• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rejects in a Non-Prescreen Modern Submission?

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

Just got my books graded and I'm seeing two got rejected. The submission was not a prescreen and both books were modern. I did see one other post about a reject for a detached cover. However, I know when these were submitted they were fine. One of the two rejects doesn't even have staples. Grades have not posted yet so I'm somewhat terrified others got damaged at CGC. (They were dropped off, not mailed.) Any chance there's more info?

Submission #3775430

• Administrator

Good afternoon,

I'm showing these did ship out on the 22nd.  I don't see a note as to why they were not able to grade those two books but there should be a notation on your books when you get them back explaining.  If you don't see that when you receive your order, please let us know.  Thank you.

55 minutes ago, Jennifer F. said:

Good afternoon,

I'm showing these did ship out on the 22nd.  I don't see a note as to why they were not able to grade those two books but there should be a notation on your books when you get them back explaining.  If you don't see that when you receive your order, please let us know.  Thank you.

I did have a grader's note for one of them, but its vague enough to not give me much detail. As of today anyway, I've not been refunded for the grading that was billed on my received date. What's more frustrating was I waited two months to get these graded and now I'll have to pay again for shipping to and from and wait another two months to get them re-graded. Hoping something can be worked out here. It will probably be a week to get then from the PO, so I'll follow up when I do.

Edited by Tnexus

Hi Jennifer,

I received the shipment today with the two raw books inside. There are no notes as to why they were returned, and I was billed full price for them. I'm seriously at a loss as to what happened.

Since I have a thread going, I also have a question regarding two books that looks like the case failed to seal or something because the glue is very visible. Pictures don't do it a great justice, but it is basically spans the entire comic. I don't really know how these passed QA because it's the first thing that draws your eye. Both books have them. The other books in the submission are fine.

20210329_195201.jpg

20210329_195218.jpg

20210329_195258.jpg

• Administrator

Good morning,

I did confirm with our encapsulation room that is the heat seal line caused during encapsulation.  That is a normal process and how the book is sealed in the inner well.  

If you have any questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

13 hours ago, Tnexus said:

Hi Jennifer,

I received the shipment today with the two raw books inside. There are no notes as to why they were returned, and I was billed full price for them. I'm seriously at a loss as to what happened.

Since I have a thread going, I also have a question regarding two books that looks like the case failed to seal or something because the glue is very visible. Pictures don't do it a great justice, but it is basically spans the entire comic. I don't really know how these passed QA because it's the first thing that draws your eye. Both books have them. The other books in the submission are fine.

20210329_195201.jpg

20210329_195218.jpg

20210329_195258.jpg

You must be new 

So the heat seal is just what it is? All my other books like fine, and of the 100 or so books I've submitted, I've just never seen such bad heat seals. I'm hoping I can get some slightly better pics tonight as I realize these don't show it well.

Also still looking for advice for the reject issue.

Edited by Tnexus

23 hours ago, Tnexus said:

So the heat seal is just what it is? All my other books like fine, and of the 100 or so books I've submitted, I've just never seen such bad heat seals. I'm hoping I can get some slightly better pics tonight as I realize these don't show it well.

Also still looking for advice for the reject issue.

Not saying it's not a big deal just that you know what this is so you should be able to get a answer as to why this happened, to me I could live with that but to have 2 books rejected for NO reason and getting charged would be a bigger concern for me. And QC is struggling and it's not just due to the overload of books it's been happening for a while, case in point see pics 

Edited by billsid
pics too big

Attached a better example. The top image is your standard heat seal. The bottom is what I'm seeing on both copies of this issue all along the seal. There's even excess heat seal residue(?) outside by the edge of the book which you can see in the picture.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-yavgFlkCig.jpg

Edited by Tnexus

• Administrator

Good morning,

I did forward your pictures over to our Operations manager and she did confirm that this is a normal process with heat sealing and it does fall within our normal guidelines.  You can send the book back for a reholder but the same situation may occur.  

Regarding the rejected books, I pulled up your original packing slip and you did request pre-screen on this order.  Those two lines both show you requested a minimum grade of 9.6.  They were rejected because the graders felt they were lower than this minimum grade. 

5 hours ago, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

I did forward your pictures over to our Operations manager and she did confirm that this is a normal process with heat sealing and it does fall within our normal guidelines.  You can send the book back for a reholder but the same situation may occur.  

Regarding the rejected books, I pulled up your original packing slip and you did request pre-screen on this order.  Those two lines both show you requested a minimum grade of 9.6.  They were rejected because the graders felt they were lower than this minimum grade. 

I'll confirm again with my presser who dropped them off locally, but I specifically requested not. I suppose he could have screwed up, but I was billed for 25 comics at $455 (25x$18+$5 submission fee) upon receiving back in January (not after pre-screen), did not have extra TAT for prescreen (confirmed by the other submissions that were also dropped off at the time by the same presser), and nothing about pre-screen was mentioned in the return form. So hopefully you can see why I'm confused.

So still at a minimum I'd need a partial refund for the rejects.

Edited by Tnexus

• Administrator

I'll email you a copy of the packing slip so you can review.  You should have only been charged the $5 reject fee for the books that did not make the minimum.  I will double check with our accounting department that that was processed correctly.  If not, we'll adjust the pricing for those and credit you back everything but the reject fee on those two books.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Jennifer F. said:

I'll email you a copy of the packing slip so you can review.  You should have only been charged the $5 reject fee for the books that did not make the minimum.  I will double check with our accounting department that that was processed correctly.  If not, we'll adjust the pricing for those and credit you back everything but the reject fee on those two books.

Thanks!

Appreciate it, thank you.