certain MFG defects call for a "Qualified" label, only to make it crystal clear to the consumer that: "This was not intended to be produced this way." Stuff such as missing inks, missing staple, etc. I would not include incomplete books in this category. They would all be NG-0.5 IMO.

2 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

I somewhat agree. I think that certain MFG defects call for a "Qualified" label, only to make it crystal clear to the consumer that: "This was not intended to be produced this way." Stuff such as missing inks, missing staple, etc. I would not include incomplete books in this category. They would all be NG-0.5 IMO.

I can understand this line of thinking.

Im not sure I could buy a qualified green label, only because I am a completist.  A missing Marvel Stamp I might swing at the right price, but top dollar for a comic missing an entire page is disaster to me. In my 40 +years of collecting, I have some with a missing page or two, and when I come across one, it bugs me.  I know thats my choice.  

You all make excellent arguments. I agree with Gaard however, its either this or that. It cant be “kinda this, sorta this, so we decide its this”. There has to be a static standard.  I buy a comic, its in the condition that it is in, incomplete, intact, complete, or pristine. To me, there is no other option.

Of the 2 choices, qualified or incomplete, it doesn't matter.  The important thing is to relate what is IN the slab to the observer, whether a collector or dealer, buyer or seller.

The green label immediately alerts you that something is different about the comic.  So even though you might be impressed by the visual appearance, you know something's up.  The text on the label tells you what that is.

Same as if it was labeled 0.5 Incomplete, with the caveat of what is missing.  You might at first glance say "How can that beautiful book be a 0.5?"  Then you read the text.  Either way, you come to understand what is between the welded plastic panels, since you can't flip through it.

What is still curious is that sometimes it comes back 0.5, other times green label 9.X.  Who decides?  I am told by some you can direct (request?) the 0.5 in lieu of the green, or vice versa.  But I have seen people complain here that it was ignored.  Maybe someone knows the truth.

4 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

Of the 2 choices, qualified or incomplete, it doesn't matter.  The important thing is to relate what is IN the slab to the observer, whether a collector or dealer, buyer or seller.

The green label immediately alerts you that something is different about the comic.  So even though you might be impressed by the visual appearance, you know something's up.  The text on the label tells you what that is.

Same as if it was labeled 0.5 Incomplete, with the caveat of what is missing.  You might at first glance say "How can that beautiful book be a 0.5?"  Then you read the text.  Either way, you come to understand what is between the welded plastic panels, since you can't flip through it.

What is still curious is that sometimes it comes back 0.5, other times green label 9.X.  Who decides?  I am told by some you can direct (request?) the 0.5 in lieu of the green, or vice versa.  But I have seen people complain here that it was ignored.  Maybe someone knows the truth.

So, green labels mean the books would receive the printed grade except for one (usually nonstandard) flaw. Low grade stuff rarely gets green labeled, because there's rarely one significant flaw marring an otherwise nice book. Qualified labels are sort of the exception to "grades are technical, not an appraisal of the book's visual appeal"; no one really wants a 2.0Q, but the green label exists to allow a 9.6-appearing 0.5U book to stand out from the copies in truly terrible overall condition.

You can request universal labels from CGC where all flaws are considered. Most often, this is done for books that only exist as signed copies because some people prefer a 9.0U to a 9.6/9.8Q. Your mileage may vary, and such requests are at the graders' discretion. I don't think they regularly honor requests in the other direction.

Edited by Qalyar

On 3/13/2021 at 9:28 PM, JayBees said:

Im not sure I could buy a qualified green label, only because I am a completist.  A missing Marvel Stamp I might swing at the right price, but top dollar for a comic missing an entire page is disaster to me. In my 40 +years of collecting, I have some with a missing page or two, and when I come across one, it bugs me.  I know thats my choice.  

You all make excellent arguments. I agree with Gaard however, its either this or that. It cant be “kinda this, sorta this, so we decide its this”. There has to be a static standard.  I buy a comic, its in the condition that it is in, incomplete, intact, complete, or pristine. To me, there is no other option.

I like that there is nuance to grading in our hobby. I don't think the Qualified label introduces any ambiguity; after all, it is a completely different color and gives more information to an interested buyer. I'm happy that there is an option for that 9.2 X-Men you're talking about--that's the sort of information that lets me make an informed buying decision.

12 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

They are. But if you have an incomplete copy that is otherwise a 9.8 and an incomplete copy that is otherwise a 1.8, the qualified grade is much more informative than simply calling both 0.5.

IMO there should not be an "otherwise". Incomplete is incomplete.