• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BRZRKR #1 1:1000
1 1

147 posts in this topic

On 4/8/2021 at 3:54 PM, god503 said:

How about people not high jacking a thread away from its original intention all to show that they are holier than thou...  add Delta to that comment as well... :preach:

Says the person with "god" in their name... 

On 4/8/2021 at 4:42 PM, ivdyer said:

Are you implying that I am "holier than thou?  

I simply provided you with a known possible explanation to your question 

And that's why I said it's pointless to tell him anything... I am sorry you got dragged into this...

9 hours ago, DELTA 62 said:

And that's why I said it's pointless to tell him anything... I am sorry you got dragged into this...

Oh grow up the 2 of you.   It's a freaking chat board for God sakes!!!!!  

14 minutes ago, Attackpilot said:

Does anyone know what shipping options were available to comic shops for this book?  My two cents Keanu John wick movies were  awesome.  It would lead me to believe him making this into a movie would be pretty good.

From my understanding it's a normal ordering process.  However dependant on on the number of copies you ordered gave you access to the different  variant covers.  And there were like 15 of them. The most wanted one was the cover that Keanu signed but you need to buy 1000 copies to get it.   GOD I HOPE THE MOVIE DOESNT SUCK!  I took a chance on the signed copy.  3k in and I got one of each variant including the signed one.  Vin diesel screwed up blood shot!!!  The value of Rai 0 dropped in half after that mess and may have cause a pause in doing any Valiant characters.  :mad:

Edited by god503

I bought one too(1-1000 signed).  I haven’t gotten mine yet. The comic shop is still waiting to get it.  I asked about expedited shipping but when I did they said it wasn’t offered.  I was told 60 days but I don’t know what normal ordering means?  I know shops had to pay 90 bucks for the cheapest option or something like that?

Edited by Attackpilot

1 hour ago, Attackpilot said:

I bought one too(1-1000 signed).  I haven’t gotten mine yet. The comic shop is still waiting to get it.  I asked about expedited shipping but when I did they said it wasn’t offered.  I was told 60 days but I don’t know what normal ordering means?  I know shops had to pay 90 bucks for the cheapest option or something like that?

They all picked the cheapest option to cgc.  Even worse if they got it pressed.  My guy let me layaway the payments so he did regular grade and regular press.  I'll be lucky to see it by June.  Which is fine as long as it comes back a 9.8!!!  There were 5 9.6s on the census.  1 9.4 which I saw sold on ebay and one 9.2 that I ASSUME, that person must have cracked it to sell it raw because I remeber seeing a raw signed copy that had some wear and tear on it.  I personally belive that the ones that have been showing up on ebay raw with the sig are cracked NON 9.8s

And please save me the lecture by anybody who says there are people who like raw books.  IF YOUR GOING TO SELL IT ON EBAY AS SOON AS YOU TOUCH IT, WHY WOULD YOU NOT GET IT GRADED WHEN THERE IS A 100% PREMIUM DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO!!!

Edited by god503

11 hours ago, Attackpilot said:

I apologize for my lateness to this thread, as I abandoned these boards years ago in search of sanity... :) However, allow me to set the record STRAIGHT since I'm the facilitator that BOOM! hired to get the Keanu signed copies to CGC on behalf of qualifying retailers who wanted CGC. A longer response is coming next, but wanted to state a few facts here for recent comments:

Retailers who didn't have a CGC account (or didn't want to use their account) were offered 3 tier options: Fast Track Modern for $90, Standard for $130, or Express for $170. (includes Domestic US return shipping, grading fee, invoice fee and facilitator/handling fee. For Standard and Express, I heavily suggested USPS Registered Mail to protect their full insurance value of either $1000 or $3000) If a retailer had their own CGC account, I placed the book on their account, but steered them towards one of those 3 grading levels. A handful of retailers picked different levels, and an unspecified number of retailers also chose to add CCS pressing to their book(s).

Unlike what was stated above, retailers did not all choose the cheapest option, which is why 188+ copies are already on the census. Express customers got their copies back, then Standard, and now the Fast Track Modern customers are starting to get shipping notices and their books.

More to come in my next post.

2 hours ago, Joel Elad said:

After reading 7 pages of this back and forth, I was hesitant to jump into the fray given the nature of replies. However, since I actually have the facts and don't need conjecture, let me provide everyone with some information that you can take or ignore...

First, some background info that has been repeated in responses but I want to repeat here: Knowing the initial order number and then dividing it by the incentive amount (620,000/1,000) does NOT give you the print run number. It only gives you the THEORETICAL MAXIMUM NUMBER of copies that the publisher would need to print to cover the promised incentive. Many stores did not order anywhere NEAR 1,000 copies. Some stores ordered more than 1,000 copies, but given the amount of Diamond accounts and the number of people that qualified, you will RARELY get the theoretical maximum. It is also STANDARD PRACTICE for a publisher to print more than the "needed amount" in case of damages. Publishers also have contracts with their creative talent, and their publishing partners, etc, and many times those contracts will include a clause where complimentary (aka "comp") copies are to be provided to said parties.

