• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Day The Laughter Died

52 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Then maybe it was confused. Oops.

The distinction is very important because I'd never want do anything other than :( any Jim D'Amico stealth soon to be FS at your Friendly Neighborhood Art Dealer posts should he ever come 'round these parts again :) 

32 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I have virtually never been spoken to in my face the way I have been on social media.

Definitely a problem on The Internets. Less a problem here than most, imo. I’d like to think we can handle a digital laughing face, though. And that is no knock on your good point about talking to each other politely, I just think we shouldn’t let ourselves get triggered by cartoons (Unless we are buying them! 😁).

I really was just giving an anecdote from another board, to possibly shed light.

3 minutes ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

I’d like to think we can handle a digital laughing face, though.

I would like to think so too! LOL! I can handle it when someone reacts to a joke I or someone else has made. When I lay down something serious and get that, it conveys something else entirely.

It seems as though FB and the other platforms have highlighted who people really are on the inside. It seems there are an inordinate amount of hostile cowards among us. On the other hand, there are some really awesome people as well.

By taking away a laughing emoji, it insinuates we CAN'T handle it. It's fine with me. All I need here is "Like" or "Thanks" emojis. I wouldn't object to a bug eyed emoji when someone posts a picture of their Bat 1. Or a Viking drawing his sword emoji. <"SHWING!"> L.O.L.

36 minutes ago, Bird said:

I learned of Hicks on Letterman and was stunned when I saw Leary later on. I was not aware at the time that they were friends once as well.

Apparently Leary adored Hicks. At least these days, the official story says so. I'm not so certain. The early stories I heard was Leary loved Hicks but only went to his shows. Seems a little coincidental Hicks died in 1994 and NCFC was recorded in 1992 and released in 1993. Did Bill give carte blanche to Denis? Or did Denis completely plagiarize Hicks? Did Leary know Hicks had pancreatic cancer? No one else beside his parents seemed to.

That would have been a bold move for a virtual unknown entity like Leary. Hicks was still performing in 1993. I would have thought he would have had a great deal to say about that if he had a problem with it. Instead, Hicks used his last breaths to rail against the beer industry and Letterman and Leno. Rightfully so, I believe.

At the time, I felt it was plagiarizing a dead man who tried so hard to get people to listen up and was never accepted fully in the US. In EUROPE he was. He reminded me of Luther Allison the blues guitar player. Who moved to France and was widely embraced.

There were some good bits that were obviously Leary's: "Here's some therapy for ya! Mowin' and cryin' at the same time!" At the end of it, it just felt sad. Leary went strictly commercial and the world lost a voice of reason. I don't know about anyone else, but I think strictly commercial is gruesome.

And so. We lost a visionary and he was replaced by Gwen Stacey's father and a fireman with PTSD. I think we got shafted, myself. But. The way of the world, I suppose. Mozart is languishing in a mass grave meant for paupers and criminals. That isn't right either.

I never watched the credits roll at the end of "No Cure For Cancer". It would have been nice to have a screener like "RIP Bill Hicks. 1961-1994". The world needed that voice. Look what has happened. We are now in Nazi-lite. Cancel Culture? Really? The SS were Cancel Culture. They were given a megaphone for an inch and they tried to take a mile. The entire planet.

13 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Bye bye Mr. Jack Samurai

Added a Kirby to my bid list

But the win list was dry.

Them good ol boys 

Waived the lots goodbye 

Singing 

This feels like when Superman died.

This feels like when Superman died....

:headbang: :applause::roflmao:

11 hours ago, Bill C said:

Interestingly enough- if you want comedy- "The Day the Laughter Died" is a classic Dice album. He did a second one also.

Of course.....absolutely where I got my topic header from. Dice on that album more then a comedian. A freaking philosopher! 

17 hours ago, vodou said:

No kidding. I just came off a "vacation" for a sharing a little too much #truth in that new taxation thread that popped up in Comics.

As such no lol from me any time soon. I know almost all of you are gonna get smoked hard on 1099-Ks you don't even know you're gonna get yet (er...now you do, I guess ;) )

And well...so be it :) you've only been warned for about five years by me lol already.

In all seriousness though...if you've clearing any net profits anywhere but not reporting it...get a local tax professional to look at your situation and tell you what's what. And if you're losing money...why aren't you filing the losses against income...man!

oh man, sorry I didn't mean to get you in trouble, and I didn't see anything you posted that was mod worthy but maybe I missed it. I figured you'd be amused ot see this development that probably 95% of hobbyist's that buy and sell are not aware of ....yet.

Latverian Tourism Board is on to it. I truly hope it wasn’t one of us that protested too much about hurt feelings. Our words are already used against us everywhere. But telling me to wipe that 😀off my face, or reading my mind by saying 😀 this means X. That goes to far.

Randal Ries ( Don’t remove his post) also is on to something. Unsocial media with anonymity fueling the courage behind every post certainly has emboldened uncivil discourse. Hah discourse indeed. More like trolls with closed ears and ever open poison dripping mouths sub machine gunning the sounds of their own words. 

Still this group I argue is civilized in its discourse.

I’ve always felt our group of merry posters are mostly fun loving lovers of comic art. When a post steps out of line (perception) the members can respond. We check ourselves. The more intense exchanges always dissipate into face saving draws. 

Then we get back on track talking about what we love. Art.

So take these with ya 😀😂🤣😄😆😆😀😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃

57 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

It seems there are an inordinate amount of hostile cowards among us.

Yep. Easy to spot (and shun lol ).

58 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

there are some really awesome people as well.

I'm gonna self-congratule here :) 

59 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

By taking away a laughing emoji, it insinuates we CAN'T handle it.

Sorry, it's 2021 -no losers- only...

Why Participation Trophies Are Good - Proud Money

1 hour ago, Randall Ries said:

I wouldn't object to a bug eyed emoji when someone posts a picture of their Bat 1. Or a Viking drawing his sword emoji. <"SHWING!"> L.O.L.

I want one for this:

Agenzia ANSA on Twitter: "#Brexit: monito del ministro # ...

22 minutes ago, vodou said:

Yep. Easy to spot (and shun lol ).

I'm gonna self-congratule here :) 

Sorry, it's 2021 -no losers- only...

Why Participation Trophies Are Good - Proud Money

I want one for this:

Agenzia ANSA on Twitter: "#Brexit: monito del ministro # ...

Ah! Quaint. Where would that look best? In our back yard or someone elses? Also, I thing I can see a faint image of a standing Walter White at the top of the finger. Remarkable.

55 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Of course.....absolutely where I got my topic header from. Dice on that album more then a comedian. A freaking philosopher! 

It's cool we live in a world where two people can see the same artist and get something completely opposite out of the experience.

On 3/12/2021 at 10:34 PM, grapeape said:

Thought the xD emoji was here to stay

All they did was increase the length of threads. Instead of a simple laugh reaction, there are going to be a billion reply quotes every time someone posts something funny. Annoying.