• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can MC-ing happen if the book never had it, is in a slab, is never handled and sits in a safe deposit box?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I think this kind of hallucination-driven worry is most often associated with working seventy-hour weeks.

You know anyone who worked 70 hours a week the past several weeks, by any chance?

Here's a copy of cgc nm+ 9.8 squarebound that's loose in the case and clearly no longer a 9.8.  Technically not marvel chipping but consider it my small contribution to your mild neurosis. ; )

IMG_0234.thumb.JPG.0f87fc77e7656b857d35ee19ea36c13a.JPG

15 hours ago, grebal said:

I think this kind of hallucination-driven worry is most often associated with working seventy-hour weeks.

You know anyone who worked 70 hours a week the past several weeks, by any chance?

Here's a copy of cgc nm+ 9.8 squarebound that's loose in the case and clearly no longer a 9.8.  Technically not marvel chipping but consider it my small contribution to your mild neurosis. ; )

Wait, did you drop the slab?

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Chips Ahoy! Original Chocolate Chip Cookies -13oz : Target

if chips happened so easily then I regret the guy in the ebay thread that asked to send it back to the seller, that I said a lot were like that in the slab.

A lot of slabs are like that but snap that is EEK! :eek: 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

Wait, did you drop the slab?

No, I got it that way (with the defect at top edge).

This book is loose inside the case - there is about 1/4 inch of space inside the inner sleeve, and if you shake the slab up and down, the book will slide from top to bottom of inner sleeve, thump, thump.  It's a prime candidate for "SCS" and that's almost certainly what caused the damage, I guess it happened when the seller shipped it to me because that defect wasn't there in the ebay pics.  I console myself that it's the worst slab I own, and most of the other cgc books seem secure and not a case of damage-in-waiting.

A slab sitting flat in a safe deposit box should be pretty safe, imo, (aside from some boxes that create the rusted staple problem that you're already tuned into).  A book is probably as likely to spontaneously combust as spontaneously MC.

6 hours ago, grebal said:

This book is loose inside the case - there is about 1/4 inch of space inside the inner sleeve, and if you shake the slab up and down, the book will slide from top to bottom of inner sleeve, thump, thump.  It's a prime candidate for "SCS" and that's almost certainly what caused the damage, I guess it happened when the seller shipped it to me because that defect wasn't there in the ebay pics.  I console myself that it's the worst slab I own, and most of the other cgc books seem secure and not a case of damage-in-waiting.

A slab sitting flat in a safe deposit box should be pretty safe, imo, (aside from some boxes that create the rusted staple problem that you're already tuned into).  A book is probably as likely to spontaneously combust as spontaneously MC.

copy

23 hours ago, grebal said:

I work 80 hour weeks, every other week.

It makes all my books look 9.8 when they are clearly 8.5

6 hours ago, grebal said:

The defect looked frayed, which would happen with handling, not rattling around in slab.  Did you compare it closely with pics to make sure it's the same book?

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

What is "MC-ing"?? ???

I've read somewhere on the boards the safest way to store slabs is spine-side down. Not flat horizontally. 

"MC"?? Like the Hammer?

source (1).gif

Marvel Chipping... 

Marvel chipping is a printing defect, right?  So you either have it you don’t.  It is not age caused brittleness (which can make your book deteriorate in a slab).

Edited by sfcityduck

4 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Marvel chipping is a printing defect, right?  So you either have it you don’t.  It is not age caused brittleness (which can make your book deteriorate in a slab).

Correct. This is a misuse of the term marvel chipping, which is the effect that dull cutting blades and cheap paper had around the edges of Marvel covers in the 60's.

1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

*you’re

:facepalm: can not believe I pulled that one. I would like to blame predictive text, but unfortunately I can not. Late night speedy reply. My grammar fail. 

Stay in school kids!