• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

comic book page printing plates
1 1

10 posts in this topic

wasn't sure if I should put it in here but thought these were interesting: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l1313&_nkw=printing+plates&_sacat=3984  Looks like someone stumbled across a collection of these.  I bought an old Hulk cover printing plate about 8 years back for $75, sounds like I got a good deal.  Pretty cool to see these plates for those old covers.

9 hours ago, joefixit2 said:

wasn't sure if I should put it in here but thought these were interesting: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l1313&_nkw=printing+plates&_sacat=3984  Looks like someone stumbled across a collection of these.  I bought an old Hulk cover printing plate about 8 years back for $75, sounds like I got a good deal.  Pretty cool to see these plates for those old covers.

I was getting a case of deja vu, welcome back: 

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/469849-comic-book-printing-plate/

They are interesting historical artifacts but they display soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo poorly. As if the three dimensional weighty aspect wasn't problematic enough, the colorless metals are also marred by a reversal of the image. No thanks. No interest. At all. Zero. None. Zilch. Certainly not for run of the mill copper age covers. I would perhaps rethink my interest if the cover to Amazing fantasy 15 were to appear. Then I might be a bidder at these prices.

9 hours ago, Peter G said:

They are interesting historical artifacts but they display soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo poorly. As if the three dimensional weighty aspect wasn't problematic enough, the colorless metals are also marred by a reversal of the image. No thanks. No interest. At all. Zero. None. Zilch. Certainly not for run of the mill copper age covers. I would perhaps rethink my interest if the cover to Amazing fantasy 15 were to appear. Then I might be a bidder at these prices.

Someone posted the (supposed) printing plate for the cover to Spider-Man 252 on eBay a few years ago. 

I think around 300-400 for good covers, yeah I could see it. As for displaying I think there would be a neat way to do it.

Frame it in a double aperture double matte with the printing plate on one side, and a carefully pressed white board print made directly from the printing plate on the other side. Maybe then a small plaque below showing what issue it was from and who the artists were. It would be something neat and not very expensive (in relation to the art itself). I always thought that cover hand painted color guides were very cheap unique pieces people often overlook.

These are... okay. I am utterly neutral towards them. I think, if I found one I fancied on the cheap (under $60) i'd consider it an absolute steal, but if someone paid more than a couple hundred for one i'd consider them nuts (only in the realm of my own opinion).

Edited by babsrocks31

I think they're pretty cool, and I might be tempted to buy one of a cover I really liked...if I can get it cheap. They're a neat piece of the production process for comic books, but they don't compare to original artwork. I have a couple of trading card printing plates. I was gifted one, and the other I bought for less than $10. I'd probably pay $50 for a comic plate.

On a tangential note, I watched a video recently that talked about some unauthorized reprints and first prints of comics. The guy who did the reprints apparently bought a printing shop and came across a bunch of comic book printing plates, so he used them to reprint some comics!

Edited by BuraddoRun

Hello, I have been interested in purchasing some original metal printing plates produced Marvel or DC but I can only seem to locate them on eBay or Heritage Auctions.

Would anyone on here know of a site that has fairly obscure items like comic printing plates?  I am not looking for expensive high end or key issue plates (over $700) but I would like to buy one or two to add to my collection.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.