• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone recommend some affordable horror artists?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I'm looking for some recommendations. I'm getting some art related to Justice League Dark, and spent most of my budget on some pages by Kyle Hotz (Can't wait for them to arrive).

I have a little left over and want to get a sketch cover done, with Zatanna and the Upside Down man. I am on the list of an up and coming artist named Cam Adams whose work I like, but I'm not certain it will pan out. 

Does anyone have some recommendations for artists who have a knack for horror or genre type stuff, and aren't overly pricey (in the range of $75 - $250usd)?

Thank you!

Edited by babsrocks31

15 minutes ago, babsrocks31 said:

I'm looking for some recommendations. I'm getting some art related to Justice League Dark, and spent most of my budget on some pages by Kyle Hotz (Can't wait for them to arrive).

I have a little left over and want to get a sketch cover done, with Zatanna and the Upside Down man. I am on the list of an up and coming artist named Cam Adams whose work I like, but I'm not certain it will pan out. 

Does anyone have some recommendations for artists who have a knack for horror or genre type stuff, and aren't overly pricey (in the range of $75 - $250usd)?

Thank you!

I don't know his rates, but I would always recommend Tom Mandrake. He isn't pricey.

Puis Calzada - He does illustrations for Fangoria and is drawing Curse of Dracula for Source Point Press. He recently did a cover for my comic and is great to work with. You can find him on Facebook or Instagram under his name. 

On 3/19/2021 at 3:39 PM, babsrocks31 said:

Thank you!

Dave Acosta. 

https://davedrawsgood.com

10 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Dave Acosta. 

https://davedrawsgood.com

Totally. I own a lot of Dave's art. I actually have two pages from him in the mail, and recently started a thread on him in this very forum as Underrated Artist Snapshot # 3.

Glad to see someone else give Dave a mention!

3 hours ago, Bird said:

rudy nebres would be good as well, a beautiful cover quality commission is reasonably priced

Thanks for the recommendation. This is another good one...

Rudy is getting up there in age, do you know if he still does commissions? Seems like a nice fellow.

Thanks

15 minutes ago, babsrocks31 said:

Thanks for the recommendation. This is another good one...

Rudy is getting up there in age, do you know if he still does commissions? Seems like a nice fellow.

Thanks

As of a few years ago he did. Let me add that if the artist has worked on the subject before in a book, you may get a picture back which better captures the essence of your subject.

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

As of a few years ago he did. Let me add that if the artist has worked on the subject before in a book, you may get a picture back which better captures the essence of your subject.

Absolutely, although in this case it's unlikely I'll be able to go that route.

And thanks for the heads up on Rudy.

25 minutes ago, babsrocks31 said:

Absolutely, although in this case it's unlikely I'll be able to go that route.

And thanks for the heads up on Rudy.

yes, he would definitely require reference. I believe his son is now handling things and helping him with art, at least he was 3 or so years ago. He lives near me and I facilitated a few commissions and am a bit stunned not to see something pop up on google as his son told me he was getting stuff online. 

He lives in edison nj (highland park but edison in the phone book) and was very open to talking on the phone and is listed in the white pages, if those still exist!

NEBREScommissiondrac-doc.jpg

Edited by Bird