Let me state clearly: I AM NOT AN EMPLOYEE OF BOOM! STUDIOS. I HAVE NO INSIDE KNOWLEDGE INTO THE TOTAL PRINT RUN OR ANY OTHER CONTRACTUAL INFORMATION REGARDING COPIES OF THIS BOOK, COMP COPIES, ETC.

That said, here are the facts:

1. Retailers were contacted by BOOM about whether they wanted raw copies or if they wanted to get their copy(ies) graded by CGC. While I know at least one boardie will be SHOCKED by this response, not every retailer actively chose to get their copy(ies) CGC graded. In some cases, the retailer wanted to keep the copy for their personal collection and they don't necessarily like CGC grading. In some cases, a customer pre-ordered the incentive from the retailer and the customer decided NOT to get it graded, due to the extra cost and/or their desire to own the book raw as well. There are other reasons as well, and in some cases, retailers did not properly notify BOOM in the timeframe given and received raw copies instead of getting it graded. I am not interested in writing paragraphs about all the different scenarios out there.

2. Retailers who elected to get their copy(ies) graded by CGC worked with me to pick a grading level, return shipping method, etc, to get their books graded. Since I do believe the CGC census will provide a mostly accurate count, I am happy to share the fact that I transported 381 signed copies to CGC on behalf of retailers in the US and abroad to get Keanu Reeves Signature Series grading. Jonboy Meyers has received his comp copies which, as the article states, he is selling for charity and he has worked out a deal with CGC that those copies will qualify as a Direct Artist Submission, so expect up to 10 additional copies that will be in the Signature Series category but will only have Jonboy's signature. Now, to be clear, there are other copies out there, and that number may grow, but understand that there are a NUMBER of people who can sign this comic, including Matt Kindt, Ron Garney, inker, colorist, letterer, editor, Jonboy, or anyone associated with this franchise.

3. The observation regarding the 9.4 Signature Series comic on eBay from late March has, IN MY OPINION, been misinterpreted. The seller, not knowing what grade he would end up getting, was simply offering a MINIMUM of 9.4 for the winner of the item. Since that seller listed 10 copies eventually, I think it's safe to say that he got more than 1 copy graded, meaning he ordered more than 1,000 copies. This seller assumed (or took the risk) that his copies would come back 9.4 or higher so he could fulfill the presale at his stated terms. He wasn't automatically selling a 9.4 copy. I hope this explanation makes sense. (To be fair, I'm not watching eBay like a hawk. If you were referring to an eBay auction that had an actual photo of the graded copy and it showed the 9.4 grade, then my apologies. I am referring to an eBay listing I saw where the seller was 'preselling' at least a 9.4 copy or better.)

4. Some of the raw copies being sold by retailers on eBay are copies that the retailer thought were pre-sold to a customer, only to find out when the book arrived, the customer backed out of the deal, so they went ahead and put it on eBay to recoup costs. Some copies are being sold raw because the store didn't or wasn't able to elect for CGC grading in time. And, I know this is a shock, but I personally spoke to at least 1 retailer who simply didn't want CGC touching their book. I know it's hard to believe, but there are some people out there with negative experiences of CGC that cause them to avoid CGC, even if it's "an easy flip for 100% more." Everyone is free to their opinions and conjecture, but this paragraph contains only a few examples of the ACTUAL COMMUNICATION I have had with retailers around the world. I am not interested in divulging actual names and examples, so as I said earlier, take this info or ignore/argue against it, it's your choice.

5. As far as the process went, I met with BOOM's witness directly in Los Angeles to take possession of the books to minimize any potential shipping damage. Given the high value of this merchandise, I elected to drive the books cross-country to CGC's facility in Sarasota, Florida, to help make sure every copy got the highest grade possible. For four days, the books never left their short boxes, were always guarded and well protected to avoid damage. I can also tell you that every copy was window bagged before Keanu signed them, and Keanu was careful with them. (I was not there, but heard that from the witness.) They were transferred to regular bags/boards, I took possession of the copies bound for CGC, and those copies didn't leave their bags/boards until CGC started to grade them. Given the high number of 9.8 copies, I am happy all these extra precautions were taken so most retailers can receive a 9.8 copy to keep or sell. As mentioned before, there are still copies to complete the grading process, but I am eagerly watching the grades like everyone else.

