• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing For Noobs

21 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, 

I have some general inquiries about pressing I was hoping some pros could help out with. I have more modern comics in my collection than anything else, but I have a couple nice older ones. It sounds like pressing newer comics doesn't do that much for them if they're already in the 9s area, is that correct? So if I only have one or two older ones in my lot of 10 that I'm sending out to get graded, should I only get those one or two pressed? Would they separate my order at that point and mail me back a set of unpressed, graded comics and one of the pressed and graded comics, assuming they're all in the same grading tier? I ask as a Canadian who's gonna pay half his order expenses on shipping.   

Thanks everyone!

51 minutes ago, Devin Colman said:

Hello everyone, 

I have some general inquiries about pressing I was hoping some pros could help out with. I have more modern comics in my collection than anything else, but I have a couple nice older ones. It sounds like pressing newer comics doesn't do that much for them if they're already in the 9s area, is that correct?

That is incorrect. Pressing is best for modern comics since those are the ones that are more likely to end up with a 9.8. Many off the stands are around 9.4 due to handling but could be brought to a 9.8 after a press

1 minute ago, WoWitHurts said:

I find some people think every book needs pressed which isn't the case. The age of the book seems irreverent more so than are there perusable defects. 

If you don't mind me asking, when do u know to press? Is it when u have slight, non-colour breaking bends?

you just have to train your eye. Obviously a color breaking crease cannot be fixed with pressing. So yes, non color breaking bends. If there is some puckering on the spine. A slight spine roll. Some people are more skilled than others at it too. Joey_post on this board does it professionally and is very good.

6 minutes ago, Devin Colman said:

If you don't mind me asking, when do u know to press? Is it when u have slight, non-colour breaking bends?

yes, exactly that. Hence why many moderns that were read once and then put in a bag and board are great pressing candidates

Edited by William-James88

Along those same lines. If you get really nice books from your LCS, or wherever you get them, and you want to read them before you have them graded, just be sure to wash your hands (or wear gloves if you want to be really exacting). And do NOT open the cover all the way, avoid those spine stresses. I read TMNT Last Ronin #1 then sent it straight in to be graded and got it at a 9.8. Maybe it was a 9.9 or 10 candidate before I did read it, but, well, I wanted to read it  :). If there are no obvious pressable defects don't create any, and try to keep fingerprints off of them.

I *think* a quick press is a press without humidifying the comic first. For deeper folds/creases, etc... they have to humidify the comic to allow the press to get in there.

1 minute ago, Devin Colman said:

cool thanks everyone! I appreciate all the wisdom! What's the big difference between press and quick press? If I have great shape, read once comics, would a quick press give them the boost they need?

1 minute ago, xvipah said:

I *think* a quick press is a press without humidifying the comic first. For deeper folds/creases, etc... they have to humidify the comic to allow the press to get in there.

awesome thanks, so a quick press is a good choice for a comic in great shape with some slight, non colour breaking deformation?

If my info is right, then I would think yes. But there are people who know far more about pressing than me who you may want to let chime in.

1 minute ago, Devin Colman said:

awesome thanks, so a quick press is a good choice for a comic in great shape with some slight, non colour breaking deformation?

Spend some time Youtubing, searching and finding examples of pressable defects. If your books have these, press them. If they don't, you are likely wasting money on a press. If you don't want to take the time to research this then just press em all!

2 hours ago, xvipah said:

Maybe it was a 9.9 or 10 candidate before I did read it

It wasn't. A comic is either a 9.8 or 9.9 or 10 candidate, it cannot be a candidate to more than one of those, ever.

Here are the rules:

9.8: No wear whatsoever, manufacturing imperfections allowed

9.9: No wear whatsoever, minimal manufacturing imperfections allowed

10: No wear whatsoever, no manufacturing imperfections allowed (including anything every so slightly off centre)

If you got a 9.8, then that's the highest you could have ever gotten it. 

2 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

Basically: If you don't know how to grade, (keyword) and you're dead-set on getting 9.8s, then you'll want to quick press everything.

But if you don't know how to grade then a quick press wont help you since you probably gave a bunch of comics that can't get 9.8 even with a quick press. The only way to guarantee your comic comic back in a 9.8 holder is to opt for the 9.8 screening.

Well good, then I feel even less bad about reading it  :)

5 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

It wasn't. A comic is either a 9.8 or 9.9 or 10 candidate, it cannot be a candidate to more than one of those, ever.

Here are the rules:

9.8: No wear whatsoever, manufacturing imperfections allowed

9.9: No wear whatsoever, minimal manufacturing imperfections allowed

10: No wear whatsoever, no manufacturing imperfections allowed (including anything every so slightly off centre)

If you got a 9.8, then that's the highest you could have ever gotten it. 

5 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

But if you don't know how to grade then a quick press wont help you since you probably gave a bunch of comics that can't get 9.8 even with a quick press. The only way to guarantee your comic comic back in a 9.8 holder is to opt for the 9.8 screening.

Or just buy 9.8s.

Or find a pressing company that will help you along the way, by screening books for you. 

Over time you will train your eye if you really want to learn. The only way to do it is by trial and error and looking over hundreds, if not thousands of books.