• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the 2nd appearance of Judo Master?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

Some of the stuff uncovered about Sarge Steel #6 is very interesting. Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help. I think I'll definitely be picking up a copy of this book now if I can find it. (thumbsu

12 hours ago, Prince Namor said:

According to Mike’s Amazing World of Comics - who’s thorough research uses everything from date stamps to the Library of Congress to figure these things out - SS6 came out in September and SWS4 came out in November. 
Not cover dates - but actual release dates. 
The difference here is he has the release dates listed as ‘Approximate’, which means that verified info may be limited. 

B431EFD1-5326-47AE-8E32-05598B21E0DA.jpeg

3E4D80B2-AEFB-4215-85C0-7E67EF5F6FBD.jpeg

Mike's website is a great resource and I refer to it often in my own research. I've found the Charlton data to be less robust than, for example, the Marvel data however and the 'approximate' element devalues the reliability somewhat I feel.

If we take the available facts in isolation, both SWS#4 and SS#6 have printed November cover and indicia dates. SS#6 makes reference to the availability of SWS#4 to its readership 'now'. That doesn't prove that they were available concurrently on the newsstand but it strongly suggests that that was the intention - why flag a book to your readers that would not be available for another two months? (hardly the teaser of the century is it!)

ss6.thumb.PNG.8a9ee1da40a439b5fb923e25cf01c2dd.PNG

sws4.thumb.PNG.b843991c0d5cce37d743d9d8fbe0aef1.PNG

In the absence of documentary solicitation records therefore, the only additional anecdotal evidence we can look to are personal recollections - and we know how faulty they can be after 55 years - articles in industry magazines / fanzines of the time, and cover date stamps. In my own Charlton research I have found instances where cover date stamps precede the 'on sale' dates on Mike's site. And I have found numerous errors on the site. That is not meant to sound critical - no one could produce a body of data that large without an error or two creeping in. I'm just noting a word of caution as to the use of the data as 'proof' unless there is something key here that I have missed.

Returning to the 'approximate' on sale dates, one is September the 1st, the other November the 1st - two months apart. If there was a one month margin of error, and one was a month too early and the other late, all of a sudden they have the same on sale date.

So for me, I don't currently see enough evidence to say one way or the other which came first. That's not to say that it doesn't exist of course, somewhere - it's just not posted here directly in this thread. Out of interest now, I'm off to look for date stamps.  What else can we do on a wet Thursday morning in Blighty :bigsmile:

6 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Mike's website is a great resource and I refer to it often in my own research. I've found the Charlton data to be less robust than, for example, the Marvel data however and the 'approximate' element devalues the reliability somewhat I feel.

If we take the available facts in isolation, both SWS#4 and SS#6 have printed November cover and indicia dates. SS#6 makes reference to the availability of SWS#4 to its readership 'now'. That doesn't prove that they were available concurrently on the newsstand but it strongly suggests that that was the intention - why flag a book to your readers that would not be available for another two months? (hardly the teaser of the century is it!)

Well, we've both seen examples of book's advertised that never even came out, so you never know....

sws4.thumb.PNG.b843991c0d5cce37d743d9d8fbe0aef1.PNG

Is that a date stamp at the bottom of the SWS page?

In the absence of documentary solicitation records therefore, the only additional anecdotal evidence we can look to are personal recollections - and we know how faulty they can be after 55 years - articles in industry magazines / fanzines of the time, and cover date stamps. In my own Charlton research I have found instances where cover date stamps precede the 'on sale' dates on Mike's site. And I have found numerous errors on the site. That is not meant to sound critical - no one could produce a body of data that large without an error or two creeping in. I'm just noting a word of caution as to the use of the data as 'proof' unless there is something key here that I have missed.

I would never use it as an example of 100% definitive. Not sure what errors you've found, but I see a level of OCDness to his site that seems more specific in it's information than comics.org. But yeah, I'd never consider any of these as 100% definitive.

Returning to the 'approximate' on sale dates, one is September the 1st, the other November the 1st - two months apart. If there was a one month margin of error, and one was a month too early and the other late, all of a sudden they have the same on sale date.

Cover dates of course don't really hold much meaning.

So for me, I don't currently see enough evidence to say one way or the other which came first. That's not to say that it doesn't exist of course, somewhere - it's just not posted here directly in this thread. Out of interest now, I'm off to look for date stamps.  What else can we do on a wet Thursday morning in Blighty :bigsmile:

And you've already found one!

Edited by Prince Namor

2 minutes ago, Prince Namor said:

Is that a date stamp at the bottom of the SWS page?

Could be - bit late though, 1966, no?

2 minutes ago, Prince Namor said:

What a great find! If you don't mind I'd like to e-mail this to Mike.

Sure, I just plucked it off the bay. 

I find all this fascinating myself so will be interested to see if any more cover dates materialise. I'll look every so often, see what turns up. 

1 minute ago, Prince Namor said:

That's some exceptional detective work.

It's a start - one example of each book. Just time and patience really. It would be nice to find a few more examples with the same dates, and see a date pattern emerge. I'll keep looking. I'm looking at Charlton all the time anyway, so it's no bother. 

8 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

8/17 is a Tuesday

8/23 is a Monday

When would stores get comics back in the 60s?

I don't know JazzMan. Even if there was a regular day though, that wouldn't automatically mean that every seller would stamp their books on that day. Might've been sick on the 16th, if you know what I mean. Lots of potential reasons for different dates being applied, outlet to outlet. The more examples we find, the more any potential sequencing pattern can stand up.

6 hours ago, JazzMan said:

8/17 is a Tuesday

8/23 is a Monday

When would stores get comics back in the 60s?

Whenever the distributor brought them.

Publishers had official release dates for their comics, but even those weren't on any regular day of the week.

Also, date stamps are extremely unreliable and inconsistent.