• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How are you coping?
4 4

103 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, greggy said:

Correct

People always dwell on what they have sold but don't focus on what that sale contributed to your current collection.

I graded and sold a ton of high grade Marvel Bronze keys in or around 2003-2005 but I parlayed it into my collection that I have now.

It's like those people who say that Chuck should have kept the Mile High collection keys to himself but the funds wouldn't have been available for him to use to expand his business...etc

I don't focus on anything that I've sold cuz in the long run, it's history. 

:whatthe: So many words.  I don't think you've written this much since 2002.

7 minutes ago, xvipah said:

I literally finished selling off all my loose cards about 3 weeks ago. Went to my local LCS and bulk sold a box or 2. All the big stuff had been sold already. Except one, for some reason I had a Gate of Phyrexia sitting in a box here. So I sent it in to get graded, see what that was all about. Waiting on it to get back. :) I mean, it's no Mox or Lotus, but I am interested to see how card grading works, etc...

I've sent off a box of Magic cards to CardKingdom in Seattle.  Online reviews were quite kind.  You can click through and see what they pay for each card and choose what to send.  So far I've held back my best cards and I've mostly sent cheaper cards and lots of uncommons and commons.  I know my cards aren't mint as I played with them a ton and many have been sitting in boxes with out sleeves for years but it should add up.

I sold a high grade JIM run ( 83-110, all 6.0  white pages or higher but ungraded) in 2010 to pay for my wife’s graduate school expenses and live in the city with a cushion. For $5,000. which was very nice at the time  for raw. The 83 was around  a cgc 6-7 but very white pages.  At the same time I also had to sell a complete pack fresh magic the gathering Antiquities set for $1000, and a bgs 8.5 1st edition Charizard base for $800. 

At the time it was decent money and a nice roi for my time and investment. The funds helped get us through school. The MCU was taking off and magic the gathering was picking up steam yet I never could have predicted or imagined the YouTube Fomo culture or Pokémon go craze. 

what keeps me from going crazy is the love of my wife and children. I couldn’t have provided for them without constantly making moves in this hobby 🙂.

Cheers and good luck

9 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

So a while back (perhaps years ago) you had that key comic that you sold off, happy in the knowledge you were pocketing a few dollars that you could put towards something else that caught your fancy.

Now once in a while you're reminded what a mistake that was.  You see that the price of your former comic has gone to the moon.

How badly does it annoy you?  And if it doesn't, tell me your secret.

I traded these books for an Xmen 1 5.5. And the NM 98 got sold for 2.5k and the trade was like 3 weeks ago (give or take) a 1.4k profit

20210211_183049.jpg

20210211_183108.jpg

20210211_183130.jpg

20210211_183033.jpg

20210211_182656.jpg

20210211_183002.jpg

20210211_182939.jpg

20210211_182911.jpg

20210211_182832.jpg

20210211_182754.jpg

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

You traded all the books pictured for a 5.5 X-men 1? What’s the going rate for a 5.5 X 1?

Oh I tossed in some cash, but I'd say around 13-15k. One is up for auction on comic link right now and it's at 13.1 k with about a week of monotony left

6 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Oh I tossed in some cash, but I'd say around 13-15k. One is up for auction on comic link right now and it's at 13.1 k with about a week of monotony left

Looking back, does it seem like a fair trade? I'm just curious, and understand that sometimes you have to give a bit more to get a grail book.

Using a fantasy sports analogy, its like trading two bench players for a starter...

1 minute ago, silverseeker said:

Looking back, does it seem like a fair trade? I'm just curious, and understand that sometimes you have to give a bit more to get a grail book.

Using a fantasy sports analogy, its like trading two bench players for a starter...

Money for money it was a fair trade....in the long haul I hope the X-Men 1 wins...it's hard to say.

But the players I traded were starters too, just not on the Yankees and not batting .400

14 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I traded these books for an Xmen 1 5.5. And the NM 98 got sold for 2.5k and the trade was like 3 weeks ago (give or take) a 1.4k profit

20210211_183049.jpg

20210211_183108.jpg

20210211_183130.jpg

20210211_183033.jpg

20210211_182656.jpg

20210211_183002.jpg

20210211_182939.jpg

20210211_182911.jpg

20210211_182832.jpg

20210211_182754.jpg

I had to do the math.  Looks like you're ahead at the moment.

If you want to go down this road, there's way worse stuff out there.  I had some Gamestop when it was just picking up steam back in the 20-30s or so a couple months ago.  Sold at a nominal gain.  Weeks later it went to 500.  Even H181 and Giant Size X #1 don't get you 25x your money in 2 weeks.  Hindsight is perfect.  With stocks and with collectibles, I have almost always sold too early and missed out.  But you gotta just get comfortable with making the best decision you can at the time and living with it.

My only real regret is selling my childhood collection when I was like 15 for peanuts.  Not because I missed out on financial gains, but because of the sentimental value.  I'd pay way above market just to see what was in my old boxes again.  But I've sold plenty of stuff, on these very forums, that now, 6-12 months later is worth substantially more.  Fine with that.

3 hours ago, JazzMan said:

I had to do the math.  Looks like you're ahead at the moment.

The question is, value aside, which brings greater enjoyment?  An S tier book (to use the SABCD Tier system)?  Or a bunch of A+B tier books?

Each person will answer differently, but I don't think I could possibly trade my 10 most valuable books for an AF15 because those 10 books bring me joy as well.

2 books i regret not having currently one sale / one trade. 

incredible hulk #1 probably a 1.5 condition for $1200 about 5 years ago and a trade  werewolf by night 32 prob 9.4+ for a 6.0 condition and $200 cash from a fellow collector. still regret both of these. 

Edited by anstettoman

When I got back into collecting, around 2007, I would have flashbacks of the collection my dad and I had amassed since 1962 and was long gone. 

Always been a collector and never sold individual comics or paid big prices. But back in January I sold over 3000 of, mainly, drek and used it to buy a GSXM1. Trying not to look at the prices of some of the smaller keys I sold. They're gone now. 

Funny books and money comes and goes. Far more important things to worry about.