• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does CGC need another “status” prior to RECIEVED?

39 posts in this topic

So you ship your books or your customers books to CGC and tracking shows by USPS “delivered “ and also “picked up”. However there is a long time not reflected in the current turnaround times. I think people want to know that they items are somewhat safe and not have to assume so. 

PSA if you ever had cards graded has developed a system where you can type in the tracking number on their page and it will tell you that they actually have the box you shipped to them in hand. PSA is also been super overwhelmed with orders but offers their customer a bit of relief until they can actually log in the order into their system. CGC needs to adopt this type of system. I think and so does my anxious customer who I have to calm down as the books we just sent remain in limbo SOMEWHERE?

@Ryan. I’m ok with between received and delivered, it’s the time sequence after the Usps has did their job “delivered” and the days and weeks where you can’t account for your books causing calls into CGC to get answers. My customer wants me to call tomorrow and get answers to where his books are.

5 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

@Ryan. I’m ok with between received and delivered, it’s the time sequence after the Usps has did their job “delivered” and the days and weeks where you can’t account for your books causing calls into CGC to get answers. My customer wants me to call tomorrow and get answers to where his books are.

They've been taking up to six weeks to open packages, which is absurd. They have a clear scalability problem that can only be solved by hiring more people, which I know they are doing. I don't get the impression that they pay particularly high wages but, as companies grow, it's not often as simple as just hiring more hands; usually maturing companies hire people with backgrounds in process efficiency and pay them accordingly. For now, they are in a bad spot as far as meeting customer expectations yet they are churning out business more than ever. Maybe that will come around and bite them or maybe we will all get used to sending books down to Florida and knowing we won't see them for many months. 

It' an obviously disingenuous manipulation of the process for CGC process for multiple reasons. 

1. CGC pays insurance based on what they house at any given moment, with the high volume of submissions these days it wouldn't surprise me if they're hitting their ceiling (if there is on) or if they're bumping up against a threshold that would push them to a new higher insurance class and cost. Thus they leave the books at the USPS (I assume the packages are not being "picked up" from the PO and that they've got sufficient space at the PO docs to have the packages secure, but not received). But to this end, the question is, if the books are "delivered" (as in USPS has finished it's job) are they still insured? Like if something happens to them before CGC picks them up are the submitters still dealing with USPS to get reimbursed? Or are they dealing with CGC and their insurance? And if they are actually receiving them and there in some pre-receipt holding space at CGC, are they covered by CGC's insurance? 

2. Turnaround times. This is OBVIOUSLY being done (holding off "receiving" books) to delay the start of a submissions "turnaround time" since they publish those times. I have no doubt internally they are aware of their timing from actual delivery to return, and have a sense of how big the backlog/stack is in their "pre-received holding pile" 

I think an answer to #1 is critical, and CGC needs to address it. Who is insuring the package before CGC "receives" it, and where is the package during that time? 

26 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

1. CGC pays insurance based on what they house at any given moment, with the high volume of submissions these days it wouldn't surprise me if they're hitting their ceiling (if there is on) or if they're bumping up against a threshold that would push them to a new higher insurance class and cost. Thus they leave the books at the USPS (I assume the packages are not being "picked up" from the PO and that they've got sufficient space at the PO docs to have the packages secure, but not received). But to this end, the question is, if the books are "delivered" (as in USPS has finished it's job) are they still insured? Like if something happens to them before CGC picks them up are the submitters still dealing with USPS to get reimbursed? Or are they dealing with CGC and their insurance? And if they are actually receiving them and there in some pre-receipt holding space at CGC, are they covered by CGC's insurance? 

I can't imagine that USPS would be OK with CGC leaving MANY packages at USPS and asking USPS to find storage space for them. If these packages are stored on USPS property, USPS would liable for any damage. I would assume that USPS would want to get the packages off their property ASAP. I believe that these packages aren't delivered directly to CGC, as they are shipped to a PO Box. My guess is that CGC is required to pick up the packages on a daily basis, probably at USPS's insistence. If that is the case and the packages are stored on CGC property, I would think that CGC would be liable for any damages.

Imagine this scenario. You take your car to your mechanic. Your mechanic is so busy that s/he won't be able to work on it for a few days. Before the mechanic works on your car, his/her building catches fire, and your car is damaged due to the fire. What do you think would happen if your mechanic said this, "Well, I hadn't had time to pull your car into my shop. Since it wasn't in my shop, I can't be held accountable for any damages." That mechanic would be sued so fast that it would make your head spin.

I think CGC would be asking for a lot of legal trouble if they claimed that they were not liable for any damage that occurs to any package that is on their property unless it has been marked "Received."

Edited by Math Teacher

5 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

I can't imagine that USPS would be OK with CGC leaving MANY packages at USPS and asking USPS to find storage space for them. If these packages are stored on USPS property, USPS would liable for any damage. I would assume that USPS would want to get the packages off their property ASAP. I believe that these packages aren't delivered directly to CGC, as they are shipped to a PO Box. My guess is that CGC is required to pick up the packages on a daily basis, probably at USPS's insistence. If that is the case and the packages are stored on CGC property, I would think that CGC would be liable for any damages.

Imagine this scenario. You take your car to your mechanic. Your mechanic is so busy that s/he won't be able to work on it for a few days. Before the mechanic works on your car, his/her building catches fire, and your car is damaged due to the fire. What do you think would happen if your mechanic said this, "Well, I hadn't had time to pull your car into my shop. Since it wasn't in my shop, I can't be held accountable for any damages." That mechanic would be sued so fast that it would make your head spin.

I think CGC would be asking for a lot of legal trouble if they claimed that they were not liable for any damage that occurs to any package that is on their property unless it has been marked "Received."

I agree, it's crazy to imagine they would be able to leave them at the PO for the 2+ weeks of limbo that exists now between delivery and receipt. 

I always assumed they were sitting at the CGC loading docs, but it would be nice to know this for sure....

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

I agree, it's crazy to imagine they would be able to leave them at the PO for the 2+ weeks of limbo that exists now between delivery and receipt. 

The only "limbo" between "delivery" and "receipt" is in data processing.  

The reasons are obvious: (1) they are short staffed and (2) as soon as they data enter a book as "recieved" the TAT clock begins running.  

So ... due to short staffing and/or market reasons books stack up at CGC and are not entered into their computers as "received."  They have been "received," but not logged as such.

Is this a good business practice?  No.  A smart manager would (1) hire low paid data processors (extra temps even until you are caught up), who don't need any special training, to make sure that books are immediately logged as "received" on the day they are "delivered" and (2) re-set expectations on turn around times to realistic numbers from the date of actual receipt so that customers are not disappointed and frustrated by BOTH books in "limbo" and missed TATs. 

Transparency and accountability increase customer satisfaction.