• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Displaying/hanging books
1 1

30 posts in this topic

Is there an agreed upon "best" way to display slabs you want out in your comic room (or even raw comics in mylar)? i definitely want to hang some on the walls, maybe a few on various flat surfaces. I have no interest in hanging them up using like the velcro strips directly on the slabs or something like that. I figure that has to be some product out there somewhere.

Edited by xvipah

10 hours ago, xvipah said:

Is there an agreed upon "best" way to display slabs you want out in your comic room (or even raw comics in mylar)? i definitely want to hang some on the walls, maybe a few on various flat surfaces. I have no interest in hanging them up using like the velcro strips directly on the slabs or something like that. I figure that has to be some product out there somewhere.

Good luck.

1 minute ago, xvipah said:

Good luck in not having interest hanging them directly on the wall?

Are you saying that's the only option?

I mean, the slab in and of itself is a display piece. I can't really imagine buy a display piece for a display piece. Gnome-a-Saiyan?

You could get large picture frames for bagged comics, though.

Personally, I wouldn't hang on walls. The thought of them falling off is somewhat terrifying.

Yea, it is. But it's not as if I plan to hang an AF15 on my wall. If my YotV #3 falls, well, I'll get another I suppose, or try to salvage that one.

I'm trying to find ways to display stuff in my office without needing tons of "counter space" to stand them up on. Walls seem to be a good option, but only if there's a way to do it that doesn't involve me putting adhesive on the slabs.

Oh, very nice, I like that, thanks! 

Is it just a bunch of these strung together?
https://www.amazon.com/SONGMICS-Floating-15-inch-Shelving-ULWS38WT/dp/B07B7CV19Z

Or something else?

6 minutes ago, Roo_Phillip said:

I don't have any slabs, but I display raws in my office using these floating shelves.  (Amazon). No adhesive required, easy to change up the display. (thumbsu

PXL_20210322_124723916.thumb.jpg.496088b2bf1fe9832a64b34b38816ef6.jpg

PXL_20210322_124803968.thumb.jpg.dfe4abb854bdf17245df096ad4faf952.jpg

Do you do anything special to protect from UV? Or you figure the lights only on for so long so it doesn't matter much as long as you switch em out now and again?

27 minutes ago, Roo_Phillip said:

17 minutes ago, xvipah said:

Do you do anything special to protect from UV? Or you figure the lights only on for so long so it doesn't matter much as long as you switch em out now and again?

I don't do anything special for UV.  I just keep the room as dark as possible during the day, and swap them out weekly.  And the "expensive" stuff stays in the closet, unless a fellow comic lover is coming over and I want to show off.  lol    

Perhaps a hanging enclosed case with museum glass that blocks UV would do. Keeping them on a wall that is out of direct sunlight no matter the glass you get, is a good idea as well. As Angel of Death pointed out, I'd be reluctant to put them on the walls as well unless the cabinet is lag bolted into the studs with some serious hardware. As long as you never get hit with an earthquake in your area, you should be good. :wishluck: 

I'd also go so far as to use something like clips to keep the slabs in place. Maybe use a soft felt where the slab meets the clip to keep it from scratching the cases would be nice too. Clear plastic clips to keep the aesthetics in check.  

If you have windows in this room then any books, raw or slabbed need to be placed into UV protected frames, CGC slabs DO NOT offer UV protection.

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/comic-book-showcase-current-uv

https://thecollectorsresource.com/

Once in the frame use 3M Command Strips to hang the frame to the wall.

https://www.command.com/3M/en_CA/command-ca/products/~/Command-Picture-Hanging-Strips-17206-12EF-White-Large-24-Strips-Per-Pack/?N=5924736+3290864240&preselect=5584789+3293786499+3294529206&rt=rud

G1-Marvel Comics #1000 Variant Covers-Framed.jpg

Funds are tight at the moment, but I've settled on these for when I decide to eventually hang some slabs.

Amazon.com: ECC FRAMES Economy Graded Comic Book Frame (CGC/CBCS with UV Resistant Acrylic): Home & Kitchen

Amazon.com: Collectible Grading Authority Comic Book Display Case & Stand for CGC Graded Comics: Home & Kitchen (there are two versions of this.  The link is for the stand, but there is a separate one that can be hung.)

Triple Comic Book Frame with Classic Moulding | Perfect Cases, Inc. (I was only specifically looking at hanging 3 books, but there are other frames for hanging 2 or 4 books.)

But, if I'm honest, this seems to be the most contemporary looking case and is probably what I am leaning towards:

UV-FLEX Display Case | CGC/CBCS/PGX Slab Frame | UV-Protected Acrylic (crafticomics.com)

Whew, I like all of those. But those prices aren't screwing around. $60 for one frame seems, excessive. Though maybe that's just the price. Thanks for the links, I'll see what I think of the shelves and take it from there.

3 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Funds are tight at the moment, but I've settled on these for when I decide to eventually hang some slabs.

Amazon.com: ECC FRAMES Economy Graded Comic Book Frame (CGC/CBCS with UV Resistant Acrylic): Home & Kitchen

Amazon.com: Collectible Grading Authority Comic Book Display Case & Stand for CGC Graded Comics: Home & Kitchen (there are two versions of this.  The link is for the stand, but there is a separate one that can be hung.)

Triple Comic Book Frame with Classic Moulding | Perfect Cases, Inc. (I was only specifically looking at hanging 3 books, but there are other frames for hanging 2 or 4 books.)

But, if I'm honest, this seems to be the most contemporary looking case and is probably what I am leaning towards:

UV-FLEX Display Case | CGC/CBCS/PGX Slab Frame | UV-Protected Acrylic (crafticomics.com)

19 minutes ago, xvipah said:

Whew, I like all of those. But those prices aren't screwing around. $60 for one frame seems, excessive. Though maybe that's just the price. Thanks for the links, I'll see what I think of the shelves and take it from there.

Yeah, definitely the reason why I haven't bought these yet.  It ultimately comes down to "do I want to spent $150 on frames, or do I want to put that towards a key book that I want?"  Thus far, saving towards a key has always come out on top.  Generally speaking, these are UV protected so that's also a reason why the costs are a little higher.

Edited by ExNihilo

3 hours ago, xvipah said:

Cheap and easy:

https://www.amazon.com/Comic-Mount-Shelf-Invisible-Adjustable/dp/B07CGNZBTJ/ref=asc_df_B07CGNZBTJ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=267035406666&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1040952575732523173&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1023691&hvtargid=pla-450283558772&psc=1

Though there is definitely something missing in the "mount on wall" section of the video......

Edited by Fisionbomb
Added info