• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which of the 4 Marvel's major universes have more key issues, FF vs X-Men vs Spider-Man vs Avengers?
1 1

51 posts in this topic

Spider-Man has the most keys, but few with any real significance outside of the Spider-Man title.  What effect did Chameleon, Vulture, Dr Octopus, Electro, Mysterio, or Shocker have in the rest of the Marvel Universe?  Absolutely none.

Fantastic Four is the title from which the Marvel Universe was built.

Edited by FineCollector

I concur ... ASM is Marvel’s version of Batman in regards to key issues / first appearances and villains . FF may be second in terms of importance of first appearances but for consistency X-Men trumps them ( I mean Gambit was #266, what major FF person was appears after #94 ? And Harkness is a stretch of not for the show ..) Avengers - may have the least of the bunch , but #4 is very significant ....

30 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

Spider-Man has the most keys, but few with any real significance outside of the Spider-Man title.  What effect did Chameleon, Vulture, Dr Octopus, Electro, Mysterio, or Shocker have in the rest of the Marvel Universe?  Absolutely none.

That's going a bit too far, but the basic point that Spidey introduced lots of villains that have had little (or even no) impact outside of his titles is true enough.

1 hour ago, littledoom said:

X-Men

What are X-Men major first appearances though? I hardly can think any

47 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

I concur ... ASM is Marvel’s version of Batman in regards to key issues / first appearances and villains . FF may be second in terms of importance of first appearances but for consistency X-Men trumps them ( I mean Gambit was #266, what major FF person was appears after #94 ? And Harkness is a stretch of not for the show ..) Avengers - may have the least of the bunch , but #4 is very significant ....

I would argue strongly against categorizing Gambit as major. Deadpool YES! ....Gambit? naaahhhh

Edited by IronMan_Cave

56 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Avengers universe's keys are bit hard to group, because each of the prominent member has their own series.... In the main series, yes it's a bit thin, #4 and #57.....but then what about Thanos first appearance in IM55? what about Wolverine appearance in IH181?

13 minutes ago, IronMan_Cave said:

Avengers universe's keys are bit hard to group, because each of the prominent member has their own series.... In the main series, yes it's a bit thin, #4 and #57.....but then what about Thanos first appearance in IM55? what about Wolverine appearance in IH181?

Or Falcon in CA # 117 ? The point is , Avengers has the least ...

28 minutes ago, IronMan_Cave said:

I would argue strongly against categorizing Gambit as major. Deadpool YES! ....Gambit? naaahhhh

and I’m sticking with Gambit being major - maybe it’s just me being stubborn and reminiscent but he was a major player on both Uncanny X-Men and the Jim Lee 2ns series as well as the cartoon TV show. It wasn’t long ago that Gambit’s FA was higher than Deadpool’s , I’m sure it will happen again  

43 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Or Falcon in CA # 117 ? The point is , Avengers has the least ...

and I’m sticking with Gambit being major - maybe it’s just me being stubborn and reminiscent but he was a major player on both Uncanny X-Men and the Jim Lee 2ns series as well as the cartoon TV show. It wasn’t long ago that Gambit’s FA was higher than Deadpool’s , I’m sure it will happen again  

Once he gets his own movie, maybe :nyah:.....just like Morbius 

4 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

That's going a bit too far, but the basic point that Spidey introduced lots of villains that have had little (or even no) impact outside of his titles is true enough.

They don't have to tho, but Kingpin did become Daredevils main adversary, and what about Punisher? He isn't a villain, but massive impact on the Marvel Universe. And Venom, also huge Villain but because of his popularity he became a Anti-hero like Deadpool. Black Panther was heavily influenced by movies, Silver Surfer gained the most popularity from FF in my opinion, and his first appearance is a silver age which explains why it would be more valuable but not necessarily sought after as much as ASM 129. Galactus, yes massive Villain, but as I said the 3 biggest Villains in Marvel are

Magneto-X-Men 1

DR Doom- FF 5

Green Goblin ASM 14

But even Spidey Villains are more valuable then the other super hero books

Edited by Hollywood1892

5 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Punisher?

Punisher is arguably more famous then Silver Surfer

And Wolverine appeared in Hulk, also waaaay more famous then SilverSurfer and what about Venom? His popularity doesn't stem from the movies

Villain wise Magneto and Dr Doom are pretty much equal, and most villains don't have Storylines on their own but Green Goblin is arguably up there with both of those. I think the Marvel Universe was a combined effort, but Spidey is the flagship

13 hours ago, IronMan_Cave said:

oh yeah, forgot about Morbius, he has his own comic series and gonna get his own movie, that makes him a major character....

I think Punisher, Venom, Carnage, Morbius, Green Goblin, Doc Oc, Kingpin are major characters, the rest of them are minor villains...

Errrr... Lizard, Kraven, Mysterio? 

7 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

They don't have to tho, but Kingpin did become Daredevils main adversary, and what about Punisher? He isn't a villain, but massive impact on the Marvel Universe. And Venom, also huge Villain but because of his popularity he became a Anti-hero like Deadpool. Black Panther was heavily influenced by movies, Silver Surfer gained the most popularity from FF in my opinion, and his first appearance is a silver age which explains why it would be more valuable but not necessarily sought after as much as ASM 129. Galactus, yes massive Villain, but as I said the 3 biggest Villains in Marvel are

Magneto-X-Men 1

DR Doom- FF 5

Green Goblin ASM 14

But even Spidey Villains are more valuable then the other super hero books

Disagree. Marvel's biggest, baddest villains are, and in this particular order

Galactus (FF48-49)

Thanos, (IM55, so Avenger's universe can claim his first intro)

Dr. Doom (FF5)

Magneto, but he appears in the series debut, which by default is always key issue

Unfortunately for Spidey, as someone else had said, most of his villains are local criminals, they are nothing more than domestic disturbance, have little impact to the bigger Marvel's universe. BUT his villains do have more personality depth, that's why some of them can be turned into anti-heroes like Punisher, Venom, etc

13 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Indeed mate, indeed

9 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

What's a "key issue" anyways?

oh I dunno, some issues that people are paying 1000X of regular prices

joking aside, for me, key issue = major event or major character first appearance (sorry Agatha, Ronan)

Edited by IronMan_Cave

Just now, IronMan_Cave said:

oh I dunno, some issues that people are paying 1000X or even1000000X of regular prices

joking aside, for me, key issue = major event or major character first appearance (sorry Agatha, Ronan)

Then, I must ask, what's a "major event or major character"?