• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there any value in purchasing grader notes?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Having recently submitted books to CGC, it was interesting to read the grader notes that came free with my membership. When I tried to see the grader notes for books that I'd bought online, however, I discovered I needed to pay to see them. Interestingly, some notes cost $15 while others only $5. 

So two questions. Other than satisfying one's curiosity as to why a book was given a certain grade, is there any value in knowing the grader notes (i.e. would it increase the value of a graded book if you could offer the grader notes with it)? The other question, of course, is why the difference in price? Is it all about how extensive the grader notes are?

16 hours ago, Snooze Fest said:

That's not allowed (tsk)

That's odd.  Why not?  If we can include a description of damage on a raw book when trying to sell it, why not include what the professional grader(s) found?  

Thanks for the link to the disclaimer. I don't see the sense in this prohibition if we have chosen to pay for the notes, but I don't really care since the grade--and not the grader notes--is what determines the book's value.  My main question still is: besides the curiosity factor, is there any reason to pay for grader notes? 

On 3/20/2021 at 5:33 PM, Bajri said:

Thanks for the link to the disclaimer. I don't see the sense in this prohibition if we have chosen to pay for the notes, but I don't really care since the grade--and not the grader notes--is what determines the book's value.  My main question still is: besides the curiosity factor, is there any reason to pay for grader notes? 

Yes as it tells you whether or not a book is  a good press candidate or not. Good press on a key book is worth $$$