• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trimmed but not considered restored?
3 3

22 posts in this topic

• Administrator
13 hours ago, Dan Connoy said:

This listing kind of threw me....why is this not considered restored? Thanks

IM55.PNG

Hi there! This is definitely a mistake on our part and it should have a Restored label. Is this your book or someone else's? 

45 minutes ago, Muno42 said:

Is it possible that it is a manufacturing defect? What does the bottom of the cover look like?

But then that would likely be a miscut? 'Trimmed' implies an intentional action on the book took place after printing. I've never seen that before. Looks like the book was graded in October of 2016.

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

It's a mistake...  :gossip:

Exactly, @The Lions Den.  My only conclusion is that people somehow can't SEE the 2nd post where the CGC admin declares it a mistake, should be a restored label. 

Not reading for comprehension, or "don't let the facts get in the way of your wrong opinion".

1 hour ago, Lightning55 said:

Exactly, @The Lions Den.  My only conclusion is that people somehow can't SEE the 2nd post where the CGC admin declares it a mistake, should be a restored label. 

Not reading for comprehension, or "don't let the facts get in the way of your wrong opinion".

Well said. Why let pesky reading get in the way?

1 hour ago, Dan Connoy said:

What puzzles me is why someone would want a book that presents so poorly. There must be other books in that grade to get.

Edit: Upon eBay perusal, we find 8.0 blue labels get around $1000. 8.5 around $1300+. So, perhaps $900 for an 8.5 trimmed IS restored price.

Edited by Randall Ries

Yeah...interesting.

Looking at some other CGC graded copies, it appears that this particular book often suffers from a slight miscut at the top edge. So it's not out of the question that the copy you've shown here just suffers from the same flaw in a slightly more severe fashion. As we can see by looking at bottom edge of the book, it would seem to support this theory.

This makes me wonder which mistake CGC actually made..?  

7 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Yeah...interesting.

Looking at some other CGC graded copies, it appears that this particular book often suffers from a slight miscut at the top edge. So it's not out of the question that the copy you've shown here just suffers from the same flaw in a slightly more severe fashion. As we can see by looking at bottom edge of the book, it would seem to support this theory.

This makes me wonder which mistake CGC actually made..?  

Maybe they were splitting the difference. Couldn't really ascertain whether it was an owner trim or a factory trim. Judging by the space along the bottom edge, they all seem to have around a half/3/4ths of an inch between the bottom edge of the cover and the word bar. If you see what I mean. Perhaps though, the book itself measured out to be what it is suppose to be. Don't know. Don't really care. The book of subject looks lousy.

59 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Maybe they were splitting the difference. Couldn't really ascertain whether it was an owner trim or a factory trim. Judging by the space along the bottom edge, they all seem to have around a half/3/4ths of an inch between the bottom edge of the cover and the word bar. If you see what I mean. Perhaps though, the book itself measured out to be what it is suppose to be. Don't know. Don't really care. The book of subject looks lousy.

One thing I've seen is that a book with this severe of a miscut will usually receive some type of downgrade. But if the book was trimmed after manufacturing, it certainly should have received a purple label. It's a bit of a head-scratcher, that's for sure.

I hope the buyer is happy with it...  

59 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I hope the buyer is happy with it...  

Me too. I might have gone another $300-$400 and got me a different copy, though. No way I could look at that like a red headed step child.

"HEY! Heard ya bought an IM 55 in 8.5! Neat! Kinnai see it?"
"No."
"Why?"
"'Cause I said! Leemee 'lone!"

39 minutes ago, manofsteel said:

Here’s another. I thought trimmed was no longer considered restored. eBay seller is asking 3250 for it. Def not a restored price. Too bad it’s trimmed, cuz I love the book.

C6A648E9-F6F4-4221-8AE5-87688A150C07.thumb.jpeg.6affd0437fbe2457e76ddca5ee253445.jpeg

"Superman" had some really weird covers. Why is the "wife" holding a heavy picnic basket outside of the car when she appears to be the only person in the back seat? And I could see maybe ONE tire completely missing off the rim, but all 4? Did "Pop" drive through a volcano? This is before Superman could fly as well. Is he running with the car over his head?

1 hour ago, manofsteel said:

Here’s another. I thought trimmed was no longer considered restored. eBay seller is asking 3250 for it. Def not a restored price. Too bad it’s trimmed, cuz I love the book.

C6A648E9-F6F4-4221-8AE5-87688A150C07.thumb.jpeg.6affd0437fbe2457e76ddca5ee253445.jpeg

CGC has been known to make purple label exceptions for GA books. You'll find GA books with colour touch also get a blue label and it not being a mistake.

On 3/17/2021 at 8:21 PM, Dan Connoy said:

Hello,

Not my book. I was just watching it on ebay last night....went for over $900.00!!

That is not a restored price 

It is a restored price these days.

On 3/22/2021 at 8:05 PM, manofsteel said:

Every book I have seen that is identified as trimmed has a label note that states which edge of the cover is trimmed. Is that no longer happening?

Edited by mysterio