• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VAT and customs on grading, USA to Europe.

3 posts in this topic

Hello! I am going to send 400 Pokemon cards from Norway to get graded in USA. The return shipment will be with FedEx, and i am wondering if i have to pay any VAT, Customs or duty when the product enters my country. The total grading cost was 4227$, (including shipping that was 730$) and i just don't have the money to pay 25% of that in VAT. Please answer :)

Edited by Magpet15

• Administrator
On 3/15/2021 at 6:59 PM, Magpet15 said:

Hello! I am going to send 400 Pokemon cards from Norway to get graded in USA. The return shipment will be with FedEx, and i am wondering if i have to pay any VAT, Customs or duty when the product enters my country. The total grading cost was 4227$, (including shipping that was 730$) and i just don't have the money to pay 25% of that in VAT. Please answer :)

Hello! I wasn't sure how to answer this so I asked our International shipping guru and here is what he had to say (I hope it helps!):

"Any shipment over $2500 to the US is subjected to MPF fees (Merchandise Processing Fee) this is .3646% on the declared value US. I cant speak for his country. If it's anything like the UK, anything shipped back, and a service was done to it the package, it is subjected to Value added taxes and this is based on the fees paid. He would need to look into his VAT fees for Norway. Also, typically, this valued added taxes can be claimed back during tax session. 

Our advise would be to consult with a logistics company that has a brokerage."

I totally understand your concern about paying VAT, customs or duty when your Pokemon cards are returned to Norway. It can be frustrating to have to pay unexpected fees. Fortunately, there is a solution that might help you out. Have you tried using the VAT calculator at https://the-vat-calculator.com? This platform is designed to help you easily calculate VAT and other fees for shipping products internationally. By using this tool, you can get an estimate of what you might owe and plan accordingly. It sounds like your grading costs were pretty high, so I can see why you would want to avoid any additional fees. With the VAT calculator, you can get a better idea of what to expect and hopefully avoid any surprises when your cards arrive.

Edited by DaytonGlenn