I cannot guarantee that I will keep an eye on this thread to answer future questions, and if it's anyone's goal to argue with me or nit-pick or anything like that, I have zero interest to indulge you. I am simply interested in providing some facts for the interested parties out there. If you're waiting for your copy, good luck, I hope that you'll get a 9.8 and will love and treasure your copy for all time!

Oh, one final thing: As for the OP, yeah if Keanu agrees to a paid private signing, I think the value of these 1:1000 signed books could go down, as people will probably choose to get John Wick photo covers, Bill & Ted, or other comics to get signed. Then again, if the movie and/or anime series is a hit, this book could go UP in value, as there's only 400-ish copies of this book, vs hundreds of thousands of regular copies available. In the end, everyone can theorize, but it's truly hard to say.

Joel

Welcomed response and thank you 

Thank you for the details.  I AM GLAD SUCH CAUTION WAS TAKEN FOR THIS SIGNING!  AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICES!!!!! 

And yes it was an actual in hand copy of a 9.4 that sold.  And yes I am still suspect of people flipping a non graded signed copy as soon as they get it.  That is my opinion but of course to each there own.

Edited by god503

4 hours ago, Joel Elad said:

After reading 7 pages of this back and forth, I was hesitant to jump into the fray given the nature of replies. However, since I actually have the facts and don't need conjecture, let me provide everyone with some information that you can take or ignore...

First, some background info that has been repeated in responses but I want to repeat here: Knowing the initial order number and then dividing it by the incentive amount (620,000/1,000) does NOT give you the print run number. It only gives you the THEORETICAL MAXIMUM NUMBER of copies that the publisher would need to print to cover the promised incentive. Many stores did not order anywhere NEAR 1,000 copies. Some stores ordered more than 1,000 copies, but given the amount of Diamond accounts and the number of people that qualified, you will RARELY get the theoretical maximum. It is also STANDARD PRACTICE for a publisher to print more than the "needed amount" in case of damages. Publishers also have contracts with their creative talent, and their publishing partners, etc, and many times those contracts will include a clause where complimentary (aka "comp") copies are to be provided to said parties.

Let me state clearly: I AM NOT AN EMPLOYEE OF BOOM! STUDIOS. I HAVE NO INSIDE KNOWLEDGE INTO THE TOTAL PRINT RUN OR ANY OTHER CONTRACTUAL INFORMATION REGARDING COPIES OF THIS BOOK, COMP COPIES, ETC.

1. Retailers were contacted by BOOM about whether they wanted raw copies or if they wanted to get their copy(ies) graded by CGC. While I know at least one boardie will be SHOCKED by this response, not every retailer actively chose to get their copy(ies) CGC graded. In some cases, the retailer wanted to keep the copy for their personal collection and they don't necessarily like CGC grading. In some cases, a customer pre-ordered the incentive from the retailer and the customer decided NOT to get it graded, due to the extra cost and/or their desire to own the book raw as well. There are other reasons as well, and in some cases, retailers did not properly notify BOOM in the timeframe given and received raw copies instead of getting it graded. I am not interested in writing paragraphs about all the different scenarios out there.

2. Retailers who elected to get their copy(ies) graded by CGC worked with me to pick a grading level, return shipping method, etc, to get their books graded. Since I do believe the CGC census will provide a mostly accurate count, I am happy to share the fact that I transported 381 signed copies to CGC on behalf of retailers in the US and abroad to get Keanu Reeves Signature Series grading. Jonboy Meyers has received his comp copies which, as the article states, he is selling for charity and he has worked out a deal with CGC that those copies will qualify as a Direct Artist Submission, so expect up to 10 additional copies that will be in the Signature Series category but will only have Jonboy's signature. Now, to be clear, there are other copies out there, and that number may grow, but understand that there are a NUMBER of people who can sign this comic, including Matt Kindt, Ron Garney, inker, colorist, letterer, editor, Jonboy, or anyone associated with this franchise.

3. The observation regarding the 9.4 Signature Series comic on eBay from late March has, IN MY OPINION, been misinterpreted. The seller, not knowing what grade he would end up getting, was simply offering a MINIMUM of 9.4 for the winner of the item. Since that seller listed 10 copies eventually, I think it's safe to say that he got more than 1 copy graded, meaning he ordered more than 1,000 copies. This seller assumed (or took the risk) that his copies would come back 9.4 or higher so he could fulfill the presale at his stated terms. He wasn't automatically selling a 9.4 copy. I hope this explanation makes sense. (To be fair, I'm not watching eBay like a hawk. If you were referring to an eBay auction that had an actual photo of the graded copy and it showed the 9.4 grade, then my apologies. I am referring to an eBay listing I saw where the seller was 'preselling' at least a 9.4 copy or better.)

