• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MyComicShop & scuffed cases
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Morning. I recently consigned 11 cgc (modern) books to MyComicShop for the first time, and just wanted some feedback on this issue. All bar one of the books have been described as "scuffing to inner well of case". That's a high perentage, especially considering these books weren't all graded together, but over several different submissions. Also, I don't recall seeing any scuffing, although admittedly I didn't examine too closely.

Does anyone have similar experiences, or would you say that's quite normal? Thanks :)

ive bought two cgc slabs from them and both had light scuffing. but one was graded in 2004 the other 2008. Considering when i bought them both had probably picked up the damage from the various hands that passed between them before they got to me. 

3 hours ago, kasharic said:

Morning. I recently consigned 11 cgc (modern) books to MyComicShop for the first time, and just wanted some feedback on this issue. All bar one of the books have been described as "scuffing to inner well of case". That's a high perentage, especially considering these books weren't all graded together, but over several different submissions. Also, I don't recall seeing any scuffing, although admittedly I didn't examine too closely.

Does anyone have similar experiences, or would you say that's quite normal? Thanks :)

Based on the post above, the "one" that didn't get the notation must have been exceptional.

44 minutes ago, mycomicshop said:

There are quite a few buyers that will complain about any minor defects on the case and either want to return a purchased slab, or ask for a partial refund. Some of the "defects" that buyers will complain about are minor cosmetic issues sometimes found in brand new slabs fresh from CGC that CGC considers within the natural and acceptable range of the production process for case material.

To head off conflict and returns, we do our best to accurately note anything buyers might want to know about the slab before they buy/bid. Additionally, all our CGC eBay listings have this text:

Hi  - many thanks for your response andexplanation - I fully understand how particular some customers are, so I applaud you pointing out in the descriptions any issues such as scuffing. I was just curious why my proportion seems much higher than what is available from other items in the auction - I don't see many others with that flaw, certainly not to the extend of 10 out of 11. If it was scuffing to the exterior case, then it would be likely due to how I had stored them or shipped them - or if they were all graded at the same time then there could be a logical explanation there too. Seems a bit of a disparity perhaps?

3 hours ago, kasharic said:

Hi  - many thanks for your response andexplanation - I fully understand how particular some customers are, so I applaud you pointing out in the descriptions any issues such as scuffing. I was just curious why my proportion seems much higher than what is available from other items in the auction - I don't see many others with that flaw, certainly not to the extend of 10 out of 11. If it was scuffing to the exterior case, then it would be likely due to how I had stored them or shipped them - or if they were all graded at the same time then there could be a logical explanation there too. Seems a bit of a disparity perhaps?

Don't have any specific answer to your question except to say that there's no variability on our end in terms of some books being reviewed in this manner and others not. They all go through the same systems.

5 hours ago, mycomicshop said:

There are quite a few buyers that will complain about any minor defects on the case and either want to return a purchased slab, or ask for a partial refund. Some of the "defects" that buyers will complain about are minor cosmetic issues sometimes found in brand new slabs fresh from CGC that CGC considers within the natural and acceptable range of the production process for case material.

To head off conflict and returns, we do our best to accurately note anything buyers might want to know about the slab before they buy/bid. Additionally, all our CGC eBay listings have this text:

the two i purchased from you were indicated in the description. frankly neither was so bad it detracted from the rest of the slab. your honestly in noting the minor issues is one reason i continue to purchase from your business.  

A high percentage of slabs I have consigned to MyComicShop have ended up being listed with the scuffed case notation. Even raw comics that I've had MCS send directly to CGC for grading have come back - after being handled by no one other than CGC and the MCS receiving department - with scuffed cases. It is important to note that in almost every instance the scuffing has been on the inside of the slab. I believe this is because CGC is intentionally scuffing the inside of the cases to alleviate the massive problem they had been having with newton rings, which seems to have lessened in direct proportion to the sudden increase of (internally) scuffed CGC slabs.

Thank you everyone for your feedback and assurances - just to say again thanks also to MyComicShop - they've been great so far, and there was no intent on my part to question that - merely curious for other's input :)

Just a comment on my experience with MyComic. So far I have been very happy with their descriptions of CGC slabbed books, usually I see very little scuffing. Also, their grading of raw books have seem right on and sometimes conservative by 0.5 or even 1.0. Have had issues with some other common auction sellers though.

I love MCS for the grading on raw books, been a happy customer for a long time.

From a selling perspective I can see how this policy might be a bit frustrating based on the description provided by MCS above (i.e. small interior scratches that are considered acceptable by CGC when it leaves Florida). Will a buyer see the notation and infer it is less valuable than an item assigned the same CGC grade?

If we are talking about issues within CGCs own "production" tolerances that I as an individual would have to live with after getting the book back directly from CGC, is it even worth mentioning? I totally understand when cases are cracked or scratched from heavy handling that it deserves notation, but it seems like as a CGC customer I really have no control in the case of interior scratches (with the exception of re-submitting and hoping the new case I get back has none?). 

Random thoughts after reading through the thread.

Happy Friday!