• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is storing slabs upright a must?
2 2

30 posts in this topic

BTW , yes I've searched for this topic and found very little..a couple of opinions expressed in the midst of other topics.

It seems that  since graded comics  are slabbed in hard plastic case you can store them flat or on side or upright. Right?or wrong?

All boxes for graded comic storage seem to assume upright. I have some unused boxes that they fit in well on side, can it hurt? What about flat storage?

Thanks.

I typically store my slabs spine-down because I believe that to be the most defensible from an archival standpoint. That said, flat stackable storage probably isn't a problem in most circumstances and the slabs have been designed with this in mind. I would personally avoid storing slabs in either upright orientation (spine at one side) or especially spine up (but who does this??) as these configurations place greater stress on the staples than the other choices. All told, it likely only really matters for books with detached or detaching staples, with weaker paper (out of safety, I'd consider all GA books to count), or with nonstandard bindings (threaded bindings, single-staple books).

9 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I was told once by people on these boards that stacking them would create unecessary pressure to the bottom slabs and possibly harm them due to all that weight atop them.

I remember hearing this as well, but I can't imagine how 10 slabs are going to damage the bottom book.  They're not particularly heavy.

Also, why can't someone out there design a CGC tower akin to the old CD/DVD towers.  I know the labels would be face down in order to read the top of the label, but I feel like it would present very nicely if built with a wood frame design.

312-4-cd-dvd.jpg

12 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I was told once by people on these boards that stacking them would create unecessary pressure to the bottom slabs and possibly harm them due to all that weight atop them.

Well, you know, there's stacking and then there's stacking. If you've got five or even maybe a dozen slabs stacked horizontally, that's not the ideal archival configuration, but I wouldn't expect the slab weight to cause plastic deformation in the bottom slab. On the other hand, if you've got a custom-built tower so that you can stack your entire slabbed run of Detective Comics v1 #1-#881 (with or without variants, honestly), well, then you're in for a bad time. Somewhere in between there is the threshold where it's not a great idea.

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I remember hearing this as well, but I can't imagine how 10 slabs are going to damage the bottom book.  They're not particularly heavy.

Also, why can't someone out there design a CGC tower akin to the old CD/DVD towers.  I know the labels would be face down in order to read the top of the label, but I feel like it would present very nicely if built with a wood frame design.

312-4-cd-dvd.jpg

I really like this idea. See what you have quickly, easier access. I hate hiding mine in a box with a lid on it.

If you build it, I will buy it. :)

3 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

312-4-cd-dvd.jpg

On a side note. The plastic bins, like the pic I posted above, come with 1 hard plastic divider you can put in to separate the slabs. They also sell packs of 4 or 5. So, using those you can keep the amount of slabs you are stacking up down to 4 or 5 at a time. It's a nice system.