• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Tells Artist to Stay Out of NFT Business.
1 1

83 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, drotto said:

I was just going to post this.  This thing is going to blow up.  

Last week I saw a post from Artgerm on Facebook that he is going to start selling his original stuff as NFT's, nothing IP or copyrighted. I can tell you that the comments were like 3 or 4 to 1 against him doing this.  I was surprised people were that against it. Most of the negatives centered around two questions.  How does this constitute ownership when others can continue circulating images online without paying any fee or asking for the rights.  You have ownership but really no clearly established rights, and the artist retains the IP rights.  Second, many were questioning the high environmental impact that creating and maintaining NFT's entail.

Those posters were right. Once you draw it, it is copyrighted. Not registered, which effects a damages claim for infringement, but it is copyrighted by the artist. The artist can also transfer or sell all or part of that copyright. So, if he sells an NFT, he should transfer all copyright rights with it except his own personal right to duplicate ( if he wants to).