• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there any way to remove an intense ink smell from a newly printed book?

18 posts in this topic

Hi All

This is a bit off topic. I am a long time comic book collector but this has to do with a non-comic book.  The book is a reference book and i ordered it new from the publisher but has a very very intense ink smell that i am allergic to (stuffy nose, red eyes, headache, etc).   Is there any way to rid the book of this smell?.  I have read that baking soda can get rid of a mold smell (put it in an enclosed box with a lot of baking soda for a few days or a week) but this is the ink in the text, and it is entirely black ink and very very dense text.  And i am not sure even if the smell is gone that the allergic reaction will be any better, because it is the ink itself.

The book is indispensable as a reference. I don’t think i can find a replacement from another publisher with the same quality of content.

It is far more intense than a newspaper ink smell.

Are there any restoration experts that have been able to rid books of the intense new published book ink smell? 

Any services available for this type of thing?

thanks for any assistance.

19 minutes ago, dm3 said:

Hi All

This is a bit off topic. I am a long time comic book collector but this has to do with a non-comic book.  The book is a reference book and i ordered it new from the publisher but has a very very intense ink smell that i am allergic to (stuffy nose, red eyes, headache, etc).   Is there any way to rid the book of this smell?.  I have read that baking soda can get rid of a mold smell (put it in an enclosed box with a lot of baking soda for a few days or a week) but this is the ink in the text, and it is entirely black ink and very very dense text.  And i am not sure even if the smell is gone that the allergic reaction will be any better, because it is the ink itself.

The book is indispensable as a reference. I don’t think i can find a replacement from another publisher with the same quality of content.

Are there any restoration experts that have been able to rid books of the intense new published book ink smell? 

I have to admit I've never heard of anything like this before. Perhaps there's a Kindle edition..? 

35 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I have to admit I've never heard of anything like this before. Perhaps there's a Kindle edition..? 

Thanks.  I’m going to find out if they have digital.

The only comic I’ve ever had a similar issue with was Black Hole hardcover by Charles Burns.   Heavy black accents in his artwork throughout.

1 hour ago, dm3 said:

Hi All

I've never heard of this problem so I've never heard of a solution.  I have tried to remove mold smell from comics using baking soda but didn't have much luck.  Perhaps reading it outside might minimize the allergic effect and I would imagine the problem will naturally dissipate over time.  It might sound crazy but perhaps storing the book outside, slightly opened, in some kind of container that breathes but keeps the book dry might work.  

1 minute ago, Galen130 said:

Hmmm...possibly from a st(ink) tree?? :ohnoez:

It could be Galen, yes.

We have the Four Color process. Maybe this is a derivative - the Fork Me What's That Smell process. 

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

It could be Galen, yes.

We have the Four Color process. Maybe this is a derivative - the Fork Me What's That Smell process. 

Geez,  I should've guess.  :facepalm:

duh.png

14 hours ago, dm3 said:

Hi All

Which book are you...trying to forge...err I mean buy recently that smells?

Ozone generator. Put it in a small, enclosed space along with the book. If condition isn't a concern, just flip the book upside down and keep the covers spread so all the pages fan out. Ozone generators are also great for removing smoke odors from your car. It's not a good idea to breathe the stuff though, so make sure no one is around if you decide to use one to treat your book. Just set it and forget it. 

I prefer activated charcoal to baking soda, but I wouldn't apply it directly to the paper for obvious reasons. Baking soda probably won't do much, but you can try it. The mess sounds like a PITA though. 

Not sure that these are ideal, but it's your best shot. I've never tried any of these methods to remove odors from books, so proceed with that in mind. 

Here is the generator I got to remove smells: 

Ozone

if you try the Ozone machine, make sure that it's positioned higher than the book. Ozone will grab the smelly stuff and float towards the floor. It's heavier than the air we breathe. 

Here is a product I found. They state very directly on their FAQ page that their product will remove the new ink smell from books. 

I've never used this product. 

Try this???

Thanks @newshane

The ozone machine doesn’t ship to my area.  I guess it’s state regulation.   Regarding the odor absorbing bag, I might try this.  I’m going to try leaving the book outside in the sun for a while (not something you’d want to do with a comic book ;) )