• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Pre-Code Horror undervalued?
3 3

65 posts in this topic

I thought that it’s been a general growth area for several years now.

Far pricier than it used to be, though a primary focus has been on classic, gory covers.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I'm more worried that they're overpriced and that I've paid too much for a few recently hahaha 

But seriously, prices on some books have doubled and tripled just in the past 6 months. They may have been undervalued at one point but they are certainly catching up quickly

I'm not sure that there's any segment of the hobby that is undervalued...this does not mean that current pricing can't continue to escalate but that does not necessarily equate to being undervalued...

1 hour ago, Nic8612 said:

I'm more worried that they're overpriced and that I've paid too much for a few recently hahaha 

But seriously, prices on some books have doubled and tripled just in the past 6 months. They may have been undervalued at one point but they are certainly catching up quickly

You could have said this 5, 10 15, 20, 30..you get the point...years ago..it's just been an acceleration like we have not seen before with cheap money floating around....there will be a reckoning

1 hour ago, Funnybooks said:

I'm not sure that there's any segment of the hobby that is undervalued...this does not mean that current pricing can't continue to escalate but that does not necessarily equate to being undervalued...

You could have said this 5, 10 15, 20, 30..you get the point...years ago..it's just been an acceleration like we have not seen before with cheap money floating around....there will be a reckoning

Yea that's my point. I guess I just dont do words good. I've been picking up books faster than I ever have because I see prices rising quickly on everything across the board. Though some books have gone up enough that I don't feel comfortable paying their current market rates to try to obtain them because of my fear of a market correction

6 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

If we only had a crystal ball or a DeLorean...I look at collectibles like any non-essential expense...cup of cofee, pack of smokes, a daily donut or a vacation...you'll spend money on some consumable that gives you a moment of pleasure but what's left is gone but an instant form of gratification or a memory...you spend the money nonetheless, knowing that it's a "cost" that you can never recoup...I'll buy a comic book for the same type of gratification and regardless if it goes up or down, I still get the enjoyment of collecting/owning the books until the day comes that I sell/trade the book for some other form of enjoyment...spend within your means and you'll have more enjoyment in the hobby...

That's true. For the rich, there's only so many places to put money. But there's tons of new entrance in which is good. I wonder if some of the mega keys have multiplied because of oligopoly ownership which is not innately bad but it takes away power of the people. ECs arent those cheap within pre-code especially sci fi? Look at planets in high grade now and before I start riot, sci fi is not the same as horror but there is carry over

18 minutes ago, Nic8612 said:

Yea that's my point. I guess I just dont do words good. I've been picking up books faster than I ever have because I see prices rising quickly on everything across the board. Though some books have gone up enough that I don't feel comfortable paying their current market rates to try to obtain them because of my fear of a market correction

That's a full circle of events though: Prices go up, you buy BECAUSE prices are gonna go up. Why does this market keep going up? there's most of the the non-comic investment factors but these seem to accelerate faster

29 minutes ago, dylanthekid said:

That's true. For the rich, there's only so many places to put money. But there's tons of new entrance in which is good. I wonder if some of the mega keys have multiplied because of oligopoly ownership which is not innately bad but it takes away power of the people. ECs arent those cheap within pre-code especially sci fi? Look at planets in high grade now and before I start riot, sci fi is not the same as horror but there is carry over

Agreed...but, EC's are relatively cheap due to supply and demand...books are "easily" obtainable along all grades...

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Sometimes it pays to be a geezer. I bought 80% of mine in the early to mid 1970’s. PCH (other than ECs), were under tables unbagged for a buck apiece. Maybe $4-5 bucks top on the table. $10-20 were WAY over priced. 

In those days, Timelys were hot. I bought Nedors cheap. DCs were hot so I bought MLJ, Ace, Chessler and other odd ball publishers cheap. 

Prices now are crazy! 

Blueprint to success

5 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Agreed...but, EC's are relatively cheap due to supply and demand...books are "easily" obtainable along all grades...

EC prices are getting real aggressive these days. Was looking at a common sci-fi issue on the bay recently. A year ago would have gone for $175-200. It went for $560. In spite of most of them being pretty common.

Back in the early 1970’s, Weird Tales of the Future and Weird Mysteries were $1-3 but Crypt, Haunt and Vault were $5-7...

17 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Sometimes it pays to be a geezer. I bought 80% of mine in the early to mid 1970’s. PCH (other than ECs), were under tables unbagged for a buck apiece. Maybe $4-5 bucks top on the table. $10-20 were WAY over priced. 

In those days, Timelys were hot. I bought Nedors cheap. DCs were hot so I bought MLJ, Ace, Chessler and other odd ball publishers cheap. 

Prices now are crazy! 

And for $20 in the early 70s you could have gotten an ASM 1....

13 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Blueprint to success

I simply bought what I liked and got the most for my money. If you do that you really can’t go wrong. I never thought these books would be worth anything close to what they are now and didn’t really care. 

No. It is pretty expensive. It is often hard to get even a beater of a third tier title for $50. Some of the pre-hero, but post-code Marvel monster books are not too bad, but many are surprisingly "common," as an there always seem to be 5-10 copies of a given issue for sale.