• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inflation Drives Art to Record Prices

91 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, vodou said:

There are occasional cherries to pluck ;)

Yea, I just picked up a Gray Morrow Spectre page for $134 with all the fees so I was pumped for that. There's some good stuff coming this week and I hope a few can go unnoticed so I can get them at a reasonable price to me 

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Title is killing me. Where is the inflation?  Should be “Feds fear of deflation drives art to record prices “. 

I think the title is correct. Deflation means the value of money increases because you need to use less of it to buy the same goods and services (excluding price reductions due to improvements in technology*). Currently, the Fed (as well as government spending) is pumping up the money supply, so, you need more of it to buy the same goods and services. That’s inflation.

*A primary reason why some inflation is okay. It keeps everything on an even keel.

29 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

*A primary reason why some inflation is okay. It keeps everything on an even keel.

I'd say "the free market resolves all price inequalities, IF no fiat intervention". Big IF.

Loose monetary policy means: liquidity; for us here that means dealers can buy more new inventory and hold out for higher prices on existing inventory. They are sheltered from free market reality.

Edited by vodou
typo

4 hours ago, vodou said:

I'd say "the free market resolves all price inequalities, IF no fiat intervention". Big IF.

Loose monetary policy means: liquidity; for us here that means dealers can buy more new inventory and hold out for higher prices on existing inventory. They are sheltered from free market reality.

But if everyone’s income is rising, due to inflation, the real dollar value of the art doesn’t change. The question is whether particular pieces rise and fall with inflation, or more/less than inflation. 

15 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

But if everyone’s income is rising, due to inflation, the real dollar value of the art doesn’t change. The question is whether particular pieces rise and fall with inflation, or more/less than inflation. 

Gross oversimplification. Of those that had income in 2019, not all do in 2021, that alone kills "everyone's...rising" without even getting into disparate rates of change and access to liquidity spigot. We should drop this, next post by one or the other of us will get into that bad P area, without even meaning to, goes hand in hand with economics...since there is no such thing as a free market, to begin with.

6 hours ago, vodou said:

Gross oversimplification. Of those that had income in 2019, not all do in 2021, that alone kills "everyone's...rising" without even getting into disparate rates of change and access to liquidity spigot. We should drop this, next post by one or the other of us will get into that bad P area, without even meaning to, goes hand in hand with economics...since there is no such thing as a free market, to begin with.

This isn’t politics, and of course it’s an oversimplification. I was just trying to explain a basic recognized and admitted policy of the Federal Reserve for decades as to why it likes a little inflation.