4. Some of the raw copies being sold by retailers on eBay are copies that the retailer thought were pre-sold to a customer, only to find out when the book arrived, the customer backed out of the deal, so they went ahead and put it on eBay to recoup costs. Some copies are being sold raw because the store didn't or wasn't able to elect for CGC grading in time. And, I know this is a shock, but I personally spoke to at least 1 retailer who simply didn't want CGC touching their book. I know it's hard to believe, but there are some people out there with negative experiences of CGC that cause them to avoid CGC, even if it's "an easy flip for 100% more." Everyone is free to their opinions and conjecture, but this paragraph contains only a few examples of the ACTUAL COMMUNICATION I have had with retailers around the world. I am not interested in divulging actual names and examples, so as I said earlier, take this info or ignore/argue against it, it's your choice.

5. As far as the process went, I met with BOOM's witness directly in Los Angeles to take possession of the books to minimize any potential shipping damage. Given the high value of this merchandise, I elected to drive the books cross-country to CGC's facility in Sarasota, Florida, to help make sure every copy got the highest grade possible. For four days, the books never left their short boxes, were always guarded and well protected to avoid damage. I can also tell you that every copy was window bagged before Keanu signed them, and Keanu was careful with them. (I was not there, but heard that from the witness.) They were transferred to regular bags/boards, I took possession of the copies bound for CGC, and those copies didn't leave their bags/boards until CGC started to grade them. Given the high number of 9.8 copies, I am happy all these extra precautions were taken so most retailers can receive a 9.8 copy to keep or sell. As mentioned before, there are still copies to complete the grading process, but I am eagerly watching the grades like everyone else.

I cannot guarantee that I will keep an eye on this thread to answer future questions, and if it's anyone's goal to argue with me or nit-pick or anything like that, I have zero interest to indulge you. I am simply interested in providing some facts for the interested parties out there. If you're waiting for your copy, good luck, I hope that you'll get a 9.8 and will love and treasure your copy for all time!

Oh, one final thing: As for the OP, yeah if Keanu agrees to a paid private signing, I think the value of these 1:1000 signed books could go down, as people will probably choose to get John Wick photo covers, Bill & Ted, or other comics to get signed. Then again, if the movie and/or anime series is a hit, this book could go UP in value, as there's only 400-ish copies of this book, vs hundreds of thousands of regular copies available. In the end, everyone can theorize, but it's truly hard to say.

Joel

Joel, I really appreciate your response. Thank you!

Edited by nickdrizzle
sp

4 hours ago, Joel Elad said:

Joel

This is awesome, great post. I like hearing the process on these things. If I had bought one of these I would re-read this 10 times.

8 hours ago, Joel Elad said:

I apologize for my lateness to this thread, as I abandoned these boards years ago in search of sanity... :) However, allow me to set the record STRAIGHT since I'm the facilitator that BOOM! hired to get the Keanu signed copies to CGC on behalf of qualifying retailers who wanted CGC. A longer response is coming next, but wanted to state a few facts here for recent comments:

Retailers who didn't have a CGC account (or didn't want to use their account) were offered 3 tier options: Fast Track Modern for $90, Standard for $130, or Express for $170. (includes Domestic US return shipping, grading fee, invoice fee and facilitator/handling fee. For Standard and Express, I heavily suggested USPS Registered Mail to protect their full insurance value of either $1000 or $3000) If a retailer had their own CGC account, I placed the book on their account, but steered them towards one of those 3 grading levels. A handful of retailers picked different levels, and an unspecified number of retailers also chose to add CCS pressing to their book(s).

Unlike what was stated above, retailers did not all choose the cheapest option, which is why 188+ copies are already on the census. Express customers got their copies back, then Standard, and now the Fast Track Modern customers are starting to get shipping notices and their books.

More to come in my next post.

7 hours ago, Joel Elad said:

Joel

I just want to thank you for the information, time to type this all out ,  as well as your contribution.  I greatly appreciate it. :golfclap:

10 hours ago, Joel Elad said:

Joel

First of all, thanks for posting.

Secondly, this is all shocking news, I'm sure its gotta be the first time any of this has happened with any limited comic.  Which is why no one could possibly have presented these incredibly plausible theories prior to these posts.  Who could have guessed that there's many different types of collectors and dealers, with various collection goals, profit goals, business models, financial situations, and varying opinions on CGC, all of which might be fluid based on the cost, liquidity, and realizeable sale price of a comic.  And who could have guessed that comic book creators and executives might get extra copies as terms of their contracts and that those specific numbers might not be released to the public for any number of reasons and a certainly not part of advertising material.

And why would anyone think these variable (and relatively unknowable specific)  uncertainties would make it irresponsible to claim rumor, speculation, and faulty logic as fact especially when any seemingly small difference could be a difference of 5-50% of the total, which could potentially have a HUGE impact on rarity and therefore price?

If only some experienced board members had posted some of these items previously to help negate obviously false assumptions being spread as fact.