• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice - Just Received a book back from CGC, the case is filthy on the inside UPDATE
2 2

23 posts in this topic

Just received my signed copy of Batman 92 (1 per store) signed by Tynion and Jimenez. I love it, great cover perfect signature placement and I got a 9.8. But then I flip this thing over and it’s filthy. At first I thought it was on the outside of the case but quickly realized it wasn’t there is even a loose spec of dirt inside the case (last picture). To be honest I can’t be sure that these markings aren’t on the book itself however I can’t possibly see how it could have received a 9.8. They don’t actually appear to be on the case. My hope is that these markings are on sealed bag the book is placed into before encapsulation. My fear is obviously that if I send it for a reholder and these markings are actually on the back cover it’s going to get a massive grade drop. Any thoughts? Attaching pics below...

F7BD99B1-A2F3-43B2-99F0-3A83643F5678.jpeg

C1809EF9-C317-431B-9F50-82B5A2F47621.jpeg

C2E49A63-5F5D-4DA2-ACF5-6C6E51573181.jpeg

7FBB1F02-6AF2-4526-AC67-5272F05CA6F4.jpeg

Edited by Dimez

send it back, contact them first and explain and I expect them to agree to send it back

if it grades lower for some reason state that it was 9.8 when graded initially and if the dirt changed the grade that is on them. They usually step up and do the right thing so I wouldn't expect them to say it was a dirty 9.2 and you are stuck with that

38 minutes ago, Bird said:

send it back, contact them first and explain and I expect them to agree to send it back

if it grades lower for some reason state that it was 9.8 when graded initially and if the dirt changed the grade that is on them. They usually step up and do the right thing so I wouldn't expect them to say it was a dirty 9.2 and you are stuck with that

28 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

This exact thing juts happened to @Wolverinex 

call CGC...send it back...they will take care of it

27 minutes ago, Motor City Rob said:

CGC will definitely take care of you.

Thank you guys. I will contact

6 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Yes,  CGC was excellent in taking care of it. 

Beautiful signature placement btw

Great to hear. And Thank you, you tape and cut out the signature locations after studying their sigs and you hope it works out. I couldn’t be happier with the outcome which is why the back of the slab was such a bummer  

I’ll report back in this thread when CGC (Hopefully) makes it right 

20 hours ago, Bird said:

lets tell the card guys that their slabs will be dirty when they finally get them back and then sit back and watch the fireworks! :devil:

(tsk)

CGC hasn't yet perfected the scuffing, dirt and newton ring technology for their card slabs. Give them time.

10 hours ago, Gaard said:

I never got an answer.

mine is something like "what is up with all the inner dirty wells?" but it is sitting as waiting for moderator approval so no go I guess. I saw that one, but figured the dirt was new. 

4 hours ago, Dimez said:

Finally made the call to CGC yesterday, I’ve been really busy at work as our industry is just coming back post COVID, woman I spoke to was extremely helpful. Emailed me an overnight label to ship back to them. I’ll drop off later today. And I’ll post later to update how it goes 

If the individual that assisted you is the one that always assists me with such issues, she is extremely helpful, clear, and courteous.

UPDATE:

I got the book back on Saturday. All cleaned up and still a 9.8 thankfully. Although there is no excuse for QC to allow a book to ship out in the condition that it was in, CGC really takes care of issues like this very quickly. It arrived there on the 30th and was it was back in my hands on the 10th. Pretty impressive 

On 3/18/2021 at 3:11 PM, Bird said:

lets tell the card guys that their slabs will be dirty when they finally get them back and then sit back and watch the fireworks! :devil:

but these inner well posts keep coming. My pile of moderns is about cgc sized now but I ain't sendin' nuttin' their way until we get a steady period without these dirt posts

@Buzzetta