• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When Spidey met Subby?
2 2

24 posts in this topic

I've been puzzling on this, and maybe I'm forgetting something, but I don't think these 2 met during the Silver Age. Of all the early Marvel crossovers among characters who were prominent in the early SA, I cannot think of one that includes these two. The earliest meeting I can think of is Daredevil #77 (1971), early Bronze. Can this be right, or am I overlooking/forgetting something obvious? Or something brief, minor and not-at-all obvious?? ???

3 hours ago, Michael Esposito said:

If you want them both on the same cover you can go as early as Fantastic Four Annual 1.

Spidey is in Sub Mariner 14 (1969), but I don't remember the issue and can't say if they actually meet haha

I know about FF ann 1 but its just images on a cover. I'm talking about actually meeting in continuity. I'll have to dig up a Subby 14 as that's two years earlier than DD. (thumbsu

11 hours ago, Michael Esposito said:

If you want them both on the same cover you can go as early as Fantastic Four Annual 1.

Spidey is in Sub Mariner 14 (1969), but I don't remember the issue and can't say if they actually meet haha

Spidey is just in a side panel listening to the news, no actual meeting with Subby.

10 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

It’s part 2 of a crossover from DD77. Not sure if they are same month or back to back.

Really? I vaguely recalled Spidey and Namor in space or another dimension. Don't recall DD in it at all, but it is forty plus years since I read it.

I was never a Namor fan but in the summer of 75 I bought a huge stack of them and binge read them.

8 hours ago, shadroch said:

Really? I vaguely recalled Spidey and Namor in space or another dimension. Don't recall DD in it at all, but it is forty plus years since I read it.

I was never a Namor fan but in the summer of 75 I bought a huge stack of them and binge read them.

Yeah, I stumbled across the connection in my research efforts. DD isn’t in part II in Subby 40, but the events apparently follow on from the three-way meeting in DD77. (June/Aug 1971, respectively). I find it hard to believe these 2 had not met in the Silver Age, but that may be the case.

Daredevil 77 June 1971 - Spidey, DD and Subby
Sub-Mariner 14 - June 1969 (No Spidey) - I have a copy.
Fantastic Four Annual 1 & 3  - The cover shows Spidey on the cover but never met Subby. #3 - October 1965  Spidey is yet to meet with Subby.
MTU 14 October 1973
Sub-Mariner 40 - August 1971

41 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Daredevil 77 June 1971 - Spidey, DD and Subby
Sub-Mariner 14 - June 1969 (No Spidey) - I have a copy.
Fantastic Four Annual 1 & 3  - The cover shows Spidey on the cover but never met Subby. #3 - October 1965  Spidey is yet to meet with Subby.
MTU 14 October 1973
Sub-Mariner 40 - August 1971

Thanks Michael!

Gang, our recap so far is above: We cannot as yet identify a real in-continuity meeting between Spidey and Subby earlier than DD 77. Amazingly, it appears they may not have met until the bronze age.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

Others may disagree but I consider books from the summer of 71 to be Silver Age. I consider the price hike to 20 cents as the cutoff.

Fair enough, but it’s easy enough to agree that it’s in the grey zone Silver Age at best, as many would put the start of bronze at Conan 1. I’m racking my brain and cannot think of an encounter between the two anywhere that might fall in a broadly agreed upon part of the Marvel Silver era. I can’t think of an encounter with a 12-cent cover.

That does seem to be their first meeting, and exactly when the SA ends is certainly subjective. 

Offhand, I can't think of a meeting between Daredevil and Iron Man in that era.  I imagine there are many other examples. Did Doctor Strange encounter Namor before Submariner 34?