• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Acts of Vengeance - lasting legacy?

6 posts in this topic

Like a whole bunch of kids, I started collecting comic books during the summer of 1989, due largely to the Batman movie.

But it was also a *great* time to be a comics fan.

• Batman was rocking - with Year 3 and A Lonely Place of Dying (which introduced Tim Drake's Robin)
  • Classic X-Men was reprinting the Dark Phoenix Saga (but with new Jim Lee covers)
  • Future Image superstar artists were in the thick of their iconic Marvel runs (McFarlane finishing up on ASM, Lee just starting on Uncanny X-Men)

But I started collecting in earnest the month that Acts of Vengeance started.

The idea was simple - the MCU's villains decided to switch it up, fighting different heroes than their usual.

So we got the Reavers and Doctor Doom taking on Punisher; the Mandarin taking on the X-Men; Magneto taking on Spider-Man; etc.

It was a really fun three months, with Spider-Man becoming Super-Spidey via the power of the Cosmic Cube, and other random storylines.

My question is, for those who remember it, what's the biggest lasting legacy of the storyline (if any)? My nominations:

• 1) The introduction of the New Warriors (Thor 411-412)
  • 2) First new Psylocke (Mandarin turns her from British to Japanese ninja assassin, illustrated by Jim Lee)
  • 3) ASM 328 -- Cosmic Spidey v. Hulk battle, which marked McFarlane's last issue on ASM and his last Hulk artwork

2 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

The covers were by Steve Lightle (#35-42) and John Byrne (#43).

Good correction - thanks.

Looked it up, because Classic X-Men # 39 was the first I bought off the newsstand and Jim Lee penciled the new back-up story in that issue, but yes - Lightle did the bulk of the covers, until Byrne himself.

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

with Spider-Man becoming Super-Spidey via the power of the Cosmic Cube

Cosmic Spider-Man, with partial Captain Universe integration (power but not awareness).

So we got the Reavers and Doctor Doom taking on Punisher; the Mandarin taking on the X-Men; Magneto taking on Spider-Man; etc.

And the FF being annoyed by the lamest villains in the Marvel Universe. lol

My question is, for those who remember it, what's the biggest lasting legacy of the storyline (if any)? My nominations:

• 1) The introduction of the New Warriors (Thor 411-412)
  • 2) First new Psylocke (Mandarin turns her from British to Japanese ninja assassin, illustrated by Jim Lee)

Yeah, that's about right.

I kinda feel the Psylocke thing was going to happen either way, and Claremont managed to work it into the crossover storyline. In some comics that were tangentially part of the big crossovers of the '80s and '90s, it was painfully obvious that the writer was being forced to shoehorn the crossover into the planned storyline.