• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$5.99?
2 2

198 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

:whistle:

20210325_205906.jpg.60f2331603bae26567f613f8142cec13.jpg

Yep we never hear abt Lincoln imprisoning newspaper editors or deporting political foes behind enemy lines.

On 3/23/2021 at 3:31 AM, ExNihilo said:

This is eye opening the number of responses with people stating they pull less than 5 books a month.  In some cases, zero books a month.

I do about 10 books a month depending on if any events are going on.

Zero books a month.

A lot of this has to do with my local shop I used to go to 2-3X a week closing. I would check out the new stuff there and maybe buy 6-9 books a year off the rack. I had no pull.

I probably bought on average 30-50 books a month that had come out within the last 18-24 months though out of their overstock/discount boxes at 15 for $10. The shop owner knew my deal and appreciated it. I was putting $50-100+ a month into his pocket just like a guy with a pull list and some of those 3 for $2 books he had paid 5 or 10 cents for. I cleaned up some of his overstock problems. getting 67 cents back on a book he had paid $1.50 wholesale on was better than nothing, and depending on how he did on the variants it might be pure gravy. and sometimes I would buy a stack of regular back issues at his marked prices, maybe with a little haggle. 

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

Zero books a month.

A lot of this has to do with my local shop I used to go to 2-3X a week closing. I would check out the new stuff there and maybe buy 6-9 books a year off the rack. I had no pull.

I probably bought on average 30-50 books a month that had come out within the last 18-24 months though out of their overstock/discount boxes at 15 for $10. The shop owner knew my deal and appreciated it. I was putting $50-100+ a month into his pocket just like a guy with a pull list and some of those 3 for $2 books he had paid 5 or 10 cents for. I cleaned up some of his overstock problems. getting 67 cents back on a book he had paid $1.50 wholesale on was better than nothing, and depending on how he did on the variants it might be pure gravy. and sometimes I would buy a stack of regular back issues at his marked prices, maybe with a little haggle. 

Before my shop closed, they would hold big sales events at least twice a year.  They'd always put out a bunch of $0.25 and $1 books.  There were always overstock books in those piles of books that had come out in the last year or two.  I always wondered what if I had withheld some of my monthly pulls and just picked them up a few months down the road at the discounted sale price.  Might have saved a few bucks.

4 hours ago, kav said:

There's plenty of SA and BA books you can buy for 5.99.
Heck I was buying lower grade FF annual 6 and thor 134 as well as strange adv in the 100-140s for $5 not that long ago.  Now look at em.

Yup, there's a ton of stuff that ends at $6 or less if you don't look at shipping and even if you do. L'il Pals 1 for $1!! How did I miss that? https://www.ebay.com/itm/LI-L-PALS-1-Marvel-Comic-/224267231171?hash=item34375e5fc3%3Ag%3Aam4AAOSwmOhfzPYI&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

5 minutes ago, the blob said:

Yup, there's a ton of stuff that ends at $6 or less if you don't look at shipping and even if you do. L'il Pals 1 for $1!! How did I miss that? https://www.ebay.com/itm/LI-L-PALS-1-Marvel-Comic-/224267231171?hash=item34375e5fc3%3Ag%3Aam4AAOSwmOhfzPYI&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

image.png.250868e00519ffbd42e9bd3ca56dcf25.png

Edited by kav

8 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Before my shop closed, they would hold big sales events at least twice a year.  They'd always put out a bunch of $0.25 and $1 books.  There were always overstock books in those piles of books that had come out in the last year or two.  I always wondered what if I had withheld some of my monthly pulls and just picked them up a few months down the road at the discounted sale price.  Might have saved a few bucks.

As someone who did this for years with the notion that I would have nice runs of books and at some point if I ever had to go on leave or something I could just read them all straight... it never works out... I may have 80%-90% of the books in some stretch, but the stories are chopped up, and I can never complete a mini or story arc that has over 4 parts! Once in a while I might get a straight run dumped in the cheap box, in which case I'd buy it, sometimes even if I didn't have much interest. My shop put Blade the Immortal 21-131 out and i bought them. Insane. I have no idea what to do with nearly a short box of that title and i am missing 1 - 20!! I have the complete set of Poisin Elves (Sirius). I really thought those had potential. 

10 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

No one wants to see your "Lil Pal" . 

That's what she said.

10 minutes ago, the blob said:

As someone who did this for years with the notion that I would have nice runs of books and at some point if I ever had to go on leave or something I could just read them all straight... it never works out... I may have 80%-90% of the books in some stretch, but the stories are chopped up, and I can never complete a mini or story arc that has over 4 parts! Once in a while I might get a straight run dumped in the cheap box, in which case I'd buy it, sometimes even if I didn't have much interest. My shop put Blade the Immortal 21-131 out and i bought them. Insane. I have no idea what to do with nearly a short box of that title and i am missing 1 - 20!! I have the complete set of Poisin Elves (Sirius). I really thought those had potential. 

Yeah, there's also the fact that the dollar bins have been rifled through multiple times over.  If you found a NM book in there, you were lucky.

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

Yeah, there's also the fact that the dollar bins have been rifled through multiple times over.  If you found a NM book in there, you were lucky.

I would often get them shortly after they were put in there and sometimes before they were put in there. I was showing up at lunch shortly after they opened up. 

On 3/23/2021 at 1:47 PM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

So many other things to do with $5.99 times x, including saving it.

Following-up, although clearly I am a Batman fan, $5.99 even with a pre-order discount it is still a steep price to pay for a comic book (even Batman :smile:). Of course, the price of Detective Comics will rise to that level likely sooner rather than later.

On 3/22/2021 at 8:16 PM, 1950's war comics said:

our local newspaper is $2.50 an issue and it only has about 20 pages... i would never buy one or even read it for free because it is all lies ,.... but it seems that it was only 50 cents an issue 15 years ago ,... so the price has quintrupled since then

Would love to know what local newspaper is all lies.

9 hours ago, kav said:

Yep we never hear abt Lincoln imprisoning newspaper editors or deporting political foes behind enemy lines.

You must have had a crappy curriculum.  I was taught about Lincoln's suspension of habeas corpus during the Civil War in HS. 

... Benefits of a classical education... 

Edited by Buzzetta

8 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

It's interesting because for awhile the Star Wars and GI Joe collectors would do the equivalent of that in the modern era.  They would wait until a vehicle would hit clearance before they would purchase it.  Hasbro's response was to stop the bleed and raise prices on vehicles while making fewer of them if at all.   We saw a noticeable shift in this moving from the Clone Wars around 2010-2012 and future vehicle releases.

What you propose is a sound policy in theory.  Eventually though the shop stops the bleed and orders fewer books and fewer titles. 

7 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

You must have had a crappy curriculum.  I was taught about Lincoln's suspension of habeas corpus during the Civil War in HS. 

... Benefits of a classical education...

Bah I learned more science in HS than you did.  Read more books too.

Edited by kav

2 hours ago, kav said:

Bah I learned more science in HS than you did.  Read more books too.

I doubt that (as part of the curriculum).  I know you probably sit around and read more NOW... but not then.

Edited by Buzzetta

8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I doubt that (as part of the curriculum).  I know you probably sit around and read more NOW... but not then.

I have read an average of 200 books per year since 5th grade.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I have read an average of 200 books per year since 5th grade.

I find it highly unlikely if not preposterous that your schools assigned you 200 books per year from grades 5 through 12.   Read what I wrote.   I said as part of the assigned curriculum. 

2 minutes ago, Frail Grail said:

Just because they're called comic books it doesn't make them actual books (tsk)

Phish is still a great band.