• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$5.99?
2 2

198 posts in this topic

Yeah, no thanks. I still have ASM and Daredevil on my pull list for some reason. If they raise prices again then I'll probably drop them. It's bad enough they come out non stop and slip in the occasional ten dollar issue.

6 bucks a comic, inflation or no, can't be good for business.

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

I was out when they went to 65 cents. Welcome to the club!

Likewise.

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

our local newspaper is $2.50 an issue and it only has about 20 pages... i would never buy one or even read it for free because it is all lies ,.... but it seems that it was only 50 cents an issue 15 years ago ,... so the price has quintrupled since then

Declining readership, lower ad revenue, and higher production costs will end printed newspapers and comics.  I remember when our local newspaper was 7 cents for the daily issue, and a comic book was 12 cents.

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

our local newspaper is $2.50 an issue and it only has about 20 pages... i would never buy one or even read it for free because it is all lies ,.... but it seems that it was only 50 cents an issue 15 years ago ,... so the price has quintrupled since then

There's a good chance you can trademark "quintrupled" since "quintupled" is taken. (thumbsu

1 minute ago, Terry_JSA said:

I got rid of pull list. The quality isn’t there for me right now with the newer stuff nor does any of it interest me. I’d rather spend my time collecting to get the things that are more worthwhile. 

That's a smart choice. 

There was a guy years ago who could not understand how others around here could buy books that had a higher dollar value.  Then he revealed that he was spending almost $100 a week in new books.  If anyone wants to collect moderns and spend $100 a week to read current issues, then more power to them.  But if they are looking to find the cash to support buying a larger purchase once in awhile, maybe it's time to get a Marvel Unlimited App, be six months behind at a fraction of that cost and buy that big book you want. 

13 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

That's a smart choice. 

There was a guy years ago who could not understand how others around here could buy books that had a higher dollar value.  Then he revealed that he was spending almost $100 a week in new books.  If anyone wants to collect moderns and spend $100 a week to read current issues, then more power to them.  But if they are looking to find the cash to support buying a larger purchase once in awhile, maybe it's time to get a Marvel Unlimited App, be six months behind at a fraction of that cost and buy that big book you want. 

Exactly! I even complain about books being $3.99 or even $4.99 nowadays. If I’m spending like $50 each week for a few titles that aren’t really up to par, why not take the money I’m spending every week on new comics and put it towards a grail or something.

Edited by Terry_JSA

31 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

That's a smart choice. 

This is eye opening the number of responses with people stating they pull less than 5 books a month.  In some cases, zero books a month.

I do about 10 books a month depending on if any events are going on.

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

This is eye opening the number of responses with people stating they pull less than 5 books a month.  In some cases, zero books a month.

I do about 10 books a month depending on if any events are going on.

Down to ASM and not even that.  In order to get those I wait around 5-6 months and put up a WTB ad for current issues.   Nobody is going to pull 1 book for me even if it comes out twice a month, and my life and schedule does not allow me the time to go driving miles away on new comics day to make sure I get that ASM title.   If I do that, it becomes 'work'.  Once I no longer see any value in it, then it all ends.