• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inflation Drives Art to Record Prices

91 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

The fact that he labeled the other card as a fake suggests to me he thinks he sold you a real card.

It suggests to me that he is using the disclosure of a fake that everybody knows and is on high alert about as cover for selling fakes that no one as yet knows about. 

6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

It suggests to me that he is using the disclosure of a fake that everybody knows and is on high alert about as cover for selling fakes that no one as yet knows about. 

BINGO (thumbsu This kind of s#!+makes me wanna go Harry Callahan on these fools Magum Force extra dirty style.

7 hours ago, delekkerste said:

...unless, he thinks it’s a fake, but it’s real! Hoo ha!

7 hours ago, delekkerste said:
7 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

The fact that he labeled the other card as a fake suggests to me he thinks he sold you a real card.

So people will buy cards that are clearly labeled as fakes?

Let me know, because I've got the printer and the cardboard stock ready to go! 

On 12/11/2020 at 5:05 AM, stinkininkin said:

Derailing the thread a bit, I saw some postings from Krazy Kat above, who I think was a regular on this message board and on his way out just as I was starting up here. He was an uber-bull on OA if I recall? Haven't gone back and searched his old posts, but recall that he was considered a bit of a nutter who got a lot of push back, and I wonder if his views might look more sober with the reflection of time and the current state of the hobby? Anybody from ye olden days remember if I have that about right?

I think Krazy was a perfect illustration that you might have a legitimate message, but if you deliver it in a completely dooshy style, your message will be tuned out.

I don't know if that means the moral of the story is don't be a doosh or listen carefully to dooshes.

9 hours ago, tth2 said:

So people will buy cards that are clearly labeled as fakes?

Let me know, because I've got the printer and the cardboard stock ready to go! 

If someone offers to sell something that he labels as fake, but also offers to sell something which is not labeled fake, I think there is a natural inclination to think that anyone who would label another one of their products as fake must be honest as to the one which he does not comment about. But honesty doesn’t mean he can’t be stupid. He may think the one not marked fake is real when it isn’t.

And yes, there is a market for fakes known to be fakes. 

On 12/11/2020 at 8:35 PM, tth2 said:

I think Krazy was a perfect illustration that you might have a legitimate message, but if you deliver it in a completely dooshy style, your message will be tuned out.

I don't know if that means the moral of the story is don't be a doosh or listen carefully to dooshes.

Well, let's also not forget the other part of Krazy's message was straight out of ZeroHedge, whereby stocks and other financial assets would plummet, real estate (not a hard asset according to him because of the debt supporting it) would tank, and that we'd be wheeling around worthless wheelbarrows full of cash to pay for stuff. :ohnoez: 

18 hours ago, Peter G said:

55/45 LR centering, fills the PSA edge to edge so no real trim fear, and so damn pack fresh looking.

Wonder what war breaks out when this hits the block (image might be altered though, no way it’s that clean a white).09FF2719-31E7-4CDA-B1FE-FDBAFD3A83DF.jpeg.e14bcc9fa59a9b34218bec63a4e42aec.jpeg

On 10/12/2020 at 12:48 PM, Peter G said:

I get that it’s a 10 designation and therefore rare (maybe even 1 of a kind) but I do not get excited about graded collectibles nowadays. There is a similar discussion taking place right now in the Golden Age forum about buying the book and not the label but personally I would rather just stay away from all of these collectibles that derive their value because of the grade/condition. Too much fraud, restoration, and conflicts of interest from the grading companies. 

I just had this internal debate when purchasing Detective Comics 359 for my collection. I only had the money for a mid grade book. I had a handful of 4.5 - 6 CGC copies being offered and I actually chose a 5.0 that I felt was a genuinely nicer overall book than the 5.5's, and significantly cheaper than the 6.0.

I bought the book not the grade and since it was for my private collection I really couldn't be happier.

GameStop today was interesting. I’m figuring lots of Wall Streeters finally receiving some karmic consequences. 

The synthetic dog has been wagging the real dog for too long. (I’m not even sure there is a real dog anymore) 

inflation or short squeeze ... something big is coming !

1 hour ago, RBerman said:

The Gamestop/AMC prank, allegedly intended to punish short-sellers, seems like a golden opportunity to engage in short-selling now that the stock values are so far away from the value of the companies in question.

It’s only a matter of time until these merry pranksters target the weak underbelly of the entire fiat system - SLV