• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Aliens Vol 1 reach cult status
1 1

286 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Dr. Dank said:

Cyber was my favorite wolverine villain.

Nobody, not a single entity that wolverine had ever faced, made him pee his pants like Cyber did.

What was done to that character was blasphemy. 

Ok, kill him and use his adamantium to revive the old wolverine we love. I loved the irony in that, and the fact that wolverine had nothing to do with it. But who is this Dakon BS?

Glad I never read any of that, except on Wikipedia. 

Beats the hell out of me.  I've never read any of it after the feral Wolverine with that Zorro mask or the future one with the metal stub on one arm.  :roflmao:

It really boggles my mind how much lameness they were able to include in that post issue 75 run.  I didn't like what they were doing starting with 48 or so, but I at least read those for tradition's sake.  By the time issue 100 hit, I had already stopped my subscription and have never cared to look back, even after getting back into the hobby pretty heavily around 6 years ago.

Just now, Von Cichlid said:

Beats the hell out of me.  I've never read any of it after the feral Wolverine with that Zorro mask or the future one with the metal stub on one arm.  :roflmao:

It really boggles my mind how much lameness they were able to include in that post issue 75 run.  I didn't like what they were doing starting with 48 or so, but I at least read those for tradition's sake.  By the time issue 100 hit, I had already stopped my subscription and have never cared to look back, even after getting back into the hobby pretty heavily around 6 years ago.

I made it to 115 or so. It was really terrible at that point.

I enjoyed 75 to 100 though. It was a good build up to making wolverine the horseman death.

29 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

Considering you can get the whole package it comes in for that, I was happy to be outbid as well

That's the portfolio mini, right? And not the weird alternate storyline mini books from the toy packages?

21 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

That's the portfolio mini, right? And not the weird alternate storyline mini books from the toy packages?

Yeah.

I dont count the toy books. Those need a lot of work to be graded

Just now, Qalyar said:

Yeah, I had a set at one point, years ago, but they were total dogs. Looked like an actual xenomorph had played with them. Interesting read though.

I almost have a complete set of the figures, still packaged.

12 hours ago, Parabellum said:

When I started collecting the series (2015) #2 and #5 had extremely low census numbers.  @F For Fakecorrect me if I’m wrong but the first 9.8 #2’s where all owned by one person @Iceman399 if I’m not mistaken.  At the time he valued #2 at the same price as #1.  Unfortunately I passed on his offer at the time to purchase the whole set (he had two complete 9.8 runs).  He wasn’t asking anything crazy, I was just a bonehead and my collecting was all over the place.  A year later I still hadn’t smarted up and failed to bid on the last sale (reflected on GPA).

In 2019 Comiclink sold two copies of #2 in 9.8.  One went for over $1k and the other $800.  I purchased the latter and at the time #1 was valued at the same price.  

Again, @Qalyaris right, scarcity doesn’t always equal value.  I believe this to be true with a person who only collects “keys”.  It’s a different ball game when it comes to completists.  I know that I am willing to pay a premium especially if the book is hard to come by.  Most of you would probably cringe at what I would pay for something like the aliens mini comic in 9.8.  I don’t mind paying for rarity, I personally place value in it.  Especially when it comes to early DH books.  But in the big picture #2 shouldn’t be valued more than #1.  

No I didn't have the first few to #2.  I think I am am responsible for 3 of the next 5 though.  I haven't come close to finding another 9.8 of #2 as it's the hardest by far in the set for whatever reason, followed by 5.

12 hours ago, Dr. Dank said:

An aliens mini just went for 130 cdn in 9.6

I bid 40 and thought that was high lol

Guardian comics gets some rare stuff quite often. He's a great guy

Which side of Guardian do you know?  The old guy (Jimmy) at the shop or the young handsome fellow who does all the hard work and only comes out to play at shows (Me) :baiting: @Guardian Comics 

I've loved this book since I got into the game.  I bought a collection close to a decade ago in which the guy speculated on a lot of stuff (500 longs of books).  Most was good spec #1s that panned out...of course there was some not so good spec.  I'm responsible for about 50% of the 9.8's for #1, 2.  Unfortunately that well is empty so I'm stuck hunting like the rest which is a lot of fun to hunt unlike trying to find some easy marvel book in 9.8.

Edited by Iceman399

19 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

No I didn't have the first few to #2.  I think I am am responsible for 3 of the next 5 though.  I haven't come close to finding another 9.8 of #2 as it's the hardest by far in the set for whatever reason, followed by 5.

Which side of Guardian do you know?  The old guy (Jimmy) at the shop or the young handsome fellow who does all the hard work and only comes out to play at shows (Me) :baiting: @Guardian Comics 

🤣🤣🤣🤣

You’re definitely a “plank holder” in the Aliens 9.8 game.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

lol@Iceman399 you are the guy I've dealt with.

Have you been to Calgary expo? I might have met you and not realized it.

No we haven't been out that way.  We toyed with it a few years ago but logistics prevent it for the most part.  Have you changed your board name I don't recognize it :sorry: 

13 hours ago, Parabellum said:

When I started collecting the series (2015) #2 and #5 had extremely low census numbers.  @F For Fakecorrect me if I’m wrong but the first 9.8 #2’s where all owned by one person @Iceman399 if I’m not mistaken.  At the time he valued #2 at the same price as #1.  Unfortunately I passed on his offer at the time to purchase the whole set (he had two complete 9.8 runs).  He wasn’t asking anything crazy, I was just a bonehead and my collecting was all over the place.  A year later I still hadn’t smarted up and failed to bid on the last sale (reflected on GPA).

In 2019 Comiclink sold two copies of #2 in 9.8.  One went for over $1k and the other $800.  I purchased the latter and at the time #1 was valued at the same price.  

Again, @Qalyaris right, scarcity doesn’t always equal value.  I believe this to be true with a person who only collects “keys”.  It’s a different ball game when it comes to completists.  I know that I am willing to pay a premium especially if the book is hard to come by.  Most of you would probably cringe at what I would pay for something like the aliens mini comic in 9.8.  I don’t mind paying for rarity, I personally place value in it.  Especially when it comes to early DH books.  But in the big picture #2 shouldn’t be valued more than #1.  

Yes, you’re absolutely correct! I actually got my #2 from him in a huge trade that involved the Aliens 2, an X-Men 1, my AF15, and a bundle of cash. I think at the time we valued the #2 at around $700, and that was when the #1 could still be had for less than that. I haven’t seen a #2 sell since the prices went crazy this year, but I have no idea what I’d value it at now. The #1 is selling for $3k+ so the #2, due to relative rarity SHOULD surpass that, but most people just want a “key 1st appearance” so I doubt it would go that high. But that book is tough tough tough.

I’ve had my eye on that #2 4th as well, but just can’t justify the price for a reprint. Hopefully you can work something out so I’m not tempted to buy it!

I missed the #1 fifth print at the same time you did, so if we don’t have it, I have no idea who does. It’s not in the registry, is it? I had the #1 set for a few years until you knocked me off the perch, but I don’t mind since I know you’re on a mission! When I got into CGC, the only set I HAD to have was the mini series in 9.8. Since I got that, I’m satisfied. I have raws of most of the other printings. I don’t have a #6 2nd, and have never seen it, so I am also curious about it. If it exists, it must be in very, very small numbers, because I’ve been looking for 25+ years.

I think the most modern comic I have ever bought before this was number 1 of the 2009 DH aliens, I got a daylight variant signed by the queen herself, Sigourney Weaver. 

I picked these up today, only missing the Gleason virgin variant.

20210324_132111.jpg

20 hours ago, Dr. Dank said:

I think the most modern comic I have ever bought before this was number 1 of the 2009 DH aliens, I got a daylight variant signed by the queen herself, Sigourney Weaver. 

I picked these up today, only missing the Gleason virgin variant.

20210324_132111.jpg

Nice! I don't buy moderns either (well, I still have Love and Rockets on my pull list) but most of these should be in my box at the shop. I told them I'd take any of the incentives they qualified for. I seriously doubt they ordered more than 50, so I'll still have to hunt a few of these down. I'm really glad I didn't bite on pre-ordering the 1:500's on eBay at $400+ each. Last night one each of the 1:500's ended on ebay at just a bit over $200, which is more like what I'd like to spend. I didn't buy those as I have spent a ton on back issue the last two weeks and need to do some selling, but I don't think they're going to go nuts, which is comforting. I want them for the collection, but the covers don't do much for me.

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Nice! I don't buy moderns either (well, I still have Love and Rockets on my pull list) but most of these should be in my box at the shop. I told them I'd take any of the incentives they qualified for. I seriously doubt they ordered more than 50, so I'll still have to hunt a few of these down. I'm really glad I didn't bite on pre-ordering the 1:500's on eBay at $400+ each. Last night one each of the 1:500's ended on ebay at just a bit over $200, which is more like what I'd like to spend. I didn't buy those as I have spent a ton on back issue the last two weeks and need to do some selling, but I don't think they're going to go nuts, which is comforting. I want them for the collection, but the covers don't do much for me.

I'd like to get the black cover and Wraparound space cover signed by Sigourney. Or maybe a sketch in silver pen on the black one

2 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

I'd like to get the black cover and Wraparound space cover signed by Sigourney. Or maybe a sketch in silver pen on the black one

I'm not a fan of sigs on comics for the most part, but that would look pretty cool! If I ever had the chance to get her signature, I've got a couple of posters that are ready and waiting